Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Gherkin

Cloo

Surfeit of lampreys
Tis nothing more than verily, an erotic gherkin, as has been suggested. I rather like it...

wiskey

Albatross Admirer
i really like it. i think it was really cool when it was lit up green and purple last winter. it used to signify coming back to reality after a weekend partying in north london, back to liverpool st and real life. but i think its quite majestic just standing there.

:)i havent seen it for a few months. i'll have to look out for it when i'm next up.

ninthcouncil

dangerously naive
Originally posted by academia
looks nice, but i'm surprised urbanites applaud this icon of capitalist greed. :rolleyes:
You might just as well say that an artist who lives an immoral life can't produce great work.

If we reject great buildings because they are the product of social systems we disapprove of, we won't have many left to like. Would you dismiss, say, St. Paul's simply because it's a church?

And yes, the gherkin is a welcome addition to London's skyline. It looks great looming up in the mid-distance when looking down Holborn.

Blagsta

Minimum cage, maximum cage
Originally posted by academia
looks nice, but i'm surprised urbanites applaud this icon of capitalist greed. :rolleyes:
What a dull thing to say. People are merely commenting on the building not on what will go on inside it.

jaed

Banned
Banned
I live right by the Gherkin, and usually see it most days. To me always signifies home as well. If I'm on a plane over London I can usually spot it, and then work out where I'm living.

ketmania

out-of-touch Brummie surplus in gherkin shocker

how long has this been there???

i know it's been a while since i've been to east London, but i didn't even know they had started building it until i was driving towards Bethnal Green yesterday. :eek:

i like it.

lots.

anything which resembles food = good. :D

Jazzz

the truth don't care
Banned
It is quite extraordinary to see this...err... building from Stoke Newington/Dalston, because as you look down the A10 - there it rises, smack bang in the centre.

No coincidence, IMHO, this is how the freemasons design their occult phallic monuments. It is shagging those to the North, to Stokey and beyond!

guinnessdrinker

political refugee
R.I.P.
walking down the old kent road, I noticed it has acquired 2 red eyes. is this where Big Brother (for ignoramuses, the book not channel 4) will live?

sleaterkinney

drfranni said:
I was entertained to read elsewhere that they haven't sold most of it yet. If they had asked me, I could have explained it was hardly polite to try and displace the Fairy Gherkin Queen and her extensive court

But they never DO ask me.....
They are having real trouble filling the top floors as well, Swiss Re had planned to move in there but ........

It's being opened up as part of london open house this weekend.

http://www0.bbc.co.uk/london/yourlondon/open_house/openhouse_list.shtml

Ozymandias

poster342002 said:
Truth be told, I'm not keen on it. It does look rather vulgar. Personally, I don't think that a giant prick standing on end in the middle of London is especially pleasing to the eye. :p
I never actually thought about it looking like a penis before. The only vulgar thing here is the minds of people who think a tall building looks like a cock.

not-bono-ever

They are ringing the bells now but soon...
i work in it innit. air con doesnt. bar shuts at 1600 during the week and you have to pre book guests. and they had a fuckin fire alarm at 10.30 this morning - them 20 stories of stairs are not much fun with a hangover.

littlebabyjesus

one of Maxwell's demons
The Gherkin is the only one of those buildings that I like. Most of them are astoundingly crap.

It looks like they've been gathered together by some giant hand to keep them all in one place in a crowded storage cupboard.

hash tag

chillin
I quite like the FT building I think it is, on the South side of Southwark Bridge. It has a corner cut out of it, which intrigues me.

hash tag

chillin
This is the one. One which qualified for the tallest building in town for a long time. A really odd shape and really difficult to get access to it....until now.
IMAG1057.jpg

hash tag

chillin
We had Regents par one side and Hyde park to another, but, looking across the built up areas towards the city it was great to see lots of trees blossoming amidst the sprawl.