The future of civil partnership in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by danny la rouge, Oct 2, 2018.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

2. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Quite funny how this one has gone. In attempting to preserve marriage as 'special' by initially opposing the idea of gay marriage, meaning that this new civil partnership thing needed to be invented, conservative types have ended up producing this situation whereby marriage doesn't have to be for anyone any more. Classic case of unintended consequences. :D

3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

That said, I think the whole civil partnership thing is a good idea anyway, regardless of it being effectively invented for gay couples.

A lot of straight people are not down with the whole patriarchy of marriage. And a lot of people, myself included, were unable to live with our partners legally in the UK unless married (or in a civil partnership), so as a mixed sex couple, that effectively meant we were forced to get married well before we would've liked to, and well before we had the finances to do it in a way we wanted. If we could've had a regular civil partnership first, we could have planned a proper wedding when we were ready and able.

Obviously in the minds of many, including the government, this was just about straight people being difficult :facepalm:

danny la rouge and 8ball like this.
  4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I'm not knocking it. Merely enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at the expense of those whose opposition inadvertently brought this about.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  5. danny la rouge

I’d like the option of civil partnership: mrs la rouge and I aren’t married and aren’t going to be, but we have been together nearly 25 years now and have two grown up children but she’s still not my next of kin if anything serious should happen to me (and vice versa). I’d like the chance to correct that.

kebabking, JimW and skyscraper101 like this.
  6. danny la rouge

I have to admit I'm a bit bamboozled by the format of the consultation. I'm going to have to take some time and work out what it is I have to answer in order to support the case I wish to support!