The Last Of Us

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by ohmyliver, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

Anyone else looking forward to this? Out on Friday. Ps3 exclusive, done by Naughty Dog.

Getting a-mazing scores across the board. It's something like the 10th 10/10 given by Edge magazine since the early 90s, for example. http://www.edge-online.com/review/the-last-of-us-review/

2. ohmyliver

And.. It's very good. Graphics excellent, stealthy combat with a scrabbling around for bricks to stove someone's head in because you've got four bullets left desperate edge. The writing is good. The movement even has the heaviness of middle age done well.

And I'm only a couple hours in, but if you have a PS3 this should be a must buy

3. Yata

Yata Well-Known Member

watched someone playing it on twitch, it is, like a lot of games these days; a really good interactive movie

4. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

Played the first two hours of this last night. The opening sequence is amazing. It's slightly descended into chest high wall cover shooter territory at the moment, but i'm hoping that's only a small part of it.

5. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Just ordered it. I haven't played the ps3 for ages. The last couple of games bored me.

Fingers crossed this one will hit the spot.

tufty79 likes this.
  6. ohmyliver

It is a bit 'chest high wall cover shooter' until the ammo runs out. Which is frequently even at 'normal' difficulty. Then it becomes a 'chest high wall cover sneak around trying to pick off people/infected by strangling them (the controller vibrating until they die while you're doing this is a good touch)/beating them to death with a 4 by 4 or metal pipe/looking for ingredients for a Molotov cocktail and trying to craft it without being discovered -er'.

The scripting is what makes it I think. There are things that annoy me a little bit, like why don't human opponents with guns drop them when dead? But generally, I still think it's a great game, with some things that really should be in other games, like the game not pausing when you apply a health pack/craft supplies/rummage around in your backpack for your other gun.

7. ohmyliver

8. fen_boy

The clickers are horrible.

9. ohmyliver

but not as annoying as the stalkers.

Am about 80% of the way through, and I'm still very impressed by it. The writing is easily on a bar with an HBO series.

10. fen_boy

I'm finding that I'm having a fair bit of success taking a Leroy Jenkins approach. I don't think it's meant to be played that way.

11. ohmyliver

what difficulty are you playing at though?

12. fen_boy

Normal.

13. Epona

Epona Tired & Emulsional...

I don't have a PS3, but a friend of my OH told him that this is 22Gb - is that correct? If so must have some hefty sound files and cutscenes! That's not a judgement at all by the way (the game sounds great), but if that is correct it's one hell of a large file for a game!

14. ohmyliver

It's roughly 26gb. Fits on one bluray disc though.

yeah there's about an hour and a half of cut scenes (it's about 12-20 hours to complete the game). There's also a lot of incidental conversations in game between the main characters like Ellie having a sort of 'no really? a truck that went around the streets selling ice cream? really?' conversation when you walk past a derelict ice cream van, but these really help the plot/ambience of the game. Slightly annoying because my impetus was to search everywhere to scavenge everything, but other characters walk off talking to each other and it's just so well scripted that I didn't want to miss the dialogue, but you know you really need to scavenge everything, just in case you'll need that extra molotov, health pack, nail bomb, 4 by 4 with blades taped onto it etc.

15. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

Bought this last week, been working so I'm only about 3 or 4 hours into it. Gameplay-wise it's just your normal survival horror. However it's one of the most immersive experiences I've ever had. Gfx and audio are absolutely stunning, story-wise...well...Deus Ex was my favourite ever but this has far better characterization so far.

16. ohmyliver

It's the writing that makes it a great game. Although the fantastic graphics and audio helps.

The second half is better than the first half as well.

Multiplayer is actually not bad, so long as you can get teamed up with people who realise that it's all about teamwork, rather than being a hung ho lone twat.

17. DexterTCN

Oh.....awesome.!

18. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

Good to know as I'm half way through. I haven't played a single player game in over 6 years. I'm loving it so far. :cool:

19. DexterTCN

Finished this today. How right you are.

Many of the non-spoiler reviews I read/watched before getting this, including here, talked about the killing. About how sometimes you knew you were doing a bad thing. When I played Deus Ex I wanted my character to change, to rebel. When I played this, there was an assumed morality (mine) when I played but there was a point near the end
    where I quickly shot three unarmed doctors in the head
    that I realised that nothing else mattered.

I felt the guilt, I understood the actions and what I was saying to myself.

I didn't check to see if I could just lift Ellie from the operating table

I just killed them....

because they were going to kill her, so fuck them, die, you fuck with her you die...get the message?

An immersive experience superior to any other I've had...that includes FF7, RE1 and a few others. This topped them all.

The way media works...there is no way there won't be a follow up to this...if they do a follow up on the PS4 and it gets positive reviews I'd buy one.

20. ohmyliver

Yeah. Agreed. Even though it would seem like the 'wrong' choice, it's hard to imagine that the Joel would have made any other choice.
    Especially when he starts calling Ellie "baby girl", which is what he called Sarah.
    I hear that domain names have been already registered... I can only hope that it's a sequel set in the same world, because the Joel and Ellie story is done, and I fear that to continue it wouldn't work. I'm already looking forward to the single player DLC though. Plenty of scope for other stories to be told.
    The whole Ish thing for example.
    I went back and played it on hard mode (having completed it on normal) and I think it's a better game on hard. Although parts seemed easier than when I first played it like the first time you encounter a clicker with runners, which I found annoyingly difficult the first time, but breezed through on hard mode. Especially as everything is in short supply, so you have to use bricks and bottles much more. But even clickers go down if you stun 'em with a bottle or brick and then use another to club their head off.

My only real beef with it is that it's a PS3 only title... and I say this as a PS3 owner.

21. DexterTCN

You can do that? Fuckin hell.

22. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

It looks really good, but a lot of the time it has the feel of a film where there's the occasional chance to direct the action yourself for a bit.

23. DexterTCN

Won't deny it. I wouldn't say it has the most playability...that goes to the likes of tetris.

What you say isn't a drawback though, the reason you fight through those bits is to get to the next bit of the film.

A compelling narrative.

tendril likes this.
  24. Johnny Canuck3

Everyone wants different things from gameplay, I suppose.

25. DexterTCN

Yes...everyone wants something different.

Just now, this qualifies. I'm pretty sure there are already 20 games in production that try to replicate that difference.

26. ohmyliver

I know, it was an 'oh-shit-I've-got-no-melee-weapon-or-shiv' moment of desperation...

Johnny Canuck3 it is like a film where the action parts are played out by the watcher... it's not really that different to say Call of Duty (except with a plot/dialogue that doesn't feel like they are the result of a caffeinated brainstorming session by 14 year old boys)

27. Johnny Canuck3

Similar to the campaign, but not the on-line play, which is pretty much the only type of game play I much enjoy nowadays. I'd rather match wits with other people than with the algorithm.

28. ohmyliver

Fair enough. Although TLoU's multiplayer is good.. but isn't the whole levelling yee-haw shoot fest that CoH et al are...

29. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Finished it on normal and it was immensely satisfying. Re-playing on Hard now and it's a very different game, even though certain parts seems a little easier, ie the room in the office block with the 4x runners and clicker. You just have to remember to have a shiv and a brick with you at all times!

30. DexterTCN