The Meat-Free Breakfast thread.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maggot, Oct 10, 2018.

1. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I sort of do too, but then I was never a sausage and bacon guy anyway. I assume it's at least a good stepping stone for some.

Maggot likes this.
  2. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

It puzzles me that some people are really so naive, I sometimes wonder if they're merely being disingenuous.

When they finally perfect lab grown steaks that are as good as the real thing but don't require killing animals, I'll start eating meat again.

Being vegetarian is not necessarily the same as not wanting to eat meat. Think about it people, we've put men on the moon, if we can do that, you can get this.

A380, BristolEcho and treefrog like this.
  3. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I would lose the beans with that particular combo, but looks good.

4. treefrog

treefrog Tauiwi

Live in NZ where we grow heaps of the tasty buggers :D

At the moment the winning breakfast is some avo on white toast with a couple of poached eggs and some cracked pepper, especially as my chickens are now laying and their eggs are absolutely perfect for poaching. Perfect little rugby balls of runny-yolk deliciousness.

kittyP, crossthebreeze, polly and 3 others like this.
  5. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

This is what is persuading me I need to eat less meat. There was a chap on the radio this morning who said we should be consuming one portion of beef, pork or lamb a week, max. As I age i’m naturally eating less meat anyway. The challenge is getting hendo to do the same!

Maggot likes this.
  6. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

This is my veggie breakfast from last Sunday.

Toast, veggie Lincolnshire sausages, beans, grilled tomato, veggie bacon, tofu scramble and mushrooms.

I made the Lincolnshire sausages from this mix, the scramble is silken tofu with garlic and onion powder, turmeric, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper. The veggie bacon is tofurkey slices marinated in olive oil and paprika and then cooked on a griddle pan.
    E1581F7E-3D32-41B1-9C9A-7C4179936315.jpeg

kittyP, Wookey, cyberfairy and 7 others like this.
  7. Callie

Callie Pivoting

are you gonna eat the basil? :hmm:

and you dont like your toast...too toasty :D

(I feel sorry for this thread, its confusing, angry, fighty and if it tries to run the way of the FEB thread people will be too sad about the critical eyes cast over their offerings :D)

8. Callie

Callie Pivoting

It looks too squishy. Needs something crunchy. And rocket is VILE

9. 2hats

2hats

Excellent. All the more for me then.

10. cheesethief

You are a barbarian with the taste buds of a hagfish.

11. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Rocket is lovely, but it has no place in a cooked breakfast.

12. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Most avos I see for sale over here are not from Mexico though - I've been purposely buying quinoa from Spain rather from South America. I've been reading about the siituation in mexico with Avo - it resembles drug wars.

Maggot likes this.
  13. pinkmonkey

I'd like to recommend the 'sunshine breakfast' from coast to coast in Stansted airport. So good a carnivore like me orders it over the meat choices in there. I think they have branches elsewhere - can't find a photo but it includes - roast tomato, grilled peppers, an egg any style - two vegetarian sausages (tasted homemade to me and were very good), two courgette fritters and chunky guacamole.

Teaboy likes this.
  14. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Absolutely agree, its really rather good and all washed down with a 6am pint... Its the only good thing about that hellhole (Stansted airport that is).

On the subject of airports Huxley's at Heathrow T5 also does a decent veg breakfast offering.

pinkmonkey likes this.
  15. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie BeRightOn

tbh I've never really looked, always had Mexico as the prime supplier to the EU. I wonder what impact Avo's are having environmentally on other countries. Some interesting info on the cbi.eu website that has Colombia down as a future importer;

"The worldwide production of avocados is increasing and competition is fierce. Temporary shortfalls in supply or demand (e.g. through border closures or the climate) have a huge impact on prices.

Mexico is by far the largest producer with 1.5 million tonnes in 2014 and a forecast of 1.8 million tonnes in the 2016/2017 season. For Mexico, the European market is an alternative to its usual North American focus and its export to Europe has gone up significantly since 2015.

After Mexico, there are several countries producing between 0.2 and 0.4 million tonnes of avocados per year, among which the Dominican Republic, Peru, Indonesia, Colombia and Kenya.

However, most avocados in Europe originate from Peru and Chile. Colombia is positioning itself as a new upcoming supplier thanks to an enormous increase in production, although quality issues remain a major area for attention.

Guatemala is expected to become a more significant supplier in future as well. Here, producers have developed considerable production volumes and started their export to Europe in 2017. Their exports in the first quarter of 2017 amounted to around ten containers destined to the Netherlands and the United Kingdom, but their full effects will probably take a few more years."

pinkmonkey likes this.
  16. pinkmonkey

Looks like Spain is the only EU country to grow them. Thanks for the info!

17. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Camera too potato.

Eggs look nice but could do with a bit more cooking. Would like to try the black pudding. Good toast, assuming buttered correctly on the flipside....

No judgment on the notauges as they are too out of focus. Beans need more reducing, mushrooms look shrivelled.

Would still eat. 4/10 though as needs more attention next time.

18. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Doolin Cafe, if you're ever in Doolin. They do a fantastic veggie brekky with free filter coffee and they have all manner of tempting cakes for sale too
    Doolin Cafe – Fresh tasty food in delightful surroundings

Also, Cobbs Cafe in Sydenham - biggest bestest veggie brekky I've ever had! Was a tenner like but we were starvacated and it was massive, so. Fried halloumi, poached eggs with hollandaise sauce, wilted spinach, hash browns, best veggie saussie I've tasted, fried tomatoes, big hunks of wholegrain home-baked bread, home-made spicy ketchup, and beans. Nom!
    Home

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    gaijingirl likes this.
  19. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

The veggie Vpud is really good. I discovered it when veggie and still prefer it to the original black puddings even though I'm back on meat.

equationgirl and crossthebreeze like this.
  20. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Thanks for the heads up, I will check the origin of avocados when I buy them.

21. cheesepig

cheesepig Well-Known Member

In theory you can have actual Black Pud as a veggie if - IF - the farmer/abbatoir can find a way to bleed a pig without it dying.

No different from milk.

I give blood. Cup of tea and a Mars Bar I’m back on track. Peppa could do it too.

22. cheesethief

1) Black pudding is usually made with pig fat...

2) It's a misconception that anything can be vegetarian so long as nothing died. The definition is subjective but to many people it means not consuming anything animal based that isn't intended for consumption. Milk is fine because the animal produces it for that very reason. If you chop off a pig's ear but don't kill the pig, it doesn't make the ear a handy vegetarian snack.

Maggot likes this.
  23. Epona

I... don't actually think milk is fine. Loads of male calves die to make sure that folks have milk available, that is the basis of the dairy industry.
    I wouldn't want a pig bled over and over and kept alive to make black pudding either.

(I am not even 100% vegetarian, I was for 20 years but now put myself in the "mostly veggie and occasionally eat meat" bracket - I still find a lot of practices distateful)

EDIT: And I find it disgraceful that a thread about FEB can run to multiple pages with friendly jibes about the ingredients, but this thread cannot even get to the bottom of page 2 without people shit-stirring about it, because it is veggie breakfast.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  24. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I'm about to have scrambled eggs and salad ( beetroot, alfalfa, leaves, baby tomatoes, avocardo, goats cheese)

25. cheesethief

Like I said, it's subjective. Many people choose not to consume milk also. The point I was making is that it's perfectly possible to consume milk that has come from a cow with it being natural & no harm being done. In practice that may not be possible, due to the indirect harm caused by the processes employed in the dairy industry, which is why many eschew it. But it is no way comparable to the use of blood - cows are no more designed to produce blood for consumption than humans are. cheesepig was suggesting milk & blood were equivalent in that respect, when they're not.

26. Epona

Why can't we have a discussion about what makes a good veggie breakfast without this sort of fucking nit-picking though? Either discuss the breakfast, or sod off. Or go and moralise on the FEB thread.

And the same goes to those who criticise people who like meat substitute products also. Not my cup of tea, but I don't think buying a pack of Linda McCartneys sausages in a cardboard pack (which often biodegrades in my freezer), is reason to call anyone out on packaging - for anyone who weighed into this thread about packaging being worse for the environment

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  27. Epona

My ideal veggie brekkie would be:

Scrambled eggs, mushrooms (about a kilo, fried in butter), baked beans, toast - I prefer scrambled but eggs can be done any way you like. Addition of a potato product depends upon how hungry I am. I am not keen on grilled/fried tomatoes (that is just a personal dislike, if you like grillied/fried tomatoes, they should absolutely be part of your breakfast).

Maggot likes this.
  28. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Pic?

29. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

Too late.

30. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

As soon as I seen the thread title I knew it could only go one way. Quite sad really but good on Maggot for giving it a go.