1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Garden Bridge

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by tendril, Nov 16, 2013.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I was told by some horticulturalists that no one was willing to get involved in the on going management as the flora was so narrow that the only employment opps would be litter picking and security. That and it's massively unecological.

ShiftyBagLady and Greebo like this.
  2. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

I'd suggest Widnes, off the top of my head.

Though I'm sure there's someone who'd be as upset about losing a quiet corner on the Ship Canal as I would be about the touristificaton of Temple.

Greebo likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

(((widnes))) :(

Greebo and laptop like this.
  4. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

5. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?

Not to mention public access 24 hours a day, instead of being locked in the evening and small hours.

muscovyduck, alfajobrob and Belushi like this.
  6. alfajobrob

alfajobrob Well-Known Member

It's fucking wank. I've met Thomas "HeverfuckinBridge" and the guy is a twat. It's not a public bridge...well done Lambeth for refusing to fund for once.

7. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

8. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Today's Times has a news story saying it's doomed :) ... and a leader supporting it (on, er, the grounds that Sadiq and Lambeth are Labour). With quotes dictated onto the page by Ms Lumley or her PR :mad:.

No time to dig out links to the Times paywall.

9. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

Glad to see it looks like dying a death.

For bridge fans, Dan Cruickshank's "The Bridges That Built London" was repeated at the weekend so its back on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jv5nr

10. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Garden Bridge funding update

bollox, it's been brought back on the table again, even Sadiq Khan is now in favour. A much more sane solution would be redevelop Southwark Bridge into garden/cycleway. It's only used by taxis, perhaps they could keep using part of it as a shared road space?

They say of Southwark Bridge........"If you're on it you're probably lost." :p

Maggot likes this.
  11. Belushi

fuck sake

Tropi and alfajobrob like this.
  12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Loads of goods/construction traffic too

13. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

Agree, when all the cuts being made against less well of members of society, some want to plough tens of millions into this. I hear TFL's contribution has been capped at £10 Mil and central gov. still to give £30 mil. Some of that money is MINE!

If you want to pedestrianise a Bridge, could I offer Lambeth or Westminster. Westminster for security ie driving nasty things at parliament and also make it safer for the hoards of tourists.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  14. Belushi

15. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

and cyclists, it's by far the safest and most pleasant bridge for getting into the city

Crispy likes this.
  16. hash tag

Reading the link above, I see that TFL is "lending" the scheme the other 20 mil repayable over 50 years. Just outrageous :facepalm:

If I recall, there will be no cycling on the bridge, nor kite flying come to that

"The bridge rules, of which 30 are listed, include a prohibition on any exercise other than jogging, playing a musical instrument, taking part in a “gathering of any kind”, giving a speech or address, scattering ashes, releasing a balloon and flying a kite"

Bahnhof Strasse and Belushi like this.
  17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

What about "masturbating off the edge of the bridge into the waters below, in an attempt to invoke a riverine deity"?

Bahnhof Strasse, Greebo and Lucy Fur like this.
  18. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

"exercise other than jogging".

19. hash tag

Depends if you are with someone or by yourself. If a solo effort, Boris should be at the head of the queue.

Greebo likes this.
  20. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Is Lambeth taking the Mickey? Will they really have to spend 3.5 million in maintaining a private bridge?

21. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

They don't have to.
    They will though, because they're useless, wasteful twats.

Greebo likes this.
  22. hash tag

The delays have partly been because Lambeth woud not agree to it. I'm guessing that they only gave in
    because someone leant on them.

23. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Well-Known Mamba

And we veer between tut tutting and sniggering at FIFA, IAAF etc. When we have this blatant corruption on a fucking massive scale going on right in front of our eyes and no one seems to have the power/will to do anything about it.

Go UK.

Artaxerxes and Belushi like this.
  24. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Greebo and Belushi like this.
  25. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

The government really missed a trick allowing Bridge House Estates to fritter their cash away on dance troupes and YMCA outings. They could have financed this bridge and actually made it a good public project, even locating it somewhere else on the river more suitable.

26. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Fritter? Is my ironometer a bit off?

27. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

28. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

The sea, get the fuck in it.

muscovyduck likes this.
  29. hash tag

:facepalm:
    Feel patronized? You certainly should do.:mad:

muscovyduck, Greebo and Tropi like this.
  30. Belushi