The insects are disappearing

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by Yossarian, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

kabbes and Argonia like this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

the industrial farming and climate change apparently. we're all really fucked. or *we* aren't being as we'll all be dead by the end of the century. but children and grand-children will certainly have cause to take our names in vain.

redcogs and Badgers like this.
  3. yield

yield zero

Nearly sixty years since Silent Spring by Rachel Carson was published

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

This is obviously nonsense. In the event of nuclear holocaust, the only things that will survive are cockroaches and pharaoh ants.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Rollin, rollin...

Because the alleged custodians evolved into parasites.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The researchers say some insects - mainly flies and roaches - have adapted enough to human-created conditions to survive, but the beetles, bees, and butterflies are dying out.

Insect decline may see 'plague of pests'

Sue likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

And theresa may

Yossarian, Badgers, Sue and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pickman's model

The nice insects on the way out :(

9. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

:(

10. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Interestingly, pharaoh ants apparently got their name as they were thought to be one of the plagues unleashed on the Egyptians when the pharaoh refused to let the Israelites go. Having lived in a flat/building infested with them, I can see where this idea came from. :(

Yossarian, Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Fuck off Grammarly !

Was that book not eventually discredited ?

NoXion likes this.
  12. gentlegreen

Not having DDT must have been disastrous over the decades.

13. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

|have noticed a real decline in bees and butterflies over the past few years. To the point that I will be taking special care to choose bee / butterfly friendly plants for the garden this year. (I have some already).

Midges and house flies, not so much. They've been as prevalent as ever - and ruined many an evening in the garden.

a_chap likes this.
  14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Had about a third of the ladybirds in the winter loveliness this year compared to last :(

Pickman's model likes this.
  15. gentlegreen

There were some credulous folks in a chatroom earlier blaming it all on mobile phone towers ...

CNT36 likes this.
  16. 8ball

8ball Bar Bore Silver Medallist

:facepalm:

NoXion likes this.
  17. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Its depressing that we seem to be rushing headlong towards major tipping points and doing most nothing about it. I'm grateful that at least I'll be dead before the worst of it hits.

18. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

It 's really noticeable, the decline. I remember back in the 90's my car windscreen would be plastered in insects after a long drive in the summer, not anymore.
    I reckon there is a noticeable decline in small birds like sparrows as well (which of course partially rely on the insects)

a_chap likes this.
  19. 8ball

8ball Bar Bore Silver Medallist

Unless you’ve had a very unfortunate diagnosis recently I wouldn’t count those chickens just yet. :(

20. Flipstick

Flipstick Bargain basement Helen Mirren

Yossarian likes this.
  21. yield

yield zero

Don't think so? There was an attempt by insecticide manufacturers to discredit it.

The usual arguments about how environmentalism is anti-humanism

Silent Spring didn’t condemn millions to death
    6 September 2012

22. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Heard this on Radio Five Live last night. At least it's getting some media reportage, they've managed to shoe horn it in among the wall to wall Kardashian bollocks.

23. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

And we thought it would be nukes that would wipe us out.

24. gentlegreen

fishfinger likes this.
  25. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

I need a calm head to explain to me, with science, why this is not necessarily impending, imminent, really serious doom. 2.5% loss of insect biomass a year is surely the road to extinction for more or less everything? If overall biomass keeps shrinking then the whole thing goes into unstoppable contraction, no? Or is it just a case of another big die-off and new species expanding into the available niches? (so there will still be life on earth, it'll just be a few of the gnarlier species?)

26. Pickman's model

this is really really serious doom. there are no new species.

there will still be life on earth, some of the hardier bacteria perhaps, but no more humans, no more tigers, no more elephants and so on.

Badgers likes this.
  27. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. Four billion years of life isn't a bad innings.

28. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

You got them all.

29. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

This the likely scenario. By all reasonable measures, we are well into the 6th Great Extinction Event the planet has ever seen.

NoXion, gentlegreen and yield like this.
  30. gentlegreen

The extra CO2 in combination with loss of pollinators will presumably see grass taking over - and cockroaches - which are apparently edible.