The Ivy House - Nunhead

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by suzee blue cheese, Sep 29, 2006.

1. suzee blue cheese

suzee blue cheese Well-Known Member

Open mike Wednesdays - an unexpectedly good night out :cool:

2. suzee blue cheese

OK so it wasn't a very informative post but is worth going if you're into a night of random accoustic performances ...or indeed if you are a random accoustic performer. Has a proper stage once graced by the likes of the Stones and Pink Floyd. And gold lame curtains..!!

Most did two maybe three songs so if they were bad, and there was only one who could have given our cat a run for its money, it didn't matter cause change soon come.

A suitabley surreal venue for a U75 night out?

3. Neil-NewX

Neil-NewX Transpontine

I hav had some good nights there, notably seeing June Brides on my birthday earlier this year. Not sure about the Pink Floyd playing there myth, I have trawled through Floyd obsessed sites with lists of all their gigs and found no mention of it, even under its former name the Newlands Tavern.

4. suzee blue cheese

Ah it was called the Newlands Tavern.. Thanks for that bit of info. I may well be wrong about the Stones & Floyd cause I'm just repeating what I heard (soz folks), but a quick trawl for Newlands Tavern has thrown up the likes of Elvis Costello, Ian Dury and Eddie & the Hotrods then I got bored of looking.. :oops:

5. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I go there/play there quite a lot, but have never had much luck getting urbanites there because it's not easy to get to by public transport.

6. suzee blue cheese

Hello Ruby.. *waves* No doubt we'll see you down there then. It's not that much of a big deal to get to. On the route of the 343 or 484.

7. han

han brixton hill hobbit

I'd be upferrit!

There's a train station round there somewhere, isn't there...

8. Sir Belchalot

Sir Belchalot arenicola marina

There's a Mad Pride all-dayer there today. Don't think I'll make it there from North London but locals might enjoy it.

9. suzee blue cheese

Cheers for the tip..! We'll be heading up there.. If anyone else is interested..

From icSouthLondon:

12:00 - 22:00 £2/£5 on the door.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=535369&y=175062&z=1&sv=stuart+road&st=1&tl=Stuart+Road,+SE15&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

From Brixton, catch the 37 to Peckham Rye then the 484/343 up to Stuart Rd, or a walk across the Common on to Stuart Rd at the top.

From New Cross Gate - Brockley - Peckham - Elephant & Castle, it's the 343 all the way.

From Camberwell - East Dulwich - Peckham Rye - Brockley - Hilly Fields - Ladywell -Lewisham, it's the 484 all the way.

Nearest trains: Peckham Rye or New Cross Gate. Then a short bus ride @ 10 mins as above.

10. punkdr

punkdr too tough to die

I hear Sheep on Drugs still do the occasional stint there :cool:

11. suzee blue cheese

12. punkdr

punkdr too tough to die

:D

13. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Would like to give that place a go before too long ... name a new arrangement! :)

(or PM me suze and I can meet you and the hippy there just for a pint :) )

14. little edge

little edge Nigella meets Lisa Loeb

Ruby, I remember you mentioning this pub to me some time ago, Ive been meaning to go ever since but havent got around to it :oops:
    Its really close to my place so Im up for a visit any time you guys are :)

15. BEARBOT

BEARBOT robo-osita

ive been to this pub only once back in may..a freind played there as part of the KLINKER night.the guy running the klinker who always wears a cabbage hat(hugh medcalfe)played at the recent mad pride event there i guess..that event sounded interesting i have to say:p :D
    just catching up with this thread now.
    ruby, do you play at the aucostic night there? ive heard there is one,
    can you post more what the night is and a link to yr music?
    some of us might want to come down.
    im keen on checking out some folk nights..
    but i live in bethnal green now..

16. William of Walworth

I'l be down to this place whenever a date is suggested :)

17. suzee blue cheese

The accoustic night is called Easycome, every Weds.. £3 tax on the door, less for concessions.

Hiya William *waves wildly*

I'm not around this Weds. How about the following week, 21st Oct?

When you playing next Ruby?

18. William of Walworth

The following Wednesday is Weds 25th October :p ... if you mean then, count me in and remind me when we get nearer ...:)

19. suzee blue cheese

Ah yes, I do mean that.

That's the 25th folks..

Anymore for anymore..?

20. RubyToogood

Well my musical other half is away that week, so I won't get them to book us properly, but I can always rock up with an instrument and do a couple of numbers. They usually let me on stage :eek:. I was half thinking I might go that week anyway.

It's not a folk night really - it's a sort of posh open mike night, a combination of booked acts and random people who turn up, but the quality is generally relatively high.

Bearbot, if you live in Bethnal Green and want a folk night, Islington folk club (which is really in Clerkenwell, not Islington) is probably a bit nearer for you. That's hardcore folk though. Other than that there are various nights in Camden and stuff.

21. citydreams

citydreams on the road again

Can't get there till around half nine but i'm keen. I think I've been past on the bus before. Can someone post a map else I'll be cycling round in circles.

22. RubyToogood

map (the arrow is in pretty much exactly the right place)

23. BEARBOT

BEARBOT robo-osita

ok ruby cheers for the info! i think ive been in the pub that the islington folk club uses once for a different event,club wotever ages ago..its a very cool pub..there were posters up for the folk club there and they had some balkan type acts on as well from what i remember,im less into trad trad acapella folk but dont want to rule it out,sea shaties i'd check out maybe :p ...off to google the club now

i'd like to come on wed and see you play on the 25th but ill hold off on confirming anything til closer to the time.. seems to be a nice atmosphere/scene down there...wonder if all this was running a few years ago when i lived in honor oak?

24. suzee blue cheese

If you didn't spot the first map, then I have doubts as to whether you'll find the pub :D

Folks, you have no excuse. It's now twice as easy to find.

Come down and make merry. Wednesday 25th Oct :cool:

25. RubyToogood

So this is tonight. Anyone still going? I probably am anyway unless it's chucking it down or something.

26. citydreams

citydreams on the road again

I want to, but I don't think I should. I have to finish my MSc proposal this week :(

27. BEARBOT

BEARBOT robo-osita

sorry! i was unsure full stop i would go cos its quite a distance to travel for me,had probs getting back last time i went...at the moment as i bought new clothes this week im skint..cant afford it really! hope it goes well for you,i have a good feeling about yr music and hope i catch you sometime:D

28. RubyToogood

November 4th at the 12 Bar Club, Denmark St. :p

29. BEARBOT

BEARBOT robo-osita

suprise! its in my diary to attend already! im a MASSIVE fan of hamilton yarns and ill have gotten another cheque by then so can afford it:D
    what is yr performing name and when do you go on?

30. William of Walworth

Sorry, I wanted to go to Ivy today, but I fucked up my day ... and timing :oops: