The Lost City of Trellech

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by dlx1, Aug 25, 2006.

1. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

It's like the Welsh Atlantis - except that we know for sure that Trellech actually existed. Trellech was once the biggest city in Wales, bigger even than Cardiff. In 1296 it was thriving - but two hundred years later it was gone, devastated by war, plague and crop failure.

The One Show

2. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Wasn't Cardiff basically a village until a couple fo hundred years ago? Wales had very little urbanisation until industrialisation.

There was also a town under Kenfig sands that was drowned by sea dunes if I remeber correctly. This kind of think is more common than people realise, Dunwich is Suffolk was one of the richest and most important towns in England until it fell into the sea.

If you were really looking for a Welsh Atlantis the legend of Cantref Mawr in Cardigan Bay is closer.

3. niclas

niclas Well-Known Member

Isn't it the legend of Cantre'r Gwaelod in Cardigan Bay?

4. Belushi

Thats what I meant Cantref Gwaelod not Cantref Mawr, Doh :oops:

Much of Cardigan Bay was dry land until a few thousand years ago, you can still see tree stumps etc sometimes when there are very low tides.

5. Dai Sheep

Dai Sheep Active Member

Nice find...I didnt realise we had urbanisations that big here: quarter the size of London is still a fair size for those times, especially in relation to Wales.

6. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

At the height of its steel boom, Merthyr was bigger than Cardiff!:eek: :p

7. niclas

niclas Well-Known Member

But where the feck is Trellech? Typical London-centric media to say Trellech, Wales. We wanna know whether is Gog or Hwntw, sub-Scouse or nasal Anglesey, Kerdiff or Jack!

8. Dai Sheep

Dai Sheep Active Member

Most definitely Hwntw, it's 5 miles south of Monmouth apparently...

http://www.archaeology.co.uk/directory/viewdig.asp?cat=1&dig=161

9. joffle

joffle New Member

thats very interesting! A quarter the size of london is fecking huge for nowadays let alone then.

Just out of interest, how big is cardiff in relation to london? :confused:

10. joffle

joffle New Member

cool you can go help them out it says! Anyone want an urban archeological dig!!? :D

11. bonheddwr

bonheddwr New Member

Cardiff 300,000
    London 7,000,000

Therefore London is more than 20 times the size of Cardiff, and if you include the outskirts, that some people call London, the total is 11/12 million.

London has more than double the population of the whole of Wales.

12. joffle

joffle New Member

so Trellech could have had 2milliion inhabitants!? How does a city like that just disappear!?

13. joffle

joffle New Member

Or thinking about this..........Does it mean it was quarter the size of Medieval London??

14. Dai Sheep

Dai Sheep Active Member

They mean medieval London, which would have been nowhere near as big as todays London.

15. Belushi

Aye Medieval London was just the square mile of the City of London.

Until relatively recent times most Cities were tiny compared to modern metropolises.