The Idiot's Guide to Moving to Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by Idris2002, Aug 11, 2017.

1. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Are you sure you weren't in Aberdeen :hmm:

2. danny la rouge

danny la rouge arbiter of taste and expert in all things right

Maybe lefteri is a geologist. It's all relative.

kebabking, maomao and Celyn like this.
  3. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Well, there is that. Yes, but the old towny bits are pretty but ever so touristiqe.
    Oh? Now that is just odd. :confused:

4. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Edinburgh is very diverse, and has a lot of different areas, people and places to go to. I loved living there, and to be honest I lived in a part of town (leith) for several years that wasn't touristy, was quite quiet but still easy to get to shops and work. August in the city centre was always a nightmare though.

5. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Yeah, sorry about that...

6. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

Jenner's isn't the same since House of Fraser took it over. They don't do loose Jellybellys any more, the bastards.

7. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I will be moving to Edinburgh next Tuesday :cool:

And then moving back to London the following Monday.

equationgirl and danny la rouge like this.
  8. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I wasn't particularly impressed by Edinburgh to be honest, but I only really walked up and down the Royal Mile, usually to get a train back to Glasgow, Loch Lomond etc lol. I think it was a bit too touristy.

I did manage to see the Riding of the Marches though.. it was amazing! :)

kebabking likes this.
  9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I went there for a brief concert last week and there was an interesting security procedure. When you went out for a fag you had to take a leaflet and when you came back in you show ticket and leaflet. Leaflet is taken off of you. Cheap, unobstrusive and decent security measure, I applaud the thinking

anyway I saw the castle by daylight on the wall side. I looked at it and tried to imagine taking it without air support. No, the rivers of blood and hot oil. 100-1 losses... Unless its easier to approach on the other side that thing must have been impregnable.

equationgirl and kebabking like this.
  10. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

I had a very stereotypical Glaswegian (adopted mind) view of Edinburgh. But after 6 years going to and from the city regularly I rather like it and the things I discovered that all too many people never get to see.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Riklet, moon and kebabking like this.
  11. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

please share :)

12. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

Some of the smaller bars, some of the places like the wee playground by the meadows, some of the wee chippies, the retaurants, the locals the festival-goers miss, the wee shops and the people that yer average festival-goer and tourist would never get to see let alone even think to go to see. Finding out some of the working-class history that Edinburhghs esteemed burghers are almost ashamed to let the world see, the radical and fascinating social history that, like many places, but feels more given Edinburghs near pathological drive to keep from tourists when the big month in August comes round.... A much more fascinating and brillaint city than it ever tries to present

equationgirl likes this.