The handmaid's' tale

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by 8den, Apr 26, 2017.

1. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

Surprised it's not mentioned yet, first three episodes are dodgily available and I have watched the 1st one It's almost too literal to the novella's plot, so curious as to how they'll sustain it with expanding on the world.

The Handmaid’s Tale: Elisabeth Moss stars in disturbing first full trailer – video

Cast got blowback at a Tribeca screening when they claimed it's not a "feminist" story.

Why Won’t the Handmaid’s Tale Cast Call It Feminist?

Also worth remembering that the lovely Elizabeth Moss is a ghastly scientoligist...(I know)

2. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I was following the "it's not a feminist story" fallout as it happened on twitter. I have so many thoughts about that I can't articulate them because I wipe enough cat drool off my monitor as it is and I don't want to be wiping my own rage-induced spittle off it as well.

Mab, frogwoman, High Voltage and 2 others like this.
  3. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

I can't remember where but I think it was late at night on ITV when 1st saw the Martin Sheen TV adaption. I may have been 11-12. Right then there utterly Pro Choice since and for the rest of my life.

4. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Regret, transience and disillusioned fortitude..

I wasn't aware there was a series.
    Will try and catch it.

5. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Battlefield Earth scientologist or Tropic Thunder one?

6. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

7. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

8. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Do you know how many there will be Crispy?

9. Crispy

On Channel 4, later this month (time and date tbc)
    Ten in all, and they won't finish the book with those ten.
    edit: Apparently they will, and will expand the story beyond the book in future seasons

It really is fantastic. The acting, production design, cinematography, editing, all top notch. Totally gripping.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    sojourner and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  10. bimble

bimble noisy but small

How do you mean they won't finish the book, you think there'll be a second season ?

11. sojourner

Oh - I thought you said we could have it earlier? Steal it?

12. Crispy

UnderAnOpenSky, sojourner and bimble like this.
  13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Thought the first episode was great - i can see why they've opened up the world of the book a lot, so there's more to explore if it goes into multiple seasons..

14. sojourner

15. Crispy

Actually I think you can also watch it on Amazon Prime if you've got that.

Don't steal. Stealing is wrong.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  16. sojourner

I think I'll just wait for it to come on the telly tbh :D

Crispy likes this.
  17. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

It is really good. Elizabeth Moss's acting is tremendous.

18. Crispy

I was mistaken - this season will complete the book, with future seasons expanding the story beyond it

bimble and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  19. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I don't want to watch this on my own, that's how good and scarily relevant I expect it to be, have asked the mr bimble to procure it from the internets and watch with me.

20. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

People keep talking about this, and I keep getting it confused with the new Chan-wook Park film.

21. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

The review for ep one I read was negative and said it stuck almost too closely to the book, leading me to think 'well I read the book twice and saw the old tv movie- why bother'

but I've got eps 1&2 on download as I keep seeing people bigging it up

22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

There's no TV movie, but they did make a film of it in 1990 from a Harold Pinter screenplay. Wish I could remember more about it apart from rather lavish costumery and a lush score from Ryuchi Sakamoto

23. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

It's really very good.

24. DotCommunist

you're not wrong. 1st ep sold me on it.

Clair De Lune likes this.
  25. DotCommunist

was still thinking on this this morning, thats a sign of quality. Main thought was how the actor who plays ofred is able to convey a lot of emotion from a carefully closed face. You get anger, hatred, despair even sly amusement all from that controlled mask. Couldn't do ep 2 on the same night, its a little intense.

ska invita and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  26. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

It's been years since I read the book, so I'm going to download it and read it whilst I wait for all of season 1 to be out.

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I've got some really mixed feelings about it. Am not as impressed as i expected to be. (I've watched 4 and don't want to do any spoilers).
    Loved the Philip Glass meets Blondie mashup playing over the flashback scene of the regime's violent crushing of the demonstration though that was superb.

28. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I've been watching it from the start. Read the book as an undergrad, and found it compelling - forgotten much of it, but didn't think it would hold much interest for me 25 years on. How wrong I was. It's brilliant. The updating, so powerful. The violence in the system (and the light it shines on our own system) so chilling.

Clair De Lune and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

What do you think about the way in which, in this TV series, the crypto-fascist Christian regime is apparently completely race-blind. I find that cowardly and a missed opportunity.

30. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

The commanders and their wives are all white, aren't they? Or have i missed something? It's supposed to be New England, which is pretty whitewashed anyway.