1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Garden Bridge

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by tendril, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Too expensive to get to, unless I spend half the day (which I can't spare, what with being an unpaid carer) on buses.

A tenner? Fuck off - that's a third of my week's food budget.

muscovyduck and laptop like this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I'm from Lancashire, but for my sins I now live in comparatively wealthy Hampshire. The problems of inequity here are less pronounced, although they still exist, and there are new ones created by the proximity to London.

Achieving something like moving Parliament will be extremely difficult and getting more so, because of not just momentum but sheer numbers and vested interest. Much like the housing crisis, really.

The 'London Travel To Work Area' is an old line on a map that resembles a leaky version of Greater London, and supposedly there were 9.2m people living in within it ten years ago. Now that definition has expanded, and the population has grown, so that's a lot of people that have no strong interest in redistribution to the regions and provinces. It surprises me that they even managed to pull off the BBC's partial move. This is to say nothing of the disproportionate power balance of politics and wealth beyond mere numbers.

So of course it continues to snowball. I think even doing something like forcibly moving certain elements to Manchester would be a failure in terms of redistribution, because at absolute best it would probably just create a second concentrated hub with minimal benefit to the wider country.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I understand that the house are in need of a major refurb and might be best relocating for a few years whilst the work happens. If not wanted in Lancs. perhaps for the sake of the union, they should be moved to Scotland?

As someone who "lives" (or not) close the the centre, I often walk to many of the attractions. It bugs me that for many of the paid ones, you can get two for one deals on production of a rail ticket. This used to include oysters if I remember correctly, but not anymore. As I am saving the enviroment by not only not using a car but any other means of public transport and freeing space for others, how come I cn't get two for one?

Celyn and Greebo like this.
  4. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

So how much do you expect to pay for a meal? 5p? You know Wetherspoons do cheap meals, right? If you cannot afford to pay what are very reasonable prices for a main meal, then that is not London's fault.
    The 2-for-1 has never included Oyster; it's a National Rail offer intended to encourage people to visit the capital by train.

For the same reason that you wouldn't be entitled to take advantage of any other kind offer that you didn't qualify for. Anyway, it's simple enough to pick up cheap train tickets that qualify for the offer.

5. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Sometimes I think you get a hard time on here then you post stuff like this. Fuck off fuck off fuck off

muscovyduck, TikkiB and Greebo like this.
  6. Bungle73

Oh don't fucking start. I have done fuck all wrong.

7. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Will you read what you posted to greebo. Seriously? You think that's ok?

Bahnhof Strasse and Greebo like this.
  8. Bungle73

Of course it's OK. Tell me how it is not ok. Explain to me why it's London's "fault" that someone can't afford a few pounds for a meal???

9. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

Lumley has known Boris since he was 4 and used to baby sit for him. She's just another snobby tory cunt from the same stock.

hash tag likes this.
  10. Bungle73

So what are the chances of this thing not going ahead, do you think?

11. sealion

Zero.Too many palms have been greased and brown envelopes exchanged.

hash tag and Greebo like this.
  12. Greebo

Spoons? You expect me to eat there? For a fucking treat? Jog on, sweetie.

I'll willingly pay for good quality food once in a while (even if that means saving up for it), but a pub meal (or Pop Brixton's stuff for that matter) isn't reasonable by my standards.

Incidentally, £10 per head for a meal is out by the time I also have to find the minicab fare there & back for VP (he doesn't get a Freedom Pass because you have to choose between that and the taxicard, which is still only just affordable and not v reliable), and a food allergy (migraine triggered) rules out the majority of the cheaper eating out options.

13. Bungle73

There's nothing wrong with Wetherspoons. I've been in them loads of times.

14. Greebo

I believe you - the quality of your posts suggests to me that you post from there, under the influence, on a regular basis.

Bahnhof Strasse and ViolentPanda like this.
  15. Bungle73

As a matter of fact they used to do a "2 meals for x pounds" offer, which I used to take advantage of sometimes, but it's not on their website so maybe they aren't doing it any more. I've seen the same offer in other places though.

16. sealion

It's shit food though and cheap for a reason.

Greebo likes this.
  17. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Will Self's quote pretty much covers it - “It could be great – it will be shit.”

Greebo and sealion like this.
  18. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Because you come across an an insensitive arse. And I say that as someone who also tends to think that you get a hard time here sometimes. Posts like this make me think I was wrong to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Greebo and Manter like this.
  19. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

if they admit you as a customer, I hardly think you can say there's "nothing wrong" with them.

Greebo likes this.
  20. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

My oldest g-dson works as the "head chef" in a 'spoons in Oxford. As he's stated himself, "it's café-quality, not restaurant-quality. Something to stick to your ribs". :)

Wookey and Greebo like this.
  21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i've had some delicious food in 'spoons, most notably the fish and chips at the 'spoons by grimsby station. it is variable, tho - i've had dire food (the hamilton hall, liverpool street station; the tally ho, n12; the moon under water, barnet) at 'spoons too.

Badgers and Greebo like this.
  22. Greebo

Funny you should say that: Fish and chips would be one of my possible safe options at a Spoons, but there's a chippy nearer that does it better.

Pickman's model likes this.
  23. Heh, will now be a garden pier as it won't come to Lambeth :D

Greebo and Pickman's model like this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Has Ms Lumley got nothing better to do, has the screen business given up on her or what, she not just campaigning for the Bridge; "founder of the idea". Why doesn't she go and get the money for it, every single penny of it's cost for it's life and if she would like to put a toll on the thing, please go ahead.

I've just looked at their website :facepalm:
    Fiction; Their is no need for he garden bridge.
    Fact; This is an inovative scheme that will transform the area.

The project

muscovyduck likes this.
  25. Pickman's model

you seem to have confused fact and fiction

26. Surely Tfl can no longer cough up a penny, as a pier is not a transport thing?

muscovyduck, Greebo and Tropi like this.
  27. Pickman's model

could make it a short pier with a winding path so people could take a long walk on a short pier.

muscovyduck, ViolentPanda and Greebo like this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

fact n fiction; not me wots confused, i lifted that from the bridge website Q & A's.

29. As long as Boris goes first I'll thrown in a monkey towards the cost.

Greebo likes this.
  30. Pickman's model

we'll need to make it wide enough to take a water cannon, you can drive the water cannon as it bowls the hideous johnson off the pier and into the thames.

Greebo likes this.