The Little Drummer Girl - BBC 2018

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by hot air baboon, Oct 29, 2018.

1. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

6 episodes for this to unwind - 1 down

a nice straight faithful book-to-film adaptation in the Tinker Tailor tradition & which has further been kept it in the original time period rather than succumbing to the temptation to update it to the contemporary scene

there was a film version with Diane Keaton which sunk without trace which I've not bothered to hunt out even though I enjoyed the book so am hoping patience will be rewarded with something approaching the quality of the Baader-Meinhof Complex feature film

Sprocket. and Pickman's model like this.
  2. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

It’s been advertised with pics of my former council estate, which the Radio Times locates in Prague rather than in Camden. Even though Rowley Way gets used loads as a backdrop for just about anything.
    Where is The Little Drummer Girl filmed?

3. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

Felt a very confident first hour. Any Le Carre deserves more than a six hour adaptation but at least it's not a daft 2-hour Hollywood page-ripping exercise like that last Tinker tailor hatchet job with Cumbertwat.

4. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

I rather enjoyed it, but it was an hour of set up. It's got a great cast, I thought the lead, Pugh, did a great job with quite a tough role. She had to be just skeptical and prepared to be swept off her feet enough.

5. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I'd love to see this but I don't have TV or access to iPlayer.

Coincidentally, I've just been watching the DVD (charity shop bargain ) of the BBC series of Smiley's People :)

Sprocket. likes this.
  6. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Not particularly a Cumberbatch fan but I actually enjoyed that film, I remember the BBC Tinker Tailor and I don't always like remakes but I thought the film was done well.

7. hot air baboon

but in some ways the BBC Tinker Tailor is *so* incredibly slow-paced by today's standards it would never get made that way today. I'm slightly disappointed that the "set-up" was done almost too quick as personally I grok all that Frederick Forsyth "meticulous planning" Day of the Jackal schtick - all the stuff about scouting her out, preparing the holding cell for the target etc etc .

An apotheosis of an adaptation for me would be a combination of Day of the Jackal type set-up with the German Baader film

The Fornicator likes this.
  8. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Enjoyable and stylish.

Great attention to detail too, which so many get wrong. Having something set in 1979 doesn't mean all the cars are from 1979.

Sort of detail that normally jars me, but with this they really look like they made the effort.

A decent first episode. :)

9. The Fornicator

It was certainly called Tinker Tailor but it was as much le Carre's Tinker Tailor as St Pepper would be St Pepper with everything except the base line stripped out. It was a one-themed money-making exercise.

10. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

I noticed that the New Penguin Shakespeare edition of As You Like It was far too recent. :(

Although a couple of weeks ago on Doctor Who, Rosa Parks clearly had an Ikea clock on her office wall.

D'wards, imposs1904 and Reno like this.
  11. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Fair enough, but with TV budgets you can’t expect 100% authenticity. I like the idea of Rosa Parks shopping at IKEA though. :)

12. hot air baboon

:(

the prop person responsible should be made to walk around in 70's gear for the next month - that'll larn 'em to pay attention to what decade they are meant to be in

[​IMG]

imposs1904 likes this.
  13. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Never been a huge fan of he condescending "the decade that fashion forgot" attitude while pointing to Woolworths style polyester suits. Much of 70s fashion was pretty great. 70s fashion was far more diverse than the later revisionism of the decade would have you believe. There was a whole revival of 30s and 40s style clothes. In the 90s and 00s I went through a couple of decades where I wore mostly 70s imitations of 40s clothes because I wasn’t a fan of the baggy clothes that were current then. Of course not everything was great, but the same is true now.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  14. hot air baboon

well if they can find anything like that in the charity shop after they've finished checking out the book section they are welcome to wear it :thumbs:

15. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

My mate is an extra in this.

A380 and Mrs Miggins like this.
  16. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Indeed.

I'm a great fan of '70s watches (less so the late '70s), and there are companies producing great 70s inspired creations. Even large companies like Seiko have ranges like Recraft which sell massively well. I have a rather funky green and orange one which is 70stastic. :oops: The originals are hideously expensive, but at the same time really are something else. :cool:

Reno likes this.
  17. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

imposs1904 and Reno like this.
  18. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  19. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  20. Mrs Miggins

Watch it...it's very good! Its on Amazon Prime if you've got that.

imposs1904 likes this.
  21. Mrs Miggins

Episode 2...La Pugh is utterly magnetic.

22. The Fornicator

For a 22-year old who's never been near an acting class she is a mature performer.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm loving this so far! And, yes, Pugh is an incredible actress.

LynnDoyleCooper and Mrs Miggins like this.
  24. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees