The learning an instrument thread.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by xenon, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Ace cover art, too :cool:

danny la rouge likes this.
  2. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I fell in love with MPE-capable instruments like the roli seaboard some years ago. MPE basically means that each key has its own expressiveness, eg you could press 3 notes and only bend the pitch of one of them, and the same with other parameters. Its fun stuff, and goes surprisingly far at making electronic instruments have the subtle nuances of expression that people who know how to play can get out of acoustic ones.

But I'm not a keyboard player, and I have no shame about cutting corners such as using technology to ensure I only activate notes that are appropriate for the scale I am playing in. Also, balls to the whole white keys and black keys thing! I am totally in love with analog synths and I'll be damned if I let my lack of traditional piano key skills get in the way.

So I just treated myself to a Sensel Morph, because it supports MPE but also lets me design my own layouts in addition to the fixed musical overlays I got with it in a bundle. Only had it a day but I love it already, just wish my room would cool down so I can get on with it rather than melting!

No images of my custom stuff yet, here are a few generic ones to give some sense of wtf I'm on about. Its basically a very large multi-touch pad which also reads many levels of pressure and is super super sensitive, and you can place overlays on top of the tracking area. Its not limited to music applications but thats where it makes the most sense for me. I expect this will all sound like a bit of a gimmick but honestly, it goes way beyond that. Its also so sensitive that it has a lot of potential for people who have, for example, physical problems that affect finger strength or other stuff that might impinge on their ability to play traditional instruments for any length of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

This is the sort of note layout I want from my custom instrument that I will then go on to learn how to play. Can't quite achieve this in full with the Sensel due to some limitations in the current version of the custom layout creator, but I just knocked up a prototype that only has 45 keys and I love it already.

Harmonic Table Color Octave Map

4. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

I found this website as I want to work more on finger picking. It's been 7 months of mostly strumming but I actually enjoy finger picking a lot in terms of how it sounds.

No idea if it's any good, if anyone has other sites for finger picking practice to recommend, or songs, I'd appreciate it greatly!

16 Legendary Fingerpicking Patterns

Fez909 likes this.
  5. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

When I was attempting to learn guitar, I only wanted to do finger picking, too. I ended up just trying to play classical songs (which is pretty much all finger picking), using this site: Classical Guitar Tablature

Very basic, but did the job.

girasol likes this.
  6. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

2nd song, very famous, 'choro' (Tico Tico)
    - but that's very advanced for me, something for the future! I've bookmarked the page, thanks.

Meanwhile I'll just enjoy him playing it!

*starts growing nails on right hand* edit: his eyebrows are great performers too!

Fez909 likes this.
  7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Search for the "easy" tag. Even some of the easy ones were pretty tricky, but some were doable!

girasol likes this.
  8. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

If you want to learn the specific style known as "fingerpicking" then this is THE book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Country-Bl...n+grossman&dpPl=1&dpID=51XL8zFClxL&ref=plSrch

This is a very different technique to classical.

If however you mean "using your fingers to pick notes rather than strumming", then that is a different question. I think it is a good idea to learn the absolute correct classical technique at first, including exactly how to hold guitar etc, with a teacher tbh. Otherwise you get bad habits that are difficult to shake

11. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Yes to all of that. (Including the Grossman book).

rutabowa likes this.
  12. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

The first book that really got me into guitar (ie passionate, rather than schoolkid learning) was stefan grossmans rev gary davis volume, I kept understanding new bits of that like 20 years after first getting the book! I met stefan when I was about 15 after he played, he is (obviously) a great guy

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  13. danny la rouge

That's pretty cool. Good name drop.

If people want to learn classical guitar technique (and how to read music), this series of books by Debbie Cracknell is excellent:

Debbie Cracknell: Enjoy Playing Guitar - Tutor Book 1 (Book/CD) - Classical Guitar Books - Tuition | musicroom.com

You can use them without a tutor. But it's easier with a tutor who can spot errors creeping in (posture, hand positioning, volume, tone, etc), but there's a CD (though I advise trying to read the music first then listening to the CD after to check), and you can also find clubs which some self-motivated learners prefer to tutors.

girasol likes this.
  14. danny la rouge

girasol likes this.
  15. girasol

girasol Ubuntu