1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The learning an instrument thread.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by xenon, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:44 PM.

1. xenon

xenon ·≈0

I've played guitar for donkies years and usually had a keyboard. Fed up with kack handedly trying to work things out on keys, got a few actual piano lessons this year. not practised as much as I should have. :oops: It's an old Novation synth / control keyboard with semi weighted keys. Nothing like a proper piano of course.

Recently trying to play this.

It' srelitavely simple but finding a bit of a stretch with the right hand. I'm bad about learning things the whole way through TBH.

So yes. What instrument are you learning. Lessons. How often do you practise. Do you play anything else. What pieces are you learning. Recommendations.

All that stuff.

2. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

Been playing piano since I was seven and had lessons til I was 16. Got to the point where I was practicing two or three hours a day - Bach's Inventions was the last stuff I learned, probably grade six level (but I never took the exam as you needed grade five theory and I wasn't much good with theory). What I do remember is that for me at least if I didn't practice scales I lost speed and flexibility. I also know that I haven't got any better since I stopped lessons because I haven't played anything difficult. Pure pleasure, familiar chords or simple improvisation is what I do on piano or keyboard.

I taught myself guitar from age 18, and have gone through periods of playing stuff that was slightly difficult until I had it nailed. My fingers don't seem to work in the way that would allow blinding speed or fancy widdly-widdly, but I can bang out a few riffs and and some Coxon-esque stuff here and there.

TL;Dr: practice scales often. Don't play stuff that's easy unless for pleasure. Get a metronome.

xenon likes this.
  3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Recommendations:

- When you learn a new scale/arpeggio/riff/lick/melody fragment take it round the circle of fifths - Circle of fifths - Wikipedia

- Familiarise yourself with common chord progressions in every key (I,IV,V - I,vi,IV,V - ii,V7,I etc).

- get to know the four main chord types (major, minor, dominant seventh, half diminished) in all their inversions.

han, xenon and S☼I like this.
  4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Also, practice schedule: the more the better, but little and often is better than infrequent binges. A little every day will be more beneficial to your progress than the sum of those times only once a week.

han, xenon and S☼I like this.
  5. han

han brixton hill hobbit

At the moment, I'm learning bass guitar and trumpet. I'm really loving learning new instruments at the age of 44 and with the bass, particularly, I sometimes play it for hours and hours. Once or twice a week. Which I know is not what you're supposed to do, but hey. It's fun. The trumpet I play once a week in a brass band and practice it.... when I get the chance.

Basically, I'm learning instruments in a completely free and unstructured way compared to how I learned the violin and piano, both of which I have played since I was 7, doing all the grades, doing music at uni etc, then getting a bit fed up and not playing at all in my 20s and early 30s. Until I was 18, I used to practice each instrument daily, and was a much better musician then than I am now. But I enjoy it all much more now.

The key is really putting the hours in. In honesty, I think best to just go with the flow and feel it, practice when you feel like it, once you'e got past the basics. If you love it enough, you'll do it every day anyway. At the beginning of learning an instrument, however, it's definitely a good idea to play daily if you can.

The key is to keep loving it. If you ever feel like you don't, you know you're taking the wrong approach.

existentialist likes this.
  6. Casual Observer

Casual Observer Well-Known Member

This chap seems to have a bit of the Max Richter about him but the singing is well off:

Rosemary Jest likes this.