1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Last Jedi : BEWARE SPOILERS YOU SHOULD

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by ruffneck23, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Move along.

2. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

still going to watch

3. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

apart from "what the hell", "godspeed", "bastard" it felt about right.
    [/QUOTE]

"Weeks" and "Bloody" were my :hmm: script jarrers. Franchise ruined ;)

But thats half its charm (see also: Bottom Eddie on Hux's bridge?)

I thought it was a huge triumph in originality. The pattern of this being the srs baddies triumph (to set up the rousing finale film) wasn't as pronounced as I was fearing.

I thought bringing life to Snoke was interesting.

Luke's death was a bit "oh, he's not dead really, phew/ah, spoke too soon...".

Was it too funny/cute? Maybe. Tho I can't complain as I lolled at the Poe/Hux exchange at the start.

Literally did the full sharp intake of breath thing like an 11 year old when the broom moved. That was ace :thumbs:

Lolling at Carrie Fisher/Mary Poppins point from earlier. Too true :D

(Can we fuck it off with spoiler quotes too, please :thumbs:)

donkyboy likes this.
  4. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

I thought the jokes were excellent. Star Wars needs that type of humour to undercut the essential ridiculousness of it all, and to remind you that it's meant to be fun.

kabbes, Orang Utan, Rimbaud and 5 others like this.
  5. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

I agree. Some really funny moments. The delighted shock in the cinema when Luke tossed the lightsaber over his shoulder was great. "Page-turners they are not"

And my fave...Oooh, a new ship. That's cool but a bit odd, looks quite like a steam iron...oh, wait

6. Ted Striker

That was utter cinema magic:thumbs:. The universality of the thought process, the casual cinema style millisecond pause before polite ripples of laughter...Absolutely loved it :D

7. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

I saw it this morning, and really wasn't impressed at all. I agree on Ridley. Watching her In this and the force awakens I am always acutely aware that I am watching somebody acting. She was fine in murder on the Orient express, so yes maybe just miscast. Like she doesn't quite fit in the world.

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  8. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Blink and you miss appearance of Michaela Coel.

9. krtek a houby

And did Snoke tell Rey he liked her spunk or did I imagine that?

Badgers and SpookyFrank like this.
  10. S☼I

Yes, he did. Bloke next to me snorted.

11. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

IMO all the three most recent SW films (TFA, Rogue 1, Last Jedi) can be summarised by "great beginning, boring middle and decent ending". Except perhaps Last Jedi as the ending wasnt as good as the others.

12. Omaplata

Omaplata Ex Lurker

I'm ashamed to say I snorted also. Not as much as during Alien Covenant when Fassbender said "I'll do the fingering" but still...

emanymton and Badgers like this.
  13. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Nah....they blew it this time.

It was like Lord of the Rings meets Star Trek TNG.

Tried to do too much with too little, and much of it added nothing at all.

It was a hits package with all the crap songs on it.

14. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

You're all still wrong.

And Rogue One was a bag of shite and all. A very pretty bag, but a shite-filled one nonetheless. Turgid, overblown rubbish based entirely around the notion that Hannibal Lecter managed to build a flaw into the death star but didn't think to just tell the good guys what it was. Apparently they can build spaceships that travel faster than light and weapons that blow up planets but the technology to send emails with attachments is completely beyond them.

I mean if anything the file with the plans in it would have been smaller than the file with the hologram and voice recording. I dunno what sort of compression algorithm they use but I reckon a 3D hologram recording with sound has to be a bigger file than a single autocad document, however complex it may be.

kabbes, Favelado and Rimbaud like this.
  15. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

16. S☼I

Love it when people base their enjoyment of Star Wars films on how realistic they are in relation to modern day Earth

Voley, mather, Rimbaud and 5 others like this.
  17. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

Your last point is absolutely right - it made me think that her acting actually would sit better in the prequels.

18. 03gills

03gills Professional Cockwomble

Came out a bit overwhelmed, drained & conflicted, but still feeling it was OK, but the more I think about it the more disappointed I am. I shouldn't have to convince myself that I just watched a great movie & I found myself doing that after I left the cinema.

This felt like Episode 8 & 9 rolled into one, just far too much crammed into one film. There are some great moments, the Yoda return was wonderful, with Frank Oz taking him back to his giggling, being-a-bit-of-a-jerk-to-Luke trolling OT self. The opening battle is great, & seeing Ade Edmonson as an imperial officer was a joy. Carrie was wonderful in this, but it was obviously bittersweet.

The comedy was hit & miss, & the Luke-milking-space-tits scene was just plain fucking weird

And yes, Lukes death (cynically placed at the very end, so as to avoid the bad publicity of walk outs) is a complete dick move, & leaves a bitter taste, however much they try & sweeten the pill. I think most fans (including me) were sort of dreading his fate in this one, but desperately hoping after the loss of Carrie, producers had maybe had a rethink. Just like with Han, you could feel the energy drain from the Cinema once Luke got Obi-Wan'd.

Very frustrating. I admire Disney for letting Rian Johnson make the film he wanted but I’m glad JJ Abrams is back for the next one. Luke will be force ghosting his ass all over Episode IX, guaranteed.

19. Beats & Pieces

Yes, I was aware. My point was in regard to the character's death, and a new found ability to transcend death (apparently) and remain in a physical form. It was a cheap trick out of step with anything suggested within the previous films.

20. Gromit

On the topic of cameos...

Anyone spot the girl from Chewing Gum?

I thought James Cordon was an x-wing pilot that gets blown up but it was so fast that it probably wasn't him. Just my imagination.

Ted Striker likes this.
  21. Gromit

I was more impressed with Leia's ability to open a door from the vacuum of space (no airlock) without anyone (or air) in the passage getting sucked out into space.

AverageJoe likes this.
  22. Beats & Pieces

The details of the extra scenes to be made available on the Blu-Ray / DVD have been announced - including Luke's missing 'lesson three'.

23. Gromit

How to cook the perfect Jedi pasta?

8ball likes this.
  24. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Pretty much as you’d imagine

Sea Star, Maltin, AverageJoe and 2 others like this.
  25. Ted Striker

Me Too! Threads like this makes me realise what little I remember from films!

26. krtek a houby

ahem. post #98

27. krtek a houby

Reading some of the bah, humbug, joyless comments on the film... I reckons if the internet had been around in '77 Star Wars would not be a much loved as it is today.

[​IMG]

SpookyFrank and mwgdrwg like this.
  28. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Indeed.

I rewatched Star Wars and Empire for the first time in aaages the other day. Was surprised at how “not very good” they were in so many ways.

But I enjoyed them.

Just as I enjoyed the Last Jedi (and Rogue One and The Force Awakens).

krtek a houby likes this.
  29. krtek a houby

What annoys the fuck out of me is those dissing it (not here, btw) because of strong female leads and diverse casting. Like, you haven't been watching Star Wars for all these years? :mad:

ruffneck23 likes this.
  30. Ted Striker

Oooh, flashback...a good 10 seconds plunged into the depths of anxiety and peril FEARING THE initiation of a subplot where Chewbacca turns vegan? (The way he looked at the freshly cooked cutething?)