1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The gardening thread

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by ringo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Dyer's garden coming along. First madder seedlings germinated today - supposedly tricky so I have various strategies on the go (although it is related to cleavers/goosegrass so should be vigorous). The germinated ones have been sitting on top of the fishtank so I am getting the others out of the fridge. Also got paeonia and lewisia germination. Especially overjoyed by the paeonies as it is a long wait for any sign of life (at least 2 years). Only 4 years before flowering (and as they are species types, this could be even longer).
    Off to have a quick dig at the allotment before easterly chills blast us and freezy snivelling is the limit of action -(have mended my leather trousers in preparation).
  2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Cheated today - as the LPG tank is finally planted, but that area still looks like a re-creation of the Somme (but without the bodies and uxbs) we decided to get out for some spring sunshine.
    My snowdrops have done well this year, but not much else to see (yet).
    Tomorrow may be another matter, we'll have to see how things go - maybe get a couple of trees pruned, if nothing else.
    Planning on hibernating from Monday night next week. (I've got extra hay in for the gerbils and hamster ... I could do with about a ton for myself!)
    gentlegreen and BoatieBird like this.
  3. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

it doesn't look out of place in my garden tbf :oops::D

and i don't care what anyone says i fucking love it for not dying on me :cool:
  4. wayward bob

5. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Um, dodgy eyesight but I can't actually see a contorted hazel in your piccie, @waywardbob, whereas my garden is definitely lacking in lush treeness (unlike yours)...so my (offspring's) horrid little thing really does look disgusting with nothing to disguise those crumpled leaves...and was even worse in Stepmum's gaff, as it stood, proudly isolate, in all its summer gnarliness. In truth, I will probably allow mine another years growth before spraying the winter branches geranium red or seagreen and killing off the roots to avoid any further leafage. The offspring will never notice.

I have murdered so many innocent plants that suvival is just not enough to guarantee a space in my tiny, tiny garden (with my short attention span and low boredom threshold)...however, it is fair to say that I have less of an actual garden and more of a random assortment of (inappropriate) plants.
  6. StoneRoad

I'm cream-crackered and COLD ...

I've spent some of today partially filling in a trench (part of the LPG tank planting project) and repairing a bit of dry stone wall damaged during said project - which probably took less than an hour and a half in total.
    Followed by burning one lot of thin stuff from tree pruning - then a load of major tree pruning (more like lopping the poor things) plus doing a second burn of thin stuff and adding to the minor branches log fire stockpile.
    Some of the pruning today is to try and get a bit of light into a couple of rooms (wouldn't need to be so drastic if they gave up their net curtains, it is not as though the windows are overlooked in any way) but more importantly, allow the grass to re-grow under the trees and hopefully we might also get some fruit next year. Still got a load more to do.
  7. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

My greenhouse is now demolished, hacked to pieces and taken to the dump. Nothing I couldn't handle myself in the end, with the aid of a sledge hammer and jigsaw. I want to grow vegetables in the space and there is no way I am taking up the brick base, so I am googling how to build raised beds.
    Sprocket., BoatieBird and friedaweed like this.
  8. wayward bob

oh, that's where it usually lives :confused:

june last year front left. the fact that it's never actually grown bigger in 15 years prolly goes in its favour :D

Idaho likes this.
  9. wayward bob

long long ago when i kept it in some kind of order :thumbs:

10. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

My perennial/grasses order turned up today :D
    All unpacked and watered, but It'll be a while before they go anywhere other than the porch :(
  11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Aldi has compost.
    Hopefully the snow will have melted overnight so I can ferry a goodly amount home.
    People complain about supermarket compost, but Aldi's seems pretty decent.
    I don't have any choice and I've certainly bought worse - stuff with fibres so short it runs out of drainage holes like sand.
    And poo pellets - so my front garden will get a boost.
  12. campanula

campanula plant a seed

What did you get, Boatie?
  13. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Stipa Gigantea
    Verbena Bonariensis
    Astrantia Major Rubra
    Anemone Mont Rose

All for the 'tall' beds I have a vague vision for + some Crocosmia lucifer for the hot bed.
  14. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I may have to get astrantia now for my pink garden :)
    Actually the stipa would fit too ... :hmm:
    I'm on a sort of mission to have verbena bonariensis replace buddleia as a weed :D
    BoatieBird likes this.
  15. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Ah, Lush. I have a massive weakness for huge perennials and have more or less colonised half of the allotment with many such monsters...and now I have space at the wood, there is no stopping. I chopped out my old stipa last year as it just grew too enormous...and also dug out a huge Jackman's rue so I have space for new stuff in my gravel garden this year (lavenders, catanache, salvias), but I will miss the golden oats. I drive past a roundabout in Norwich, entirely planted with drifts of stipa and eryngium - it is bloody brilliant. I would never have the discipline to do a huge drift planting of just one or 2 varieties but I love to see a bold municipal scheme (of which there is zero chance in Cambridge, to my shame).

A couple of times, I have noticed a vast preponderance of pink in my gardens, Gentlegreen. I am also on a mission to raise swathes of eutrochium/eupatorium maculatum and the fabulous filipendula venusta (which is sulking because too dry).Snails though (the bastards). Oh yeah - the amazing muhly grass (muhlenbegia capillaris) - a 5 year quest (for viable seed) which is finally (hopefully) bearing fruit.
    Astrantia 'Roma' is still the best of the bunch, imo (having some long blooming maxima in the parentage, I think). A struggle for me but I keep trying.
    I fucking hate buddleja.
    Sprocket., gentlegreen and BoatieBird like this.
  16. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

The snow having gone, I did two trips to Aldi with my handcart to bring back sixteen 40 litre bags of multipurpose compost. Probably enough to last me until I leave for pastures new.

This year I plan to take a gamble on nicotiana alata after several years' gap - in the hope that the downy mildew has pissed off. And calendula as well as French marigolds. I suppose I will also start up some heliotrope and love lies bleeding and perhaps some ricinus.
    If my tree fern has copped it in the unseasonable weather, I will order a banana or ensete.

And I have to Glyphosate two clumps of bamboo.

What I should really be doing is another matter ...

I had a fox in my garden on Thursday and I don't know if that will be a fixture ...
  17. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Having looked at MArch's and April's forecast for my area and no frost forecasted, just a couple nights of 0 degrees. Stil too early to put out my last year's geraniums into the ground now you think?
  18. StoneRoad

Pleased to see that my snowdrop crop survived the foot or so of snow ...
    Probably a bit too cold for me and my TN to be outside today. (some bits of snow still lying).
    Going to do a bit of work planning as it has to fit in around a few things, not just the weather. The first task will be to tidy up around "the Somme", ie the newly planted gas tank.
    I've already rebuilt the dry stone wall that got partly knocked down, it took me about a couple of hours all told, from picking apart the damaged area (luckily just down to the first throughs ), having a cuppa whilst looking at the stones, then the actual rebuilding took less than 3/4 hour, even if I did it the hard way (working from only one side). I did have some help to put the copes on, my back wasn't too good that day. This speed probably annoyed the hell out of a couple of my mates, but once I got going it seemed to flow together. I seem to have an eye for walling; I rarely put a stone back on the to use pile, once I've picked it up, it goes on the wall, nor do I use the hammer). I do enjoy walling in good weather, it can be very satisfying - must take a photograph.
    Sprocket. likes this.
  19. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Apologies for the "hum bar" from my LED lamp, but this is my mutant Amarylis.
    I have been tempted to perform a circumcision to release its leaves ... :hmm:

20. StoneRoad

campanula and gentlegreen like this.
  21. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

yebbut the leaves are trapped ...
  22. StoneRoad

Nope, that really is a flower bud, and it will open OK.
    The leaves will continue to follow from the bulb, either that, or you have another flower stem starting.
    The leaves should be a "single" surface, right from first appearing, otherwise it is a flower bud, check the "stem" if it's round, then a flower bud.
    Tell you what, take another image at about 90degrees to the first one (turn the pot a bit)
    campanula likes this.
  23. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Yes I can see that the new thing is a flower bud, but the leaves have hardly grown in the couple of months since I added water and light...
  24. StoneRoad

Most of my amaryllis tend to do their flowering, then put up the new leaves. (Apart from the 2017 one shown above). Seems as if the effort goes into flowers then the leaves.
    This year, my white amaryllis flowers have now gone right over, and it is only now starting to think about the leaves.

A couple of the others already have an inch or two of leaf, but as they are on a window ledge, the recent cold weather persuaded them to hang fire for warmer weather.
    gentlegreen likes this.
  25. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

I would give it till may Oz, but then I am oop North and I've had tomato plants taken out with hail in June!
    OzT likes this.
  26. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Never Mind That, It’s Time For the Bus!...

Please do, it’s good to see walling in a garden.

Eta: I am currently looking at a part time basic brickwork course, I will be having more time soon to crack on with those long overdue projects.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  27. StoneRoad

I've had a bit of experience with slate offcuts but far more with North Pennine sandstone. Apart from the boundary wall (which is the one I'm referring to upthread) and I'm quite happy to photograph ...
    I've got a few "dwarf" walls around the place, If and When they clean up enough to be photogenic I'll oblige. atm they are a disgrace - and barely visible under weeds, moss and leaf litter.
  28. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Can you do stuff to amaryllis s s s to make then flower again? I got three supposedly pink n white ones for my birthday ... The flowers were white with the tiniest hint of white :D but the flowers have passed now. I would like to keep them going
  29. StoneRoad

Callie - I just keep them as a house plant; in a suitable pot they'll need some feed during the summer, and be allowed to "dry off" towards the end of autumn. I've no "forcing facilities" and mine live on the window ledge all year. I keep an eye on them for the first signs of new growth and start watering then. This autumn I had a repotting session as a couple had divided and others had daughter bulbs, and I'll be feeding a bit more this year.
    campanula likes this.
  30. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I'm tempted to risk it and plant up spuds, carrots, onions and broad beans this weekend.