1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Garden Bridge

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by tendril, Nov 16, 2013.

1. tendril

tendril And?

2. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I love the idea, hope it gets built.

Spanky Longhorn and cesare like this.
  3. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

great idea, but why no growth on the vertical surfaces? Living walls are one the of loveliest innovations of our time

[​IMG]

Wookey, Tankus, Plumdaff and 6 others like this.
  4. _pH_

_pH_ .

I popped into Somerset House today as they had a consultation 'roadshow' thing on. Not much to see, but I had a chat with a guy from TfL about it.

The main bridge supports will act as deep planters for the taller trees with lower planting on the rest of the bridge. There'll be benches etc. to sit on which will make it a nice place to have lunch. They can't have anything too tall (newbie) because of the Protected Views. It'll be funded without any public money (TfL are just managing the consultation) by a charitable trust. If all goes according to plan it'll be complete by 2017-18.

Ponyutd, Greebo and clicker like this.
  5. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Surely Bridge House Estates have enough cash to fund this or at least fund the ongoing maintenance?

6. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I wasn't suggesting anything tall, or a different shape, merely cladding the outside with plants rather than reconstituted stone or whatever.

Greebo likes this.
  7. _pH_

_pH_ .

Thomas Heatherwick might not want his nice bridge design covered in plants! I like the bridge, seems vaguely art nouveau. But if you think it'd look good clad in plants, put a response in to the consultation, you never know.

8. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I have. Plants and (encouragement for) birds to nest. There's a lot of fake stone, bronze effect metal and art nouveau around, both here and in every major city. Probably a few big bridges with trees and plants on top as well, somewhere in the world. But rather than build than one with obvious (and fairly mundane) structure below deck level, growing a living bridge would be truly inspiring.

Mind, experts like the RHS and/or RSPB/BTO may not think it possible or liable to sustain in the longterm. But that's the point about boundaries, they're there to be pushed.

9. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

I like it as it is.

10. _pH_

_pH_ .

To be fair, I think planting up the vertical surfaces of the bridge would be incredibly expensive in comparison to traditional planting not just in the establishment phase but afterwards too. It would be technically possible without doubt, but the majority of plants used in vertical planting schemes are not long lived, there's a requirement for regular replanting which is fine if the site is accessible from a MEWP, but the challenge involved in keeping it looking good on a bridge would be substantial, probably involving rope access teams. There's no public money going into this, the project is to be run by a charitable trust, so vertical planting could well be way outside their budget both short term and long term. And the key to successful planting is ensuring maintenance is financially sustainable in the long term.

I know it's subjective, but personally I like the bridge as it is. Although I do like vertical planting schemes, and the greater use of greenery on buildings (like this).

By the way, did you ever see the one they did outside the National Gallery of van Gogh's 'Wheatfield with Cypresses'? That was amazing!

Greebo and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  11. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

yeah, I saw the thing outside the NG a few times, regretted that it wasn't somewhere I walked past every day, to see it change with growth.

ok I take your point, the idea isn't overly practical. Such is life. :( :cool:

Greebo likes this.
  12. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I love the idea but I honestly don't think we need a new bridge in Central London, I'd really like to see a new footbridge somewhere between Tower Bridge and North Greenwich to encourage more foot and bike travel and less cars on the road.

Plumdaff, salem, Rutita1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Maggot

Maggot .

That would cause a problem with the large ships - unless it was really high.

14. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

It would but there are limited crossings below Tower Bridge which I find a little annoying.

Greebo likes this.
  15. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Some kind of lifting/swing bridge? It's the exact reason Tower Bridge was built as bascule bridge.

Greebo likes this.
  16. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

But a 'garden bridge' full of soil and trees and plants? Could it swing up and down without the whole lot just sliding off into the Thames?

17. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Great image ;)

salem likes this.
  18. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

It would have to be a 'hanging garden' like in Babylon.

Greebo likes this.
  19. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

I thought the conversation had expanded from the garden bridge to just "we need another river crossing in east London". In any case you could have a bridge with plants on either side, but a gap in the middle where the bridge raises to allow ships through Again, TB is like that, except without the plants.

Greebo likes this.
  20. I think it's sweet idea ;)

21. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Ppl I know have been working on the planting /design side of it - I think it's a great idea myself; far more useful/practical than the Emirates line cable car!

22. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I like the idea, but it's a shame there's no cycle provision. Blackfriars and Waterloo bridges are horrible to cycle over.

plurker and Greebo like this.
  23. _pH_

_pH_ .

Who's doing the planting design? They did say at the consultation, but I can't remember. Great project to work on though, I'm jealous.

24. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

Just close Southwalk bridge (no-one uses it and just one bus route crosses it) and buy loads of artificial plants - job done £10,000

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  25. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Dan Pearson Studio

(agree on the cycle provision-lack though - would love to see a traffic-free ped/cycle only bridge.

26. _pH_

_pH_ .

That's the one, cheers! Right up his street that sort of planting.

27. Utopia

Utopia "Jackanackanory"

28. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

Much as I admire the vision, I'm rather befuddled by the fact that TfL are going to be shelling out between £30m and £38m from their transport budget, yet there will be no public right of way and it will be closed between midnight and 6 a.m.

It's really a park that happens to run across the river, and should not be funded from the transport budget.

And another missed opportunity of a motor-free crossing for bicycles.

29. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Closed at night? No bike lane?
    Bah :(

30. Utopia

Utopia "Jackanackanory"