The incredible low light abilities of the Huawei P30 /P30 Pro

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Apr 18, 2019.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

Puddy_Tat, UrbaneFox, Tankus and 8 others like this.
  2. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

i'd be interested to see some comparison shots from your Ricoh, because yeah, the low light performance is ace, but everything has that soft cameraphone look to it...

i'd like to see that tech in something with a decent bit of glass on the front of it.

dweller likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

These are taken from my Google Photos app so they've been compressed a bit. I think the bottom two are pretty damn sharp given that it's 3 in the morning. I'm not even shooting at the daft 40MP resolution either!

But regular cameras need to get this tech on board and fast.

4. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

Do you think you will ditch your compact? editor ?

5. editor

editor hiraethified

No, but I'll probably take it out less when I'm just out shopping or going to the pub or whatever. A decent compact will always handle better and give you easier control...

6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It's the software behind these super high performing low light phones that really makes them - all the anti shake, merging of shots and smart enhancement. It would be great to see that sort of thing incorporated in cameras but camera manufacturers are not good in that direction unfortunately.

There is also that the phones rely on relatively static scenes. I've not yet seen a good example of a moving subject in the test shots on the net. I may be wrong but there's only a certain amount you can compensate for if you simply don't have the shutter speed. So street photography at night, sports in low light and so on, you still need a fast lens and high ISO for.

alsoknownas and editor like this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

Yes, I'd never attempt to take sports scenes at night with the phone but there's no question that it can take outstanding static night shots - certainly miles better than my old Nikon D300 could manage.

When I get chance I'll have a fiddle about with the manual settings and see what can be done.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

The wide angle view is quite impressive too

2019-04-18_215700.jpg

Chilli.s likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

This basement was essentially pitch black and yet the camera pulled this picture out of it. Absolutely incredible.

tag.jpg

dfm, Chilli.s and kabbes like this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

It also does this clever selfie thin where it gives people a black 'studio' background.

2019-04-21_132452.jpg

Chilli.s and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  11. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I never usually get a top of the range phone, but this one has definitely got my attention. Question - how long do these units usually stay on sale for. I'm not looking to upgrade till around October. Any indication if it will still be available?

12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Well you can still buy the p10 which is a few generations old.

alsoknownas likes this.
  13. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

It often seems like they deliberately kill off the previous generation phones. I find them hard to get hold of.

14. UnderAnOpenSky

I guess it's just running stocks down. I'd be cautious of buying anything to old due to updates, but obviously this will be supported and available for a good while yet. Decided I can't justify one financially this year, but hopefully should be some good savings next year.

alsoknownas likes this.
  15. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Can you recreate a video like this, Ed?

16. editor

editor hiraethified

Haven't really got time but I can confirm that's exactly what it's capable of. I'm taking WAY more pics on this phone than any other because the camera - and it's wide-angle/low light abilities - make it such a joy to use. It manages to get usable photos from the darkest of scenes.

2019-05-02_142432.jpg

UrbaneFox and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

This ain't a bad pic either

2019-05-03_012729.jpg

UrbaneFox likes this.
  18. editor

editor hiraethified

Good piece here

One month with the Huawei P30 Pro

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  19. UnderAnOpenSky

Yes. I'm looking forward to taking better pictures of my dog (plus some nice landscapes as well).

20. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I'm actually more into the super-wide lens tbh.

21. UnderAnOpenSky

I take loads of photos of the hills when out running so this will be very cool. I'll bore you all with pictures soon. :cool:

22. editor

editor hiraethified

I've never ever taken so many photos with a camera phone before. It is outrageously good.

2019-05-14_223638.jpg

2019-05-14_224113.jpg

23. UnderAnOpenSky

So not specifically about low light but it's a thread about photography on the P30. It's a bloody good camera that's infinity better then my Nokia 8, but maybe I'm expecting to much. Still early days and I'm finding my way round it, but don't remember having to do that with my S8. However I'm trying to remember that may be partly because I think the S8 had a better OLED, but it's photos seemed more "vivid" with less faff. That said it was only tonight that I let the AI do its thing, annoyingly I'm not a proper photographer so suspect I don't have the right language. A lot of colours seem washed out, even when the light is really good.

These are some I'm quite happy with.

IMG_20190516_110731_resize_4.jpg IMG_20190517_180558_resize_91.jpg IMG_20190517_172835_resize_98.jpg

This is where it shines. Low light and moving. My dog being a bit naughty.

IMG_20190516_171435_resize_87.jpg

Underground photo. Not low light, but by torch light. Not bad, but S8 had a real edge here.

IMG_20190517_121041_resize_41.jpg

BristolEcho likes this.
  24. UnderAnOpenSky

Using it underground a bit the last few days...

IMG_20190519_121727_resize_35.jpg IMG_20190518_131613_resize_97.jpg IMG_20190518_112833_resize_27.jpg

BristolEcho likes this.
  25. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

Love the second picture in the countryside. Really nice.

26. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks. I'm still practicing and am lucky to have good subject matter. :)

27. UnderAnOpenSky

So with it all going off elsewhere its good we have a thread for pics...Playing with the wide angle lens in two of them.

IMG_20190520_093452_resize_42.jpg IMG_20190520_175931_resize_63.jpg IMG_20190520_162712_resize_53.jpg

Chilli.s and cybershot like this.
  28. editor

editor hiraethified

Your middle pic is great!

It's worth messing around with the Pro controls when you're feeling adventurous. I used that mode to set a manual shutter speed to capture these rain drops

2019-05-20_212037.jpg

Chilli.s and cybershot like this.
  29. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks. I like your one with trees and rain.

I must have a play, seeing as I like taking pictures, but these are mostly taken when running, feel I'm already faffing to long when I should be actually moving. Took loads today, the light was just so good. What's interesting is that the other two look great on the phone screen, but just fired up the chrombook and they look really lacking. Don't know if that's litphoto being to aggressive in hows it resizing or the wide angle lens just isn't as good.

30. UnderAnOpenSky

Quite like this as well.

IMG_20190520_180029_resize_20.jpg

cybershot likes this.