The learning an instrument thread.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by xenon, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

It's just more complex than anything I've ever played before. I'm still not great right knowing the notes on the right hand - left is a shit show.

I tried playing the part separately, and I can do the melody OK (few mistakes), but although I know the song, it doesn't always sound how I remembering it sounding until I put the bass part's in. So separating them out makes it easier, but also because there's lots of repeated notes, it sounds 'wrong', or I can't even tell if it's right.

Just need to practice more, obviously. And wondered the best way of doing it.

No, no need to do that. But thanks for the offer :) I'll stick with it

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I am unsure about this bit tho:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 19.02.05.png

So I know the mouth off the smiley guy ( :) ) means hold the note for the length of time of the two notes, so you only play that key once.

But the chord underneath...is that to be played halfway through the tied note length or on the end of the tied note section or...?

3. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I reckon 6/8 timing is probably quite a challenge if yr starting out! It is at least grade 3 level isnt it? (as far as I remember back)... however it is a great challenge!

What might be useful working out timing is printing it out and writing in pencil above each bar 1 2 3 1 2 3 (every bar is divided into 6, every note falls on one of those counts)... thats what my old teacher got me to do.

danny la rouge and Fez909 like this.
  4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I'm just concentrating on the notes themselves for now...timing can come later :facepalm:

5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Ah but the timing/counting is key to answering the questions you have! It tells you when to play the notes

danny la rouge and Fez909 like this.
  6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Yep, I've just realised that :facepalm: :)

rutabowa and danny la rouge like this.
  7. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Oops, sorry.

Here's an exercise to limber you up. It's the first section simplified. Remember 6/8 is jig time. So the right hand is saying jiggedy jiggedy. (1-2-3, 1-2-3). The left hand is doing 1 2. Because 6/8 is two beats expressed as two groups of three eight-notes.

Try this first:

timing.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Fez909, existentialist and rutabowa like this.
  8. danny la rouge

Indeed. Hopefully this ^ addresses that.

9. danny la rouge

Notes are grouped into beats. So those right hand groups of three are beamed together into the beats, the pulse if you like. In the space of time your left hand is doing a beat, your right hand is doing "jiggedy".

Fez909 likes this.
  10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Another v good exercise my teacher used to make me do approaching a new piece was to tap out the timing of the notes on your leg along with a metronome... so you didn't need to think about the notes at all, you just got the discipline of getting the timing/length of notes exactly right.

danski, Fez909 and danny la rouge like this.
  11. danny la rouge

Rather than have clowns like me dropping you in the deep end, get the Complete Piano Player Omnibus Edition, then you can choose tunes that are at your level. It's good, and you can probably get a used copy cheaply. Fez909

Fez909 likes this.
  12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Don't worry man, I asked for this :D

And I'm making progress! I can nearly do the first 2 lines/8 bars.

(is there a name for a group of bars that fit on one line? The stave? Or is the entire piece on one stave, just split?)

PippinTook and danny la rouge like this.
  13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I have these books, btw:

images.jpg

19688449_max.jpg

The teacher bases the lessons around the first one. It's not very exciting (expected).

The second was given to me by my ex. It's about as unexciting as they come, but useful!

danny la rouge likes this.
  14. danny la rouge

The technical term (are you sure you're ready for this?) is "a line".

Fez909 likes this.
  15. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! /wɜːst tɜːf ɒn ɜːθ/

I bought this book 10 years ago, after 10 years of classical training, and I still can't play jazz.

Jazz theory is hard.

For any newbies, I'd start with improv rather than classical training. Sets your mind to work.

You learn to speak before you learn to read. Same with music I recon.

16. FabricLiveBaby!

Shit.. Pics!!

20180705_224648.jpg 20180705_224719.jpg

Fez909 and danny la rouge like this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

danny la rouge - Sorry to bother you (again), but is that G in the 7th bar right?

The bit with B and A (first chord) sounds a bit...off?

18. danny la rouge

The left hand chord is a G major triad. D, G, B.

The right hand is D and A. That's just because the melody does that. It resolves to the G while your left hand is still playing the chord, so you get something like a sus2 resolving to the major triad. Sounds odd when you don't resolve it, but it's resolved on the last syllable of "jiggedy".

FabricLiveBaby! and Fez909 like this.
  19. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Fair enough. That's the bit I get a bit stuck so I guess I'm not resolving it, and that's why it sounds off.

FabricLiveBaby! likes this.
  20. FabricLiveBaby!

You NEED to resolve suspended chords. There called suspended cos "suspense", and with suspense you need resolution.

A suspended 2nd is my absolute favourite.. It's so dissonant, and the resolution is just such a relief.

Fez909 likes this.
  21. FabricLiveBaby!

It's a really great book BTW

22. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

This thread might turn into Music Theory: All Of It, the way things are going :)

AnnaKarpik and danny la rouge like this.
  23. FabricLiveBaby!

Mate.. The circle of fifths BLEW MY MIND.

CircleofFifths.png

Watch it and your life will never be the same again ;

danny la rouge, mojo pixy and Fez909 like this.
  24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm not ready to grok it yet...

25. danny la rouge

Yeah, you need the hands to be counting the jiggedy jiggedy together.

You're holding that D+A down for all of "jigged", then on the "y" syllable hit G. Then your left hand plays the 2nd chord, but you're still holding G with your right hand while your left plays "jig", and "gedy" is G -> F.

If that makes sense.

Fez909 likes this.
  26. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Reading it didn't make sense...putting my hands on the keys while reading it did :thumbs:

I should be paying you instead of my teacher :facepalm:

27. danny la rouge

I'm fine with that. ;)

Fez909 likes this.
  28. danny la rouge

Watched that. (It's the longest amateur YouTube clip I've ever watched, so he held my very irritable attention well). He's even then only scratched the surface. But I'm using his mnemonic from now on: it's much better than the traditional ones.

One quibble: he glossed over his anti-clockwise move. Going that direction gives you fourths. He probably just didn't want to confuse matters, but he gave a mnemonic, so I think he should have been clearer on that.

Fez909 and FabricLiveBaby! like this.
  29. danny la rouge

This the book I use, FabricLiveBaby! It's very good. And though I use it regularly, it's still got years' left of learning in it. I tend to use it like an encyclopaedia rather than working through it in order.

IMG_2924.JPG IMG_2925.JPG

FabricLiveBaby! and Fez909 like this.
  30. danny la rouge

Just to be clear, though - I'm absolutely not recommending that book to beginners.

However, despite its name, its an invaluable music theory bible, not just for jazzers.

existentialist likes this.