The Inca/Miyan calender.

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by xes, Nov 3, 2007.

1. xes

xes F.O.A.D

Who can tell me more about this? I know some small basics stuff,but I'd like to knoe more,it interests me.

Can anyone read it?
    [​IMG]

we're in the end of the 5th time cycle,the only 5 cycles of time they predicted.

2. Pol

Pol elfin it aboot.

they predict the end of the world as we know it in 5 years time, winter solstice 2012.
    thats probably the most important thing about the calender really.

3. xes

xes F.O.A.D

I know that much,I kind of wanted to know how long each of the cycles are/was. From the small ones (56 years?) to the large ones. Also,at the end of the other cycles,did bad shit happen?

4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Delusions of Grandeur

The Mayans died out mysteriously and the Incas got f'd in the a by Pizarro et al.

5. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

With a finite space to draw such a calendar, there was bound to be an 'end' on it.

6. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Disease probably. Then merged with other tribes.

7. Diamond Dog

The Mayans are the only major Meso/South American tribe out of the 'Big Three' that I haven't really looked into, yet they seem to be the most intriguing...

8. MooChild

MooChild Made of Straw

The reason the calendar ends in 2012 is that they ran out of stone :D

9. urphae

urphae Well-Known Member

1 tun is 360 days so a bak'tun is ~394 years

alautuns are the big boys though at ~63 million years

their calendar has a 5-8 year cycle also because of Venus but the end of a cycle doesnt always happen on like a specific day...

10. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

I thought the Mayans just got overrun by the Aztecs?

Maybe I'm confused though, shaky grasp of events over there.

11. Diamond Dog

The Mayans went into proper decline around 900/1000 AD, whilst the Aztecs didn't really start developing into a power until the 13th/14th century

12. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

well it's only the odd 1200 years or so, I wasn't far out

13. Diamond Dog

You were only about 200 years out - don't be so hard on yourself! ;)

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes neither achieved much. R.I.P.

I thought the Mayans disappeared mysteriously.

And I heard the Aztecs took over their calendar, but didn't know how to read it, and so were worried that the world was going to end every fifty years or so, (in correspondence with one of the short sun cycles), so they were always sacrificing people to try to stop it happening.

I've no idea of the truth of the whole thing. I think it's said that modern scientific research has confirmed there are these cycles on the sun)(of some sort, and that somehow the Mayans based their calendar on following them, and had a long count of some 4000 years, and a short count of roughly fifty.

And I also read something somewhere that sounded very strange, about how one of the pyramid temples had this enormous block of a particular type crystal at the bottom, (set in such a way that it could be bathed in liquid) which had to be transported from a very long way of way, raising the interesting question of why the fuck did they insist on having this particular type of crystal in the temple, particularly when it was pretty much out of site and so couldn't really serve any decorative purpose.

mm, and apparently the current long count ends on 21.12 2012, or possibly 23.12.2012, - but, who knows what that means, it doesn't obviously seem to mean the end of the world, since it's ended before, and the world still seems to be here, - maybe it's just a once in a blue moon opportunity to catch a sunbeam?
    :confused:

Pickman's model likes this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Sorry, I meant died out in a more figurative sense; relating to the height of their power as a people. The sacrifice theory is an interesting one; there are two authors that jointly wrote a book about it (can't remember who they were, I haven't studied the subject in a few years).

What's also interesting is that the end of one of the 'ages' for the Aztecs coincided with the arrival of Cortes and the Spanish, and it also related to an Aztec prophecy that the god Quetzalcoatl (I think it was him anyway), would return one day from the seas in the East. I believed the legend also described him as being somewhat fair-skinned. In any case, some have argued that this is one reason how 500 Spaniards managed to conquer an entire empire (i.e. a kind of divine defeatism).

E2A: Spelling mistake of Quetzalcoatl!

16. urphae

urphae Well-Known Member

17. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I reckon the diseases probably helped the Spaniards, more than any sense of defeatism on the Aztecs' part. As well as the fact that there were groups living under the Aztec Empire who weren't too happy about their situation, something the Conquistadors exploited to the hilt.

18. urphae

urphae Well-Known Member

And don't forget how bloody Aztec sacrificial religion really is. They preferred captors in war rather than scalps on the battlefield....

Urph.

19. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

It's like there is a 10 year cycle for the resurrection of this thread. Hopefully I will see the 2027 recycle which will probably be my last. The world continues to turn.

passenger likes this.
  20. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

It’s a pretty good way to limit the number of dead warriors on the field though.

What’s more brutal: tens of thousands slaughtered in the mud and muck, or a few dozen ceremoniously sacrificed as a gift to the gods.

The Pale King likes this.
  21. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

The second one was, at least in their case. If the Mexica had fought actual wars then they might not have been surrounded by neighbours who hated them, and they might have had an army that was capable of putting up a better fight of it than they did against the Spanish (or at least a better fight than people who had no training at all did, given that most of the Spanish casualties came at the hands of ordinary Mexicans defending their homes during the Noche Triste and the later siege).

NoXion likes this.
  22. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

21/12/2012 wasn't the endo f the world for the Mayans, just the end of the long term cycle as mention above. It was supposed to indicate the day the sun was aligned to the dark centre (as they saw it) of the centre of the Milky Way. As the solar system revolves around the Milky Way it is actually oscilating up and down (so over time it would appear to align with the dark centre). Their game of trying to get a ball through a stone hoop was alluding to this astronomical event. (The sun entering the dark centre). The cycle would then start all over from 22/12/2012.

urphae likes this.
  23. urphae

urphae Well-Known Member

Sounds like their sportsman were a little more, er, sophisticated maybe than this day and age...

ball-players.jpg

24. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama Fuck the system.

That KRS1-Tune is bangin !!!!!

LOL- I actually saw a 2012 doomsday cult :eek:

It was pretty grim. I got into fisticuffs. There were ... associates of mine there. I was quite intimidated by it all TBH.

Such is the nature of localised government.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018