1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The gardening thread

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by ringo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Buckingham Nurseries it is then :cool:
    I think I'm going to start with a variety I definitely want to grow - Discovery - and then pick others in the same pollination group.
    Worcester Pearmain is also on my wish list.

2. campanula

campanula plant a seed

One last thing (and this caught me out) - apples grow on either fruiting spurs (on 3 year old wood) or on the tips (ends) of newer second year wood. Scrumptious, while a lovely, complex apple, is annoying in that it is partially tip bearing (a third category which falls between the 2 main types...which means the pruning regime is different to normal summer and winter pruning. I ended up with long, flexible branches and great unthinned bunches of apples which were so heavy, several branches actually snapped under the weight (this year was a brilliant year for apples)...Scrumptious was bred from the Discovery clone and sure enough, Discovery is classed as partially tip bearing also...and while not impossible (as fully tip bearing would be), it can be tricky to prune for cordon growth. There are, I think, a number of apples in the Discovery lineage which are spur bearers - will look up for you.
    However, I am not any sort of last word on this subject so please do ask the nursery person for advice.
    Annoyingly, Worcester Pearmain (as a seedling of Discovery) is also a partial tip bearer (as is Bramley)
    Orange Pippin Trees has a handy key, listing different requirements such as use, yield, fruit persistence and pruning types.

Katy is the nearest spur bearer to Discovery...and Falstaff is another reliable red. Sunset is a good Cox type.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    BoatieBird likes this.
  3. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

if my geraniums are still in leaf does that mean i could keep them for next year? anything i should do to improve their chances?

campanula likes this.
  4. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Mine are too Bob...but the real test of winter is yet to be upon us. We basically want to just keep them ticking over while they are still in leaf and the minute they lose their foliage, we want them to go into dormancy by withholding water or even bare-rooting them (lifting them and storing them until April or so). Where are yours? If they are in pots outside, they are likely to lose the leaves over the coming weeks...and the main thing then will be to keep the pots from freezing or getting saturated (by moving under cover)...or if they are in the garden or large pots, then we dig them up , cut back all the manky top growth, wrap them loosely in newspaper or keep in a box of dry compost or sand. Of course, this is the theory...and in practice, it can be a bit of a crapshoot whether our tender perennials survive a wet winter -and it is nearly always winter wet rather than cold which does for them.
    Mine are the scented leaved sorts...and a couple of them have managed to hang on for 2-3 winters...so, as usual, gardening is an act of hope and optimism.
    Tell me more about yours. Where are they and what sort?

5. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

My first entry on this thread. I'd never had a garden until I moved to this flat last March. It's a communal garden but as I live on the ground floor and have direct access, it's basically mine. Nobody else in the building (including the caretaker whose job it is to look after the garden) seems remotely interested (upstairs neighbours chuck cigarette ends out of the window, upstairs cleaner pours buckets of water out of the window...)

The garden was full of surprises last year - walnuts, blackberries, rose bushes, autumn crocuses. I tried to plant peppers and they were growing until I went away and the caretaker decided to mow the lawn :mad:

It's been a mess out there for the last few months - now it's a new year, I've been out there clearing the mountain of wet leaves. Not much fun without a rake - doing it with my bare hands and a bucket and got a handful of cat poo today :facepalm:

It's looking a lot better though and I've planted snowdrops and bluebells. Wish me luck!

6. wayward bob

they're in window boxes on top of the wall to next door (they knocked down the old one and rebuilt it, but shorter, so we were eyeball-to-eyeball in the kitchens :eek::D)

as for types i have no idea :oops: there are some upright white ones that have the most in the way of leaves, and some trailing red ones...

7. wayward bob

8. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I know I am down south, but my geraniums have survived two winters in pots stuck to the wall. They are in the greenhouse at the moment, but only because I have builders and a skip in the place where they usually are!

wayward bob likes this.
  9. campanula

campanula plant a seed

As they are still in leaf, you could lift them (with a trowel) out of the windowbox, cut off any skanky foliage and repot in something like John Innes compost. As long as they are kept frost-free, they will continue to grow (slowly) over winter, if you can put them on a windowsill or under glass in a coldframe, or in a porch, they will trundle on and break back into life in spring. Cut back on watering until the soil is almost dry - cold damp soil will cause root-rot (the main cause of death when over-wintering geraniums (yours are probably zonal or ivy-leaved).
    Or, if you have more than 2-3 plants, dig them up, shake off the old soil, cut back the top growth to a couple of inches and lay them in a box in layers of sand or compost...which is kept just ever so slightly damp so the roots do not become dessicated over winter. Replant as usual in March/April and start growth by watering.
    Or, unless you are nurturing and compassionate, you could largely ignore them apart from removing the dying leaves, move the pots into the shelter of the wall and keep fingers crossed - my likely method, tbh.
    The wall itself will act as thermal mass and create a surprisingly effective protection from frosts (as Boudicca notes).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    wayward bob likes this.
  10. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Outstanding news, miss direct. It might not be obvious how much delight we get from our gardens (whine, rant, grumble, weather, moan, weather, pests, pests, weeeeeeeeds!)...but the immense potential and compressed joy to be found in a seed packet and pot of soil is truly one of life's most thrilling rewards.

Boudicca likes this.
  11. wayward bob

unsolicited upskirt birch tree pic :D (taken today :))

[​IMG]

12. wayward bob

:hmm: i'm of the stick it in a pot and forget about it and hope it doesn't die school of gardening :oops: i don't water them :thumbs: well, not in the winter :)

campanula likes this.
  13. Leafster

Leafster Nurturing green fingers

Any chance of some photos? :)

miss direct likes this.
  14. wayward bob

i'm planting more trees :)

i have a lilac coming for out the front - will replant my binflowers under it in something more decorative. the neighbours will be delighted to hear :thumbs:

and i have a baby bonsai forest cos they were a tenner and who wouldn't want a tenner's worth of almost-extinct mutant trees :cool:

campanula likes this.
  15. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Me too - Katherine Havermeyer (double lilac)...and contemplating more for a lilac hedge to enclose the graveyard section of the wood (where, incidentally, Greebo's holly is flourishing).

16. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Over half way on the firepit/bbq area. I've been enjoying doing the block work. Fortunately/unfortunately I am able to cover up my crappy masonry skills with my equally crappy carpentry skills. Once it's all in, painted and the gravel is down, it should look ok. Going to be trees and bamboo planted behind the benches. IMG_20180114_165023.jpg

Edited to change grave to gravel!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  17. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

"Thanks" to one of the neighbouring small woods being clear-felled (although it has already been replanted !) I now have an overdose of small birds stacking up to attend to the feeders. (and a lady pheasant that has worked out how to scoff the dried mealworms from a feeder 3ft up in the air). This means that I will have to refurbish and install a load of nest boxes asap (without over-handling the timber) my intention is to at least double the current availability - additionally, I may have to re-think my tree pruning plans slightly.

heinous seamus and campanula like this.
  18. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

There's a few much-neglected flower beds just down the road from me that I'm planning to a do a bit of guerilla gardening on.

Of course, the council will probably come along and spray anything that grows with weed-killer :D

wayward bob likes this.
  19. wayward bob

dear gardening thread

i understand that this is apple pruning season. my tree could do with some tic - all i've ever done is chop off the bits that poke you in the eye or get in the way of the line :D iirc it's a laxton's superb on the smallest rootstock, off the back of a magazine type thing :D it's around 20 years old and 10-12 feet tall

what do i need to know?

20. wayward bob

freudian slip? :hmm:

Idaho likes this.
  21. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Just saw that too!

22. wayward bob

dear gardening thread

do i need to do anything special to overwinter my new-to-me orange tree?

23. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

To live next to the Mediterranean? :p

My once happy banana plant is looking very miserable now. Not sure if it will be a goer come spring.

24. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Bring it indoors. Maybe a bit of citrus feed too might help.

25. wayward bob

i have nowhere unheated for it to go. when i bought it i thought i'd have a new shed with windows by now but asbestos put a spanner in those works... it's doing fine outside atm. i could wrap it in fleece or something...

campanula likes this.
  26. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

How big is it? It should be okay in somewhere that is not too hot. They don't like the cold though. Haven't you got an Orangery? :confused::eek::)

27. wayward bob

it's big enough that it'll be a pita no matter where i try to find to put it :D up with me in the loft is i guess the best option - it'll get good light and plenty of fresh air - i dry the washing up here so the windows are usually open.

is it likely to get pissed off with a sudden change of temp bringing it in?

eta: it's now in by the back door - one hailstorm avoided :thumbs:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    campanula likes this.
  28. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Pruned all four of my Japanese Acers on Sunday, plus a minimum necessary crossing/dead wood branch only prune of my prunus mume beni-chidori . Took two branches off the Chaenomeles, which is budding and looks like it wants to flower again, straight after it's last showing.

Small flowers just about to come out on my favourite tree, the prunus mume beni-chidori. It generally flowers in February and in Japan symbolises the first sign that winter will end and spring will soon be with us :)

campanula likes this.
  29. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Have you got walls Bob? Putting your citrus tree in the lee of a wall (and if it was south facing, that's the jackpot) is really helpful...and yep, you can cover the top with horticultural fleece and wrap the pot with polythene or cover in some way because it helps to keep the soil on the dry side...at the very least, raise the pot off the floor with some feet or bricks). I have a Meyer lemon still left out in the garden - the worst that happens is that it loses it's leaves and is slow to flower (if at all) next summer (but I never get around to hand-pollinating so I never get lemons either). The flowers smell gorgeous but because they are not pollinated, the fruit doesn't 'set'.

Apple pruning, Is there any chance of a pic? Now is a good time to go about it but you don't need to do all of it at once - you are looking to thin out the branches for easier harvesting and good air movement. Tiny little thin year old branches are nipped off and a couple of older branches in the middle are removed with a pruning saw. - Theoretically, you should be able to throw a hat through the branches. You can be a bit slapdash with this to be honest - the summer pruning is a bit more directed since it is about encouraging fruiting spurs but for now, it is a basic shaping and thinning, removing anything dead, or rubbing against another branch, or really overcrowded. Apples can go for years in feral orchards without human intervention...so you can take your time, and hack about a bit - you won't hurt the tree - at the very worst, a hard pruning will encourage a lot of water shoots next summer

wayward bob likes this.
  30. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I have a lemon tree we grew from a pip from our holiday in Italy taking up most of one window.

One day it’ll get enough room to grow I swear (this is actually doubtful but I tell myself it anyway) it’s been ok for about 6 years now I think? Leaves tend to fall off in winter but they smell lovely when you tear em.