The Gherkin

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by guinnessdrinker, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Tis nothing more than verily, an erotic gherkin, as has been suggested. I rather like it...

2. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

i really like it. i think it was really cool when it was lit up green and purple last winter. it used to signify coming back to reality after a weekend partying in north london, back to liverpool st and real life. but i think its quite majestic just standing there.

:)i havent seen it for a few months. i'll have to look out for it when i'm next up.

3. the B

the B Sorry

I can see it outside my window at work - it loses appeal when you see it that much. It is cool though.

4. academia

academia run 4 the sun little 1

5. ninthcouncil

ninthcouncil dangerously naive

You might just as well say that an artist who lives an immoral life can't produce great work.

If we reject great buildings because they are the product of social systems we disapprove of, we won't have many left to like. Would you dismiss, say, St. Paul's simply because it's a church?

And yes, the gherkin is a welcome addition to London's skyline. It looks great looming up in the mid-distance when looking down Holborn.

6. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

What a dull thing to say. People are merely commenting on the building not on what will go on inside it.

7. academia

academia run 4 the sun little 1

8. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

Oh stop being so po-faced.

9. jaed

jaed Banned Banned

I live right by the Gherkin, and usually see it most days. To me always signifies home as well. If I'm on a plane over London I can usually spot it, and then work out where I'm living.

10. ketmania

ketmania New Member

out-of-touch Brummie surplus in gherkin shocker

how long has this been there???

i know it's been a while since i've been to east London, but i didn't even know they had started building it until i was driving towards Bethnal Green yesterday. :eek:

i like it.

lots.

anything which resembles food = good. :D

11. Jazzz

Jazzz the truth don't care Banned

It is quite extraordinary to see this...err... building from Stoke Newington/Dalston, because as you look down the A10 - there it rises, smack bang in the centre.

No coincidence, IMHO, this is how the freemasons design their occult phallic monuments. It is shagging those to the North, to Stokey and beyond!

12. spiralx

spiralx dirty techno junky

out-of-touch Brummie surplus in gherkin shocker

One pork pie-shaped building coming up ;)

13. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

walking down the old kent road, I noticed it has acquired 2 red eyes. is this where Big Brother (for ignoramuses, the book not channel 4) will live?

14. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

For anyone intressted i've written an article featuring the gherkin on my site. Not the best but i enjoyed doing it. :p

15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

They are having real trouble filling the top floors as well, Swiss Re had planned to move in there but ........

It's being opened up as part of london open house this weekend.

http://www0.bbc.co.uk/london/yourlondon/open_house/openhouse_list.shtml

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias New Member

I never actually thought about it looking like a penis before. The only vulgar thing here is the minds of people who think a tall building looks like a cock.

17. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27151893

Oh well..... tear it down then

TotallyGreatGuy likes this.
  19. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

i work in it innit. air con doesnt. bar shuts at 1600 during the week and you have to pre book guests. and they had a fuckin fire alarm at 10.30 this morning - them 20 stories of stairs are not much fun with a hangover.

20. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

Argonia likes this.
  21. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

:( I still like the Gherkin best of all the London buildings.

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  22. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

The Gherkin is the only one of those buildings that I like. Most of them are astoundingly crap.

It looks like they've been gathered together by some giant hand to keep them all in one place in a crowded storage cupboard.

blossie33 likes this.
  23. ricbake

ricbake working out how

upload_2019-6-10_22-25-22.png

upload_2019-6-10_22-36-32.png

24. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

25. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

They even got rid of all the leaves on the trees, how could you London?

fishfinger and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  26. hash tag

hash tag never too old

I quite like the FT building I think it is, on the South side of Southwark Bridge. It has a corner cut out of it, which intrigues me.