The Junction: a new music bar and cafe for Loughborough Junction

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 11, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

ska invita, Sirena, Greebo and 2 others like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Popped in for a coffee and I like it. There was a bloke playing away at the piano, the coffee was good and it's nicely laid back and unhipstery. I'll definitely check it out on a live music night.

IMG_20150911_174146.jpg

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

the toilet sign fills me with hipster forboding tho

friendofdorothy likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's REALLY not hipstery here. It's POP-free.

Greebo and Pickman's model like this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

i'll have to pop down to certify its non-hipster credentials

Greebo, Gramsci and editor like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  7. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I think we must have different understandings of what hipster means :D

I like the look of it but it looks pretty hipstery :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Ted Striker and aussw9 like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The people who run it are not hipstery, there's no use of the word 'artisan' in the menu (they use a pleasingly normal word like 'homemade') and in my local experience, live jazz music tends to repel the hipster hordes.

Their intro text is also pleasantly free from buzzwords:

ska invita likes this.
  9. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Security tags are hipster now? Jeez it's getting harder and harder to keep up.

10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Good luck to them :) The area is starved of bars and they deserve to do well.
    The building is terraced with a load of residential though - I fear for the noise complaints :(

11. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I don't think it's particularly hipstery at all tbh (and I've been in as I vaguely recall). But then I don't think many things are given how much the word gets chucked around. It'll likely pull in a fairly middle class clientele but I don't see that that makes it a hipster place.

That said something like this:

'The coffee, is made by an extremely flashy machine and only highly trained professionals are allowed in the same room with it .
    The beer, Luke is particularly fussy about, must be kept at the ideal temperature, tilted regularly, poured perfectly, and served in a proper glass.
    Paul has been drinking wine for long enough to qualify for some sort of award. He picks our wine with care and help from a variety of friends who have the onerous task of being wine “guinea pigs”.'

would get other places a proper slagging off on here.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The music is all acoustic so far - there was no PA system installed - and the place shuts at midnight on weekends.

Let's hope it doesn't get crushed by some local moaner.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Do you really think so? It all seems pretty humorous and self depreciating given the context of the people running it and the bar itself.

At least I find this quite funny (seeing as the coffee machine is in plain sight on the bar), "'The coffee, is made by an extremely flashy machine and only highly trained professionals are allowed in the same room with it .."

14. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

It looks hipster-ish to me. Maybe I'm too out of touch to get it

15. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Honestly, I do yes. And because of what you say there really - in that if somewhere looks basically OK according to whoever's speaking (and I'm not claiming to be innocent of this myself) it's easy to be charitable. Where someone's taken a dislike to a place though something like that would be assumed to be totally humourless and up it's own arse.

16. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I went there on Saturday a week ago with some other Urbs at chucking out time from the Cider Bar.

I am pretty unfamiliar with these sort of places - but if you are implying from the pictures above that it is hipsterish, I'm a bit doubtful.

It had the air of a family run place in a way - with home made cakes on the bar. A selection of draught beers - but no real ale. Fuller's Black Cab was available at £4 a pint. This was the most expensive draught beer on offer.

There was a jazz band on that night - but it was the opening, so may not always happen.

Average age of customers seemed to be about 30 - 40.

Decoration seemed to be a bit tentative. Gave it a bit of an informal air, like the Dogstar when it first opened (talking Dogstar 1 around 1994).

Gramsci, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You've clearly taken their words very differently to me, but I'm not going to argue about it.

I will say that compared to what I normally get sent by new ventures opening up in the Brixton area, their self-written 'press release' (actually it was just an email) was refreshingly down to earth and not the usual bullshit spun from the mind of 'creatives' in a super expensive PR agency with lots of mahoosive brand contracts.

18. Get Involved

Get Involved Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time to retire the word "hipster"? This thread is a pretty good example of its complete lack of objective content.

ska invita, aussw9 and Belushi like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh, I don't know. Most people I know seem to work out what kind of a place somewhere is when it's referred to as being for hipsters, although I'd agree the definition can get a bit blurry for some places. What word you replace it with? Nu-Brixton?

20. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Some time soon I will pay this place a visit, and post up a definitive review, speaking as an authenticated Loughborough Junction local resident and not an out-of-towner from Brixton. At this point the level of hipsterishness will be defined relative to ultra-local norms and then we need not argue about it further.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's good to see that the two pieces I've written about the place has seen loads of traffic on Buzz. I hope the bar does well.

Ted Striker likes this.
  22. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Hope to pop down, that space has had it's fair share of false starts.

editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I might take a look at their live jazz night tonight.

24. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I miss the old Junction back down the road, it was proper 90s mayhem when it was buzzing. This place has obviously got to work with some tight noise restrictions judging by it's website.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    ska invita and editor like this.
  25. deadringer

deadringer meat pie sausage roll

Drove past it this morning in my way to work, looks very smart and inviting

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

uploadfromtaptalk1442351884248.jpg

I'm liking it here very much. Great live jazz and busy too.

brixtonblade and Gramsci like this.
  27. prunus

prunus Gone

We don't allow hipsters in Loughborough Junction. This place is safe.

28. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

Based on the use of the word on Urbs I would need to judge everyone as one.

Belushi likes this.
  29. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I don't think Brixton is particularly hipstery at all. It seems quite mainstream to me.

30. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Everyone else is a hipster apart from me.;)

Belushi likes this.