1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Garden Bridge

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by tendril, Nov 16, 2013.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Supposedly on the design management and actual design phases. Fucking expensive, even so.

Greebo likes this.
  2. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Vanity projects usually become white elephants

Winot and Orang Utan like this.
  3. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Lumley's been banging on about her baby again today on Radio London, where she claims about 75% of Londoners want the sodding thing built (now that IS news!) that it won't cost the public anything (£60m of public funds have already been pledged before it's even started!) and that it will be 'a gift to the public'. *Vomit smiley*

I swear she thinks she's fucking royalty - but at least the Queen generally keeps her mouth shut and doesn't come up with idiot projects like this. And if Lumley isn't annoying enough already, just imagine how triumphantly obnoxious she'll be if it does get built!

4. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Would create more traffic. I cycled in rush hour traffic from the Woolwich tunnel out of London via Swanley. Solid all the way. How would a bridge help this ?

On the bridge thing. It's turning into a scandal whatever the decision. I fundamentally object to it being a private space. plus it will ruin the view along the south bank.

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

bromley, salem and Greebo like this.
  6. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Spunky Slug

My mum's been having a long-running feud with Lumley and stated with regards to the garden bridge, "If that gets built I'd hang the cunt from it like that mafia banker."

Two points here;

1) first time I ever heard her say cunt.
    2) has she fessed to murder?

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Does she have an alibi for calvi's death?

Greebo and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  8. Bahnhof Strasse

No, I asked her where she was on the evening of 17th June 1982 and she claims that she can't remember :hmm:

9. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

There would be less queues at Blackwall and Dartford.

10. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

11. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  12. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

Its slightly more then annoying that the state has somehow agreed the underwrite the thing when it flops and pulls in fuck all money. There are plenty of get out of jail free cards Kahn has with this one, he should just get on and dump it.

13. tim

tim Well-Known Member

I love the idea of anyone having a long-running feud with Lumley. Did your mum mastermind some fiendish 1970's plot that was scuppered by Purdy and Steed?
    [​IMG]

If so, given the modus operandi of New Avengers baddies, she could well have been behind the Calvi death and indeed that of Georgi Markov

14. Bahnhof Strasse

Sadly nothing quite so exciting, Gurkha based bad blood.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    tim likes this.
  15. Bahnhof Strasse

Oh blimey, Khan is on the radio talking about this; his best effort for keeping it is that money has already been spent and that would be lost, so good money after bad.

Plus he's parroting the lie that £20m will be recouped in VAT. The bridge is a new-build, therefore not subject to VAT.

hash tag likes this.
  16. hash tag

17. bromley

18. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Ministerial direction published today:

Garden Bridge: ministerial direction - Publications - GOV.UK

Translation for those not au fait with Whitehall-ese: civil servants so concerned about being asked to do something that they think is a bad idea (in this case, provide a further £15M to underwrite Garden Bridge) that they ask Minister to put his direction to do so in writing to protect their backs.

sealion likes this.
  19. Matchbox

Matchbox Banned Banned

London needs another road bridge downstream from Tower Bridge not a garden bridge in central London. Road crossings are very few in the east of London. The garden bridge is the most stupid idea ever thought of for London.

bromley, oryx, sealion and 1 other person like this.
  20. hash tag

Inrease pre construction budget by £15M. FFS, havent they wasted enough already?

sealion and Badgers like this.
  21. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Kind of canny getting Hodge to review it. She will call it bad news and Khan can cancel it in a detached fashion.

oryx and Winot like this.
  22. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Your wish is TfL's command: New river crossings for London

bromley likes this.
  23. hash tag

I see the cost is now up to £185m and that it had Dave's full support. No surprises there then :mad:

24. hash tag

snowy_again likes this.
  25. salem

salem Well-Known Member

More bad news for the project - quite a funding shortfall and still no landing spot secured on the South Bank.

I found this quote quite telling. "But of the £39m raised in 2016 for the project, £26m came from the DfT, meaning the trust raised only £13m last year." i.e despite all the bluster about private money funding it the public teat seems to be the one suckled the most.

Sadiq reckons that £40m of tax payers money will be lost if it doesn't go ahead, but I hope he stands strong on his stance not to spend any more tax payer money on the project. Seeing the cost before they've even started building £40m is nothing compared to how much the eventual overruns will likely be.

This really does deserve to bite Boris on the arse.

26. hash tag

Boris is well clear of London stuff and now performing on the world stage :mad:
    I feel he is manoeuvring again for PM, what with his stateside trip.

27. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Bridges? We don't need no stinking bridges.

28. bromley

We do but only in the East.

oryx likes this.
  29. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Yes...I remember my shock on discovering that the link between the South Circular and the North Circular on the eastern side of London is...

The Woolwich Ferry!

You're absolutely right and the Garden Bridge is a ridiculous vanity project which should be scrapped a.s.a.p. I hope the PAC turn over those responsible.

muscovyduck and bromley like this.
  30. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I hope an exemplary punishment is designed for Boris for going along with the half-arsed vanity project in the first place. :mad:

oryx likes this.