1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The long, drawn out, and unlamented death of Indymedia

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Tom A, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think you're always going to get that when your model is to pay contributors? They want to make names for themselves.

What is tediously predictable is that they have got less diverse in their politics since getting more money behind them. There was always slightly wonk-ish guff in there about parliamentary politics, but it was matched with some more interesting stuff. Much less of that now.

ETA: This just in:

2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Bristol cable is more artisan cafe whilst the bristolian is more local boozer. And the latter is still getting results whilst sticking to the old school basics of production and design. That's because of the quality of the investigative works and the long established contacts.

chilango and editor like this.
  3. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

...And snaffling exclusives from the lumpen scandal-sheet The Bristolian into the bargain :D

4. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

5. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

The Canary is run as a private limited company and is funded by advertising and local fundraisers - hardly a grassroots organisation either. Never really bothered with Novara for similar reasons why I am put off the Canary.

By "professional" I meant that it committed itself to more than being a zine that was distributed at protests, social centres and squats and actually committed to being a fully fledged media operation, a bit like what the MULE was and the Salford Star still is.

6. butchersapron

Salford Star has Terry Duckworth writing in support of the Syrian revolution and against bent councils, Always going to be a winner.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Never asked :(

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

I did one :thumbs:

Well, spent hours and hours tidying up the cover image pixel by fucking pixel and plonking it on the cover with some "amusing" sub header, if that counts as "design".

9. butchersapron

End of last year.

opps, sorry that was a reply to my brother on something else.

Pickman's model likes this.
  10. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

The "anarchist milleu" tended to be (and still does tend to be) an echo chamber in itself though, particularly when it came to working with people who weren't anarchists (or overtly political at all) but who still shared a common cause with on a particular issue.

11. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Anything with enough coherence to be called a movement is also probably an echo chamber of sorts.

Direct Action campaigns by anarchists have engaged all sorts of people.

12. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

But have also alienated many others.

13. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Frackers, Fox hunters and Fascists?

Celyn likes this.
  14. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

None of the campaigns against the above are entirely, dare I say even mostly due to anarchists, all shades of "the Left" play a role in building those campaigns.

It's when a group goes too far and through the use of extreme tactics alienate those that otherwise are sympathetic to the cause that the problems arise.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017