1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Garden Bridge

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by tendril, Nov 16, 2013.

1. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

Seeing as Ms Lumley has so much to say on the subject, why doesn't she pay for the damn thing?

muscovyduck, Greebo and Belushi like this.
  2. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

And risk another series of Absolutely Fabulous? :(

3. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Worse than that, there's a movie...

4. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Tropi likes this.
  5. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Greebo likes this.
  6. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Which leads to something I missed:

ShiftyBagLady and Greebo like this.
  7. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Someone should put Boris sitting facing backwards in one of the new ultra expensive buses, in summer when the air con is usually broken, and drive him around the whole country for a month.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Greebo likes this.
  8. tim

tim Well-Known Member

The aircon on those, Heatherwick designed, buses isn't broken it just doesn't work. In my fantasy a jealous Tory leadership rival pushes Blondie off his Boris bike and under the wheels of a number 38 Borismaster. He then finds himself in the depths of Hades at the wrong end of a red hot pitchfork being weilded by a well-oiled Bob Crow

Greebo likes this.
  9. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

10. hash tag

Quelle surprise. Job creation/jobs for the boys/corruption?

Greebo likes this.
  11. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

That crashed my phone earlier and now it's 404ed. What did it say?

E2A: ah, the URL: one-man-picked-garden-bridge-now-hes-got-job-with-firm-building-it-124772

I smell a writ :)

Greebo likes this.
  12. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

That article is gone but it was something like that:
    'It’s well known that for large infrastructure projects like this one, a panel of experts is assembled to pick the right design and ensure there are no accusations of unfairness or bias.
    [​IMG]
    But in this case, only one man picked the Heatherwick design – Transport for London’s Managing Director of Planning, Richard de Cani.The bid that was submitted following the TfL request came from Heatherwick Studios, but there are now questions raised in City Hall about the involvement of the engineers Arup, who have so far received £8.3 million of tax-payers’ money to deliver the bridge.In an interview back in 1998, Joanna Lumley had talked to Arup about the possibility of a Garden Bridge. And in July 2013, a press release from Arup stated it had been working with Heatherwick Studios to develop a Garden Bridge. But what has come to light after an investigation by LBC is that Richard de Cani worked for Arup prior to joining Transport for London.

And we can now reveal he will leave TfL in May to join Arup.'

LBC's Long Read: The Garden Bridge Fiasco

Greebo likes this.
  13. Black Halo

Black Halo Well-Known Member

Greebo likes this.
  14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

15. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Master Of Shambolics

16. hash tag

muscovyduck, Tropi and Greebo like this.
  17. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Walked about a bit round there yesterday (between the Coca Cola London Eye and the Marriott Hotel which used to be the seat of the London assembly.. )
    There's about 40 mature trees all marked for the chop to make space for the bridge, they have little 'save me' signs written on them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    muscovyduck, Tropi and Greebo like this.
  18. mauvais

mauvais ★★☆☆☆    "humourless cunt" - Sunday Express

19. mauvais

I've only just clocked that the national taxpayer, not just Londoners, is going to be paying £30m towards this thing, someone's barely public folly in a city we can't afford to fucking visit let alone live in. I hope it comes preinstalled with pikes.

I know the feeling comes and goes, but I've haven't felt quite such a desire for violent insurrection in a long time. FFS.

Wookey and Greebo like this.
  20. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

We don't want it either.

21. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?

Hey, don't make the mistake of even implying that all Londoners are well off or can afford to use the attractions in Central London that often. I fucking live here (in one of the cheaper bits) and I can't afford to visit the tourist areas of London without taking my own food and drink.

muscovyduck and bimble like this.
  22. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

A lot of London's attractions are free, which is more than you can say for a lot of places. And you can get a very decent meal in plenty of pubs for around a tenner.

muscovyduck and hash tag like this.
  23. hash tag

Typical. For making a nice green ecologically friendly bridge, we must first chop down 40 mature trees, is that what people call progress :facepalm:

muscovyduck, Celyn, bimble and 2 others like this.
  24. mauvais

No such assumption or implication intended here - although I confess it becomes ever more of a mystery to me as to how people like you get by living in or even remotely near the place at all.

The point in there was that there used to be this oft-wheeled out defence of, 'London is paid for by Londoners', which ought to fail on much the same divisive count as 'rich services for rich taxpayers' would, amongst other flaws, but now even that's not the case and the people of Lancashire are paying for this inaccessible shit when their own public services are being taken away.

A while back you said this:

So this is a completely legitimate complaint, and yet examples of London poverty don't in turn cancel out the complaints from elsewhere. You talk about children having to work in the library - well in Lancashire they're shutting 40 out of 74 libraries. It's the end of service provision altogether for some people. So if you have a shit library full of children that should be in schools or at home, or a swimming pool at all, you're fucking quids in by comparison, even if that itself is a sorry state of affairs. Christ, I mean look at somewhere like Blackpool which is basically number one in the country for all the horrible metrics, or the post-industrial (ho ho) North East for that matter. And not that it really matters at that point, but there is practically nothing, even unaffordable irrelevant tourist nonsense, to offset any of this, because it's all in London.

And I know full well that that whole argument itself is shitty as I type it, since we shouldn't have to be playing poverty top trumps like this, which is even more divisive & along the lines of arbitrary geography rather than anything meaningful like wealth. Therein is a problem - the apparently extortionate cost of living in London to anyone looking in means it's become very difficult to separate the monstrosity that is London from the people living in it, even though many of the inequities and even overall situations are common between individuals inside and out. I admit that I personally haven't found an easy way to understand or reconcile it either.

But the London-centric nature of distribution really fucking sucks all the same. It's another structural barrier to dragging entire areas out of the mire. I don't give two fucks about this actual bridge, but it's a pretty damn good symbol of national inequity. It makes me properly fucking angry and it's increasingly incredible to me that parts of the UK - not just Scotland - continue to accept any kind of union on these terms.

25. hash tag

80% of Londoners are in favour of the bridge - really. It strikes me that only three people are interested in it, Boris, Heatherwick and Lumley; the first two I understand but Lumley? Is she just out for publicity bu supporting unfashionable, ill thought out causes? I also see that it's estimated it will cost £3.5 million a year to maintain, so I suppose we should allow at least double that then. Why can't we just convert an existing road bridge into a non motorised traffic bridge or garden bridge? Lambeth perhaps?
    Garden bridge: a project promoted and sold with half‑truths, deceptions and evasions

Sea Lion and Tropi like this.
  26. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Yes, it's stupid and almost unbelievable. It's like cutting the budgets of parks and giving the money away to big business, which is what they are doing.

Greebo likes this.
  27. mauvais

Like someone else said, possibly on this thread or possibly BTL on a Graun article, 80% makes perfect sense if the question is, 'would you like a cool bridge', instead of 'would you like a cool bridge at the expense of XYZ and with all these caveats'.

28. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

I read that too. The question was 'would you like a garden bridge?', that was all.

29. hash tag

Cool, hmmm, don't think so for a minute. Why bridge? Maybe it should be referred to as the quaint old English thing; a folly. My picture of a folly is an expensive worthless consruction built to feed someones vanity.
    Mauvis, I know not where you live, but I know that parliament is in need of a new home. If we moved it up to you, it would certainly help London be less centric

Greebo likes this.
  30. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?

I can only (just about) afford to live here (in Lambeth) by dint of having won the fucking benefits lottery (as the tories would see it); Carers Allowance for me, DLA & ESA for ViolentPanda, IS, HB and CTB for both, and a small one bedroom council flat (only got because VP was disabled and couldn't climb 6 flights of stairs to his previous studio flat) under threat of regeneration. Living the dream...

Roughly half the libraries in the poorest boroughs of London are being shut too. The libraries which don't close are threatened with having gym equipment installed so that council funded leisure centres can also be run down and eventually shut or completely privatised. No joke, have a look in the Brixton section.

Social services only provide critical care in this borough (and elsewhere in London) - anyone else has to go private or do without. [/derail]