The lost boozers of Coldharbour Lane, Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 11, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. TruXta

TruXta tired

3. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Although the current Green Man was built in the Victorian era, an inn called the Green Man, in one building or another, has stood there since Mediaeval times as it was a major drove road.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The whopping great sign on the wall says 'The Sun Of Camberwell'!

[​IMG]

5. TruXta

TruXta tired

:D Err yes, exactly like I said then :mad:

Onket likes this.
  6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Nice feature btw.

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I thought you were referring to the actual article.

8. eroom

eroom Well-Known Member

There was a note through the door the other day saying Antic are appealing against their planning refusal for developing the Harmony Bar site (Railton Road). Mildly surprising in light of their business problems...

Edit:

(Sorry just spotted the thread was lost boozers of coldharbour lane, not Brixton in general).

9. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

And within about 100 yards of Coldharbour Lane we've lost The Paulet Arms on Paulet Road, The Harriers on Wanless Road, The Robin Hood & Little John and the Wickwood Tavern on Flaxman Road, The Rose & Thistle on Warner Road and The Denmark on Denmark Road.

peterkro likes this.
  10. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Really depressing isn't it. Also in that area we've lost the Loughborough Hotel, and the Prince of Wales by Myatts Fields seems to be in trouble too :(

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Just because it's officially called that (which it ain't), doesn't mean anyone's going to actually call it that. They'll still refer to it as the Sun and Doves or The Sun :p

editor likes this.
  13. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

It's a right shitty looking sign :(

14. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

I vaguely remember a post from Mark Dodds saying that the Prince of Wales has already closed down, and 'they' are building flats above it, and offering the pub at a stupid rent so that no-one will ever make a go of it and then it can also be turned into a flat, or shop or church.

15. Brixton Hatter

Thanks - I'd forgotten how long that list was :(

The only one I can think of which isn't on that list is this one:

[​IMG]

Corner of Lowth Road and Warner Road, SE5, just off Coldharbour Lane. I assume it used to be a pub. Does anyone know anything about this one? Is this what used to be the Rose & Thistle ringo ?

16. Brixton Hatter

Ah, you might be right. It popped up in this thread: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/patmos-road-sw9.302354/ but I couldn't find the post by Mark Dodds...

17. ringo

That's the one, been shut a good 6 or 7 years by my reckoning.

18. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

The White Hart, corner of Loughborough/Lilford. I really liked that pub.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Just before it closed for good it was an "underwear bar" for a while.:eek:

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Do tell more!

22. peterkro

It was a gay bar for a bit with the usual blacked painted ply over the windows and a very dark interior,with a sign saying underwear bar.I'm afraid I didn't have the bottle to ever go in.I also can't remember exactly when it was but a good long time ago.
    (having given it some thought it must have been sometime about 92-95)

23. ringo

I'm sure the White Hart was already shut when I moved to LJ in 2001. The Youngs pub on Flaxman Road (Wickwood Tavern) shut down between me putting in an offer and moving in - was gutted, thought I was going to have a lovely Youngs pub right on my doorstep.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm intrigued, so I've asked on Twitter too. :)

25. peterkro

I haven't been able to find anything on Google,that intersection is called fiveways if it helps anyone looking.I don't think it was there long nor seemed to be very busy.I was working at the Fridge at the time so took notice of such things.

After some research I can't find anything although such establishments are not all that uncommon.I did find out that near my new location on the South Bank that the place under the arches at Waterloo called the Pleasuredrome is as I expected a 24hour mens sauna,I guessed that by the number of men outside smoking while wearing shorts in this weather.

26. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Anyone remember this former pub on Denmark Road...........

Attached Files:

27. ringo

Yes, it was The Denmark, still has the name on it doesn't it? I gather it was a pretty good pub, then it was squatted for a long time, Mrs R used to go to parties there. Got turned into flats about 10 years ago.

cuppa tee likes this.
  28. OiZoiOi

OiZoiOi miles to go

any idea why 1 side of the sun is painted and the other one looks like a scene from silent hill? crossed my mind everytime i walk past. i saw some dudes fixing the front a few weeks ago thought they'd paint the whole thing but no they just left it