The Malvern Hills

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by teuchter, May 31, 2009.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I may be going there tomorrow for some walking ... any recommendations?

I think I will probably walk along the ridge from the Malvern Beacon or whatever the big hill is called, southwards to Hollybush and then west from there to Ledbury station (or maybe in the reverse direction).

Anything I should make a diversion to see along the way?

2. Madusa

Madusa Baller

Isnt that where the Queen gets her water from?

3. teuchter

I don't know. The queen has never offered me water at her place.

4. selamlar

selamlar is aware of the irony.

St Ann's Well is the best bit of the hills. That is all.

5. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I love the Malverns, used to go sometimes when I was a child as my grandmother lived in south Worcestershire, not too far away.

I can't remember any specific place to recommend though, I'm afraid.

6. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Beautiful part of the world, my Mum is planning to retire to Malvern in a couple of years.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I took my gf up the malverns once

8. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

is this the country bumpkin version of that mtv series?

that would be amazing.

My dads best mate lives next to the westons cider farm thingy up in the malverns. I like visiting there.

dave

9. teuchter

Well, I went there yesterday and it was very nice. Walked from Ledbury, through Eastnor Deer Park to the obelisk thing, and then along the ridge dropping back down into Great Malvern at the end. Not exactly "wilderness" - it's quite built up around much of it especially at the Great Malvern end but the views are expansive and you can just about make out something more like real mountains to the West; I guess the edge of the Brecon Beacons. The paths are well worn, although not particularly signposted in the bits south of British Camp where they go into the forest and it wouldn't be too hard to get slightly lost.

I might post some photos once I get them sorted.

By the way - the journey there by train (Oxford - Worcester - Hereford line) is quite nice, through the edges of the Cotswolds, although First Great Western operate an outrageously padded-out timetable which makes it rather slow. Yesterday evening we left Worcester several minutes late, and spent five minutes or so stationary at at least a couple of the stations along the way, but still managed to arrive into Oxford something like fifteen minutes "early".

10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Quick bump as I've been considering a weekend away in this area in a week or two for a bit of a getaway and some walking. Anyone care to add some recommendations etc.

kebabking likes this.
  11. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

Can't recommend anything in that immediate vicinity but fifteen miles North you have the Severn Valley Railway which as the name suggests tracks that very attractive river between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth.En route there is Bewdley with its riverside pubs,Highley-where the spooky "Signalman" was filmed-and last but not least Bridgnorth perched on a sand-stone cliff above the river.Lots to see in Bridgnorth.Finally for more hill-walking you have Kinver Edge unbeatable on a hot day.Pine woods,sandstone escarpments-probably a carpet of blue-bells lower down just at the moment.HTH.

12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Have been to the SVR once or twice, and bridgenorth of course, but no very little of town or area...

13. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

Definitely an area worth another look hash tag could also mention that if you take the Ludlow road out of Bewdley you go right over the Clee Hills which afford great views of the Welsh Mountains if the weather is right.You can't go wrong in that area.

kebabking and hash tag like this.
  14. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Too much good walking in the area to mention: Wyre Forest, Clee Hills, Long Mynd and Caer Caradoc, Worcestershire Way, River Severn from Bewdley to Bridgnorth and onto Ironbridge gorge - and you can canoe it for about £25 - Stiperstones, Malvern hills, even the Cotswold Way...

Bewdley is an excellent base - lots of nice pubs, very pretty town, unfortunately the Wetherspoons hotel, the George, has had a fire and is closed for refurbishment...