The handmaid's' tale

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by 8den, Apr 26, 2017.

1. keithy

keithy or queefy

What are we all thinking about it now?

2. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I still like it, but then I like bleak and grim. There are a few things which didn’t add up, especially how much June/Offred gets away with and how all the handmaids come back from the colonies because the colonies are a bit of a dramatic dead end. I’m also still not buying that race isn’t much of an issue in this society, in which fascist regime wasn’t race an issue ? On the plus side, Serena becomes the most interesting character in season 2 as it finally sinks in that she’s just as fucked as any woman in the regime she helped to build. I liked the flashbacks which showed how things went to shit fast. On the whole it still was gripping.

Mrs Miggins, sojourner and keithy like this.
  3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I didn't know it was still airing. I really liked series one, and was looking forward to series two. We gave up due to not being able to physically see anything for much of the episode.

4. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

Seems to me the episodes are all written by different people who have only read a summary of the action so far. Still watching though.

5. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Has the series finished yet on C4?

6. keithy

keithy or queefy

June was pregnant so they needed her, couldn't just execute her. I'm interested to know which bit of being pinned down and raped as punishment was 'getting away with it though?

I think they brought them back from the colonies after lots of them died in that explosion

sojourner likes this.
  7. keithy

keithy or queefy

No it is still going.

I'm loving it, can't wait for each episode, love watching it.

ash and tommers like this.
  8. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I get that this was the rationalisation in both cases, but it felt more like they needed to keep the characters than this being consistent with the cruelty of that society. As to the rape, the whole point is that this dystopia has completely normalised rape, so that isn’t even considered unusually cruel punishment within the context. They would have executed her after she gave birth or finished nursing and I just didn’t buy they would reintegrate all the handmaids from the colonies and we soon see why that was a bad idea.

keithy likes this.
  9. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

I finished episode 11 (Holly) - which I thought was so tense, heartbreaking (yep I cried - edit: no, I was thinking of the previous episode and the 'unexpected reunion' :( ) and visually amazing although
    it really didn't need THAT much screaming and birthing IMO - it was too much

Question that's been bugging me A LOT, how the heck is Ofglen back being a handmaid after being mutilated and exposed to shitloads of radiation???

edit: although reading about the mutilation just now, it was FGM - so she could still have children, but what about all the radiation? Isn't a handmaid's main function to have babies?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  10. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Dirty little feet

I've been watching again and enjoying it again - if enjoying is the right word as it is pretty bloody grim.

I liked the episode where the commander and Serena went to Canada. I liked Serena's series of realizations of what she'd had to accept as part of this state she'd had such a big hand in creating and had believed in so wholeheartedly.

Personally, I think the mother/child stuff is being hammered home almost to the point of overdoing it. I think it's been written to hit people who are parents really hard - I am not so I can't relate to it in quite the same depth. I thought the reunion was very well done though.

I am hoping that Aunt Lydia's sudden understanding and almost kindness is indicative of people within this society starting to realize that maybe it is all brutal and wrong rather than just lazy writing. She has been one of the maddest zealots throughout.

keithy likes this.
  11. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Dirty little feet

I think June/Offred "gets away" with things because there have been many little things that she's "got away with" throughout the series and if they tried to dob her in now and it all came out, Serena and the comander would be for it as well and they know that.

Her rape to "make the baby come" was definitely a punishment from Serena but the comander did not realise it was a punishment as he doesn't think of that as rape. Serena knows though. As does Offred.

keithy likes this.
  12. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

It's already been an opera, I think.

13. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

I haven't watched it, and given that it lacks what Jeff's looking for here, I won't. Everything written about it suggests to me that it gratuitously exploits the exact same things it claims to be against. Rather than trying to raise awareness of the threat of fascism in America, I suspect that its makers are "sneaking regarders" of that sort of thing.

14. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I don’t see what a cathartic narrative about a fascist regime easily overthrown is supposed to achieve. Fictional catharsis is just escapism, so go watch The Matrix sequels or Logan’s Run or any number of dystopian movies that end with "Ding dong, the witch is dead". What I found far more valuable are the parallels the second season draws to the current political situation in the US and how that led to a totalitarian regime. If you don’t like watching anything as bleak as The Handmaids Tale, there are plenty of alternatives on the telly, but a narrative which extrapolates on the constant sexual thread women feel in our society and how governments legislate over their bodies shouldn’t be reassuring.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 5:31 PM
  15. girasol

Being as there are spoilers everywhere I'll ask again without spoiler tags. How is Ofglenm/Emily a handmaid again, after all the radiation? Isn't the primary function of a handmaid to procreate?

16. keithy

keithy or queefy

They haven't covered it. I assume they did the fertility tests they have mentioned before. Would she necessarily be infertile? I don't know much about radiation!

17. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I don't think they've specifically said the colonies are radioactive. Just toxic in some way.

keithy likes this.
  18. girasol

Yeah maybe. I remember her tooth falling out, people dying from exposure to whatever was there. Might be wrong but I thought it was radiation. Maybe it's only extremely dangerous to foetus but she wasn't pregnant. Dunno, just seemed strange.

keithy likes this.
  19. keithy

keithy or queefy

Good finale! Loved it.

if June ends up back at the Waterford's in season 3 I don't think I'll have the patience to keep watching though

20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

They can fuck off with that ending.

Good series otherwise though. A bunch of people I know stopped watching it because it was so unrelentingly grim.

RubyToogood likes this.
  21. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Has it finished now? Can we talk about it?

she can't go back. The commander guy knows it was her who nicked the baby. Serena knows it was. She cant just waltz back in there. Which means that she is either going to be hidden by the "good" commander or live as some sort of guerrilla warfare / behind enemy lines type of thing - which would seem doomed to failure considering that everybody ends up on the wall who tries that

I liked the bombing. I liked the bit where they all started to work together as soon as the men fucked off (apart from Lydia briefly being nice :hmm:).

22. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

What I love is Serena's gradual awakening.

Reno likes this.