1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Garden Bridge

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by tendril, Nov 16, 2013.

1. salem

salem Well-Known Member

2. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Thank fuck for that.
    gawkrodger likes this.
  3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Just heard this on the news, joy :thumbs:
    Sadiq 1 Boris 0.
    It won't hurt Boris, just look at the cable car disaster....nothing hurts Boris...also look at the Europe uturn and the lies :mad:
    shygirl likes this.
  4. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

Really good news!
  5. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Oh ffs - Lumley is bleating about it. :rolleyes:

Joanna Lumley attacks Sadiq Khan's scrapping of Thames garden bridge

Get a fucking grip. :rolleyes:
  6. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Why don't you and your filthy mates pay for it then you spoiled cunt.
    Celyn, T & P, mrs quoad and 6 others like this.
  7. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

What struck me was the claim of 32p per head - surely that means she thinks the UK population is around 120 million? Is she really that out of touch? :hmm:

But yes, they should pay for the fucking pointless trinket bridge themselves - why the fuck should anyone, especially the majority of the populace who live outside of London, pay a single penny towards it. :mad:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Celyn, Gramsci, BigTom and 4 others like this.
  8. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I believe Sadiq initially publicly supported it so he had to do some careful political manoeuvres to come to this decision. E.g Bring in The Hodge
    Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  9. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

"instantly says no"
    If we instantly said no what was 60 million spent on? Her rant doesn't even make basic sense
    Celyn and bromley like this.
  10. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Why not kickstart it .?
  11. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain this isn't the last we'll hear of this bloody thing.

More lives than a cat :(
  12. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

salem and Gramsci like this.
  13. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

So glad this vanity bullshit has been knocked on the head. Joanna fucking Dumbly
    bromley likes this.
  14. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

It is probably upthread but I am amazed £60m has been spent already, wtf on?
    salem likes this.
  15. tim

tim Well-Known Member

16. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I knew I was in the wrong line of work!
  17. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Now I don't like Boris in the slightest but what was the cable car disaster? The thing is sponsored and didn't cost the public anything, got a feeling that I may have my facts mixed up and that's why it's a disaster. :hmm:
  18. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The cable car started out as another vanity Boris vanity project. A large amount of publc money went into building this white elephant. The only people who use it are tourists. It serves no purpose. It starts a long way from nowhere and finishes a long way from nowhere. This was one of many fuck ups he made/was involved in as Mayor.
    Bahnhof Strasse and oryx like this.
  19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I don't know about whether the costs were covered but spending a fortune on something that's hardly used is pretty bad wherever it comes from tbh.
  20. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

I'm very surprised that someone of Lumley's longevity could be so out of touch with the public perception of this folly, that she should continue to defend it at the cost of her own public standing.

I like the idea of new publicly owned green spaces. This was never going to be that. The lining of pockets throughout the whole debacle is repulsive, and the heat needs to be maintained on the return of all public funds that have been squandered on this increasingly objectionable ego project.
  21. bromley

I've done a quick search. Costs were £60m, of which £45m were construction costs :)hmm:) Emirates sponsorship was worth £36m over 10 years with the rest of the costs to be covered in tickets. Although you would think the tickets would mainly cover running costs, how much are the tickets?! :confused:

Not as big as the vanity project by the South Side of the cable car in fairness.
  22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Ultimately, it has cost the taxpayer, you and me, £24 MILLION.
    How many other projects like this of the dear Boris were a complete and utter failure!
    bromley likes this.
  23. bromley

I wonder if the new routemasters were a bigger waste of money? Then there'should the number of deaths on the cycling super highway.
  24. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

I can't think of 1 thing that the floppy haired cunt did to benefit Londoners as a whole. Not 1 , happy to be corrected though. Even the bikes weren't his idea the useless fucker.
    Bahnhof Strasse, hash tag and bromley like this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

But hey, he's gone now:confused:
  26. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

bromley, hash tag, oryx and 1 other person like this.
  27. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

tbf, I do believe it was more like £37m. It doesn't make it any less outrageous though
    weltweit likes this.
  28. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I could be wrong but if £37m was genuinely spent (as opposed to going to backhanders, bribes and corruption, which at least one could understand if not condone) in most other countries, heads would fucking roll.

How in the name of fuck can that amount be spent on consultations? What did the surveyors/ architects charge? £200k per hour?
  29. oneflewover

oneflewover Following "The Tigers"

At least he isn't doing anything important on the world stage.
  30. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Nah, it's the same the world over. "Consultancy" fees, preliminary work, analyses etc same thing happens here.

See $1.2 billion spent on not building the East-West Link.
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    T & P likes this.