1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Gowlett needs your Help

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

One of the fave pubs for the Dulwich massive is under attack from one of their neighbours.

They have now been issued with a noise abatement order and have 21 days to appeal.

Said local resident outed himself and a quick look at his Facebook page suggests he is a racist, misogynist and a homophobe.

Support the Gowlett on their:

Twitter page
    The Gowlett SE15 (@TheGowlettArms) on Twitter

Facebook page
    The Gowlett Pub

And look out for details on supporting their appeal.

2. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

One of my fave pubs? No.

Dulwich massive? Erm...who?????

But yes to supporting The Gowlett...a popular local pub, but too busy for me. Not the worst in the area....& their Guvnor is a Hamlet fan, even if he didn't back up his promise of vouchers for a prize of a pizza meal a couple of seasons ago.

3. Fingers

Plenty of Dulwich drink in there, including me and quite a few you know.

AndyF and clog like this.
  4. Dulwich Mishi

I'm NOT disputing that...

I'm more questioning your self-appointing yourself as the spokesperson for whoever/whatever the 'Dulwich massive' are.....

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  5. Dulwich Mishi

And, let's be honest, there's not many pubs that you DON'T drink in....

6. Dulwich Mishi

Interesting though how de-pollicised the 'Dulwich massive' have become. A post on a local boozer, but nothing on the recent strike at the East Dulwich Picturehouse. How our priorities change....

Thimble Queen likes this.
  7. Fingers

Sorry I missed your previous post on the recent strike at the Picture House. Happy to go down with you and support them on their next strike.

Thimble Queen, AndyF and clog like this.
  8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

This sounds like a repeat of the issues faced by Hooper's, which shut down for good just over four years ago and is now converted to residential use. On that occasion a new resident moved in almost directly opposite the only pub within quite a wide radius, then began using her professional knowledge as a barrister/solicitor to complain about noise nuisance to the extent that the pub had to accept shorter opening hours and restrict its live music events. (Hooper's must have been the most civilised pub I've ever drunk in as a regular - I never saw so much as a heated argument over five years or so.)

There are few enough surviving backstreet locals in Inner London as it is. To lose a well run example because of a few spiteful nimbys with an axe to grind would be very sad.

9. phillm

phillm don't bring back hanging

The best pizzas for miles around and a really chilled friendly atmosphere whenever I've been which isn't much in recent years.

AndyF and Fingers like this.
  10. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever We have an injured rabbit also

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    phillm and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  11. Dulwich Mishi

I didn't post about it. But nobody else did either. Maybe supporting cinema workers is more 'fashionable' if it's a 'Brixton thing', I don't know? I couldn't get there to show support as I was working that day.

12. YTC

YTC Human Man

Big fans of DHFC in there, and more importantly it would set a precedent if this went un-challenged that could affect a lot of other pubs in the area, all of which contribute to DHFC on match days and vice versa. Think it's a good cause to get behind, and I'm right in thinking they've been sponsors before?

13. Dulwich Mishi

They have indeed. Fully behind them on this.

AndyF, dcdulwich and YTC like this.
  14. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I was there.

15. not-bono-ever

16. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Interesting, I know the landlord and he has a genuine love of music and puts on some great nights (and one that featured my djing) I know he's gone to great lengths to accommodate complaining neighbours and minimise sound leakage - what's the other side of the story?

17. not-bono-ever

18. YTC

YTC Human Man

I don't think anyone's suggesting the pub could potentially could do more. New windows, a little bit of soundproofing if it's music thats the issue but it seems to be just general noise outside, apparently one complaint at 7 in the evening, and one at 10. Sounds a bit nimby-ish on the face of that but not sure of any other info. Hoping more info will come from the landlord as the proceedings go on.

19. phillm

phillm don't bring back hanging

The good burghers of East Dulwich have picked up the ball and are running with it as well.

The East Dulwich Forum

[​IMG]

20. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

The one caveat with that is that some residents will have lived in Gowlett Road since the days when pubs called time at 11pm, whereas I believe the Gowlett now stays open an hour later than that on weekdays and two hours later on Fridays & Saturdays. Throw in a few pissed people congregating outside after the final bell and that's potentially a much greater nuisance than if everyone has gone and the doors are locked by 11.30.

But if people are complaining about noise at 7pm that's just nimbyism of the highest order. People who move in next to a pub and do that are the urban equivalent of the townies who move to the Cotswolds and complain about the farmer's cock waking them up at the crack of dawn.

Thimble Queen, AndyF, YTC and 5 others like this.
  21. Dulwich Mishi

I'm certainly London born and bred and could never live anywhere but in our great city...I could never envisage living somewhere like the Cotswolds...though I can see it's attractions...;)

I remember when we were drawn away to Cheltenham Town in the Trophy & we weren't sure what the local Old Bill woulsd be like, regarding us all turning up pissed...I knew it was illegal to drink going to football matches on coaches, so had some flimsy A4 posters stuck on the front of the coach proclaiming we were the 'London Cotswolds Society' just in case we were stopped! We weren't... In modern day internet parlance: hashtag paranoia! ;)

AndyF, YTC, scousedom and 2 others like this.
  22. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

Oooh errr

23. not-bono-ever

Pretty much this is the core of the issue

There are locals who have been patrons of the G for years but the interloper hipster filth that swarm around the gaff in the early hours seem to be the cause of the late night noise - you just have to look at the Rye lane over a weekend to see the impact of these hirsute locusts. A balance needs to be struck and struck quickly - ratcheting up the animosity between resident and business will only result in one outcome now this has been flagged.

As to moving next to a pub and bleating, the situation with the G and complaints is not wholly due to newly arrived Clapham diaspora flexing their complain muscles. I would not want to live next to the G these days.But I am a terrible sleeper.

24. clog

clog have that you c

interloper hipster filth eh? :hmm:

25. not-bono-ever

provocative words to garner the attention of the lurkers

26. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Can I borrow that?

not-bono-ever likes this.
  27. not-bono-ever

please do.

StephenMac likes this.
  28. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the first E.P.

29. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

One of my old favourite punk bands.

30. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

4 track picture disc coming soon, exclusively available from Woolworths and Our Price.