1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Knights Arms

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by hipipol, Nov 26, 2005.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Suzee Blue Cheese posting as Hipipol:

Anyone old enough to remember the Knights Arms back when Ken Evans had it?

2. jjuice

jjuice bbbbaaad to the bone

Porthcawl Kinghts Arms ? I certainly do, had some wild old times in there. Cracking juke box too - getting all nostalgic now...

3. waterloowelshy

waterloowelshy Well-Known Member

Not sure who Ken Evans was - used to be a regualr there though - my mate owns it now and is just leaving it vacant as they own the other pubs nearby.

4. suzee blue cheese

suzee blue cheese Well-Known Member

Which is a tragedy given what a great pub it once was. First went there in 76 aged 14, opened my eyes.. Excellent jukebox and totally diverse mix of people. Sort of place anything and everything could, and did, happen.

Ken Evans knew how to run a pub: Legend in his own lifetime :D

5. waterloowelshy

waterloowelshy Well-Known Member

aye - but it got rough as hell in its lasst few years of business - guaranteed to see at least a few fights every weekend. And i guess if you are in the business of running bars properly you cant be arsed to keep a place open that is guaranteed to cause you headaches and trouble. I always found it strange that most of the guys that went there in its latter days were so intent on having a ruck! That'll be the Valley Commandos for you though hey! :D

6. Lutze

Lutze New Member

Ken and Pat are trying to organise a re-union for the old regulars.
    Contact Pat for further details and if there are any plans on the horizon could you post them to this thread as I haven't heard anything as regards the scheme for a while now and don't want to seem like I'm pestering.
    http://www.knightsarmskenporthcawl.co.uk/

7. Lutze

Lutze New Member

Can't say I remember there was that much ruckus. The occasional greaser, usually non-local who would be used as a bell clapper between the two black posts at the entrance but apart from that and Fluke performing at rugby internationals there was very little in the way of fighting. Eventually, in the Knights dying days after Ken left and the guy from the rugby club took over we used the Pier Hotel which Ken eventually took over so the night usually involved the Pier the Marine and the Knights.

8. suzee blue cheese

Omg you remember Fluke - I knew him very well. Wonder who you are, Lutze? We must know each other by sight at least. I'll check out that link, ta..

As for trouble in its last few years. Different landlord, different style. It became pretty mainstream.

I used to go to the Pier once Ken moved over there back @ 83/84 when I moved back to Porthcawl for a bit.

There's nowhere I can think to go now when I go back - a few peeps seem to hang out in Newton but I'm so far off the scene, that if there is one I wouldn't have a clue where to find it.

Lutz: Edited to say I just sent K & P an email - if they get back with any info, I'll let you know.

9. Lutze

Lutze New Member

I was usually to be found in the company of Ted Aston, John Aston, Boyd, Serge, Hookey, Fluke on occasion. Because the Juke box in the Pier (prior to Ken taking over) was so crap I used to take my stereo system down and we'd use that instead. Trevor had the Pier then, Jeff Juliff took over, then Ken & Pat.
    No doubt we did know each other by sight we may even have been part of the same group. Leslie Baines is another name that comes to mind.

10. suzee blue cheese

The Gene Loves Jezebel Astons... Yeh, they were a couple of years older than me. I was in the same year at school with John's girlfriend, Kim, and their drummer, Ian.

11. Horst Rowe

Horst Rowe New Member

Horst Rowe

Yes I remember Ken & Pat Evans & before with Hadyn Lott when it was the coolest of pubs

12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

hey, i'm sure they'll be about soon...

but welcome to the Welsh forum anyway, u still around these parts?

13. peter/annhobbit

peter/annhobbit New Member

hi we remember the knights when ken and co had it we met there and have been married for thirty three years know so fond memories
    as to fluke i used to share a flat with him in canton :)

14. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

Hey! Another new poster, and the Wales forum regulars are honoured you chose to make your debut "on our turf".

This is important, because the one thing we want in the Wales forum is to have more posts than in the Bristol forum.

So welcome, p/a, and keep up the good work! ;)

15. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yay!
    just wish they weren't so shy

16. peter/annhobbit

peter/annhobbit New Member

HI I WAS TALKING TO ELLA ROSE THE OTHER DAY AND IT SEEMS KEN HAS WRITTEN A BOOK ABOUT THE KNIGHTS ARMS WHICH IS DUE OUT NEXT MONTH PICTURES AND ALL SHOULD MAKE AN INTERESTING AND NOSTALGIC READ ANYBODY HAVE MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE BOOK :)

17. Lutze

Lutze New Member

Graham Paine is the only person I can remember Fluke sharing with.
    At least I think it was Graham Paine.

18. Lutze

Lutze New Member

Did Ken mention anything about the reunion that Pat is organizing.
    Haven't seen Ella for years, is he still in Cefn?

19. suzee blue cheese

I vaguely recall sharing the Birmingham years with him.. ;)

Is Ken's book out..? I'll look out for it. I sent an email re: the reunion but heard nothing.

20. surfsup

surfsup New Member

Ken has written a book, 'Knights to Remember' which is due out on 1st September 2006. He is also organising a book launch and reunion party for the same day at the Seabank Hotel in Porthcawl. Check out his new website - www.knightsarms.co.uk - for details.

21. Beverley Laws

Beverley Laws New Member

Just had a look at it brilliant photo shame none of the links work. It certainly looks like team Led Zep. This is the place my sister Belinda met her first husband Ian Hudson and I drank my first bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale.

22. suzee blue cheese

The links seem to work now, check them again.

I seem to recall taking the photo of Keith and Fluke. Bizarre to see it after all these years.

So who's going to the reunion? I'll definitely be making it a point to go back that weekend.

23. Beverley Laws

Beverley Laws New Member

Yes, tried again it's fine now. I'll be going down.

24. suzee blue cheese

Booked the Friday off work - definitely coming up for it..! :cool:

Lutze: You going?

25. llantwit

llantwit 

Great photos on there.
    I reckon I'm in love.:)

26. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

with the 70's? :confused:

27. Lutze

Lutze New Member

"Like a bad penny".
    "He always turn up."

One of Flukes quotes with regards myself.

28. suzee blue cheese

LOL @ Lutze..

Christian: Anyone know if we need to buy tickets in advance..?

29. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

Have you not seen him recently?

30. llantwit

llantwit 

Very droll.