Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Sasaferrato

Grateful for what I have.
This is a thread for tech questions or comments that don't justify a whole thread of their own.

Starter:

How much bandwidth does a voice call take?

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
This is a thread for tech questions or comments that don't justify a whole thread of their own.

Starter:

How much bandwidth does a voice call take?
Depends how long you're talking... But it's good to talk.
How much charge is left in a battery.

Sasaferrato

I was just thinking (watching Prince in the rain) that in the old days, things went to the mixing desk by wire, now it is wireless. Is there anything that can tune into the various feeds? Also, could you record all the feeds and make your own mix?

xenon

ContentIsBuffering....
I was just thinking (watching Prince in the rain) that in the old days, things went to the mixing desk by wire, now it is wireless. Is there anything that can tune into the various feeds? Also, could you record all the feeds and make your own mix?
I'm not sure what you're talking about, telephone exchange and mobile phones? The answer is no, you couldn't intercept all those phone calls, which are encrypted. Unless you're GCHQ.

xenon

ContentIsBuffering....
Would it be classed as cheating to have sex with a robot? What if the robot looked like your partner?
[/QUOTE]

Richard Herring's lawyer wants a word...

Sasaferrato

I'm not sure what you're talking about, telephone exchange and mobile phones? The answer is no, you couldn't intercept all those phone calls, which are encrypted. Unless you're GCHQ.
OK, I obviously haven't explained what I mean.

Back in the day, the singer in a band sang into a microphone. The signal from the microphone went by cable to the mixing desk. Now the microphone is wireless, so, a signal is being sent from the mic to the mixing desk. What frequency band does the mic (and all the other things) use, obviously something can pick up the signal, or there would be no sound.

Nivag

Elton John let people mix his show with an App

OK, I obviously haven't explained what I mean.

Back in the day, the singer in a band sang into a microphone. The signal from the microphone went by cable to the mixing desk. Now the microphone is wireless, so, a signal is being sent from the mic to the mixing desk. What frequency band does the mic (and all the other things) use, obviously something can pick up the signal, or there would be no sound.
It isn’t ideal to use wireless mics when a wired one can be used. It offers some advantages on stage but I don’t think they’re widely adopted in studio recording scenarios (music, not television) where you want the optimum signal.

I know that doesn’t really answer your question but wired mics are very much considered superior to wireless ones. For obvious reasons such as the possibility of interference.

Last edited:

RubyToogood

can't remember what goes here
WHY has literally ALL my mother's tech stopped working during the 5 weeks she was in hospital?

I thought I had it all sorted - the email, the ipad, the BT website, the printer - but no, now her printer will not scan. This means I have to go to fucking Wimbledon AGAIN. I mean, I want to go and see her, but I don't want to HAVE to go :mad:

Then there's the bloody landline which has been shit for years and BT seem unable to fix. Argh!

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
WHY has literally ALL my mother's tech stopped working during the 5 weeks she was in hospital?

I thought I had it all sorted - the email, the ipad, the BT website, the printer - but no, now her printer will not scan. This means I have to go to fucking Wimbledon AGAIN. I mean, I want to go and see her, but I don't want to HAVE to go :mad:
The clue's in the name. It's a scanner you need for that :D