1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The grimness of New Brighton seaside resort in 1980s by Martin Parr

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Sep 20, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

There's something exploitative about his photos that doesn't sit well with me, even though they're very well composed.

RoyReed likes this.
  3. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

Just looks like the holidays I had as a kid tbh. Not sure what's particularly grim about it.

mauvais likes this.
  4. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I thought they were great photos, so evocative that I spent a while looking for the young me in the background because it looks exactly like I remember it, apart from the water maybe not being quite so bad most of the time.

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The pier scene showing the water full of rubbish is a clue, I think.
    I think they're brilliant. Fantastic reportage.

dessiato and S☼I like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

Eeek!

They also remind me of Barry Island when I was kid. That was pretty bleak too, with the water polluted from the nearby docks.

7. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Kind of agree, it was just, the 80s!

8. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

According to the magazine article he wasn't meaning to portray NB in a derogatory way - he was actually attracted to it's litter and energy.
    I agree with what you say though, I find them a bit depressing to look at, interesting though.
    I can't ever remember visiting any seaside place with so much rubbish about!

9. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Up to my tits in quilts

NB is a lot tidier these days

10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

it's not just the mess that he seems to be presenting as grim though, it's more 'look at these povs living a grim life, even their holidays are grim'

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think Martin Parr's work does that. He just captures a lot of working class life and leaves it up the viewer to form an opinion of what's being shown.

Thimble Queen and Mrs Miggins like this.
  12. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Love the detail in those, even spotted a two litre bottle of Rola Cola. The colours remind me of Edward Scissorhands.

Yossarian and editor like this.
  13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I do like Martin Parr's photographs, there was a great exhibition of his work at Somerset House as part of the Sony Photo Awards earlier this year.

editor likes this.
  14. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I think he's sneering at the people he photographs - not very nice IMHO.

15. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

This is where i grew up (at the time these photos were taken). Honestly i loved the place. Used to drive over and smoke weed down the sea front at New Brighton with mates all the time (especially when stormy). I remember going to the Berni Inn there with my mum and dad regularly (when the lady bird epidemic happened in 1976 i remember crunching up the stairs...didn't put me off my steak though). Also my dad was mates with Bill Wilke who owned The New Palace amusements arcade. My folks had their wedding reception at The Creep Inn which i was given a life long membership off (but it closed before i was old enough to get in...lol!).
    The Creep Inn Nightclub - Hidden Wirral Myths & Legends
    ETA: Fuck its reopened...i'll have to search for my card.

Yossarian and tim like this.
  16. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

I seem to remember a lot of white dog shit on the beach though (and ring pulls).

Thimble Queen likes this.
  17. tim

tim Well-Known Member

I went there once on the mid-eighties, and not only was there no sand, but there didn't seem to be a beach either. In contrast my memories of Southport was a seemingly endless beach and no sea.

18. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

West Kirkby for the marine lake and good pubs! New Brighton is rough though. But it's fun.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Yossarian likes this.
  19. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Not much of a beach at New Brighton though, agreed.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

20. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The trouble with this and similar criticisms is that they themselves require a sort of patronising view of the subject - to see these scenes as primarily grim & negative rather than people having a good time at the seaside. Ask yourself if the people depicted would be/have been embarrassed or ashamed of their lot, or proud, or neither.

Thimble Queen and editor like this.
  21. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Anyway, I saw this photo collection a long time ago, maybe 15 years now, and of all the various exhibitions in that time, it's the one that sticks in my mind as the best, on a few levels - the strength of style, theme and subject. Definitely worth trying to see as much of this stuff as you can.

blossie33 and editor like this.
  22. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

I went up there a few weeks ago (free rail travel helps) , much improved , but sadly all the interesting things are gone - Tower / Pier etc - pre day out "paradise" , it must have been a very decent place to live with some fine 19thC houses etc catering for wealthy sea captains etc.

A workmate of mine - way back - said his mother used to go there for music etc in the 1960's and she said it was a bit like Beirut .....

23. dessiato

dessiato Philippians 4:8