The format wars - Full Frame vs MFT vs APS-C etc.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alsoknownas, Oct 5, 2018.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I thought you had an Oly editor? Did you find it less than ideal in low light?

I was pondering if that is the case, why it might be? but I didn't know why ..

2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

There is just physically more light hitting a larger surface area sensor, right?

I'm a bit fuzzy on the physics, but here's a chart that claims to show relative light sensitivity per sensor:

Low-Light-Performance-By-Sensor-Size.jpg
    (source: digital-photography-school.com)

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Olympus is brilliant as a travel/general use camera. Fast, light and capable of taking superb shots.

All that comes unstuck when you're trying to photograph non league football under the painfully dim floodlights of amateur clubs, so I reluctantly shelled out for a Sony a7ii.

4. weltweit

Oh alsoknownas I was wondering about things like focussing in low light and couldn't think why MFT should be any worse than FF. But total light and image quality you could have a point.

Also I don't know, but my D800 impresses me at high ISOs. I was at a talk last week by a nature photographer and she (D810) said she often started at 3000 iso to get her shutter speeds up. There was no reason to doubt her images weren't low ISO, they were very clean.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is a pretty good analysis:

alsoknownas and FridgeMagnet like this.
  6. weltweit

I don't really get the format wars concept.

I started with a fixed zoom lens mirrorless EVF camera which I enjoyed. After a few years I wanted to try an optical viewfinder so I bought a APSC crop dslr. Then most recently I wanted to get better high ISO performance, larger files, and a camera that would work ideally with my FX lenses, so I bought a FF dslr.

I don't see any war, I know people who swear by their MFT cameras, just as others swear by other gear. Live and let live and vive le variety :)

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It’s all bollocks tbh - boring blokes on the internet arguing about tech for the sake of it, just like there are with every other sort of tech. I asked one recently what he couldn’t achieve artistically based on one non-flaw that he was attacking a system for and I don’t think he even understood the question.

8. weltweit

I agree, boring topic for argument.

I was at a presentation recently by a couple who both achieved their ARPS (which is apparently a little tricky to do) He was a traditional photographer who knew his f stops from his Manual mode etc, his partner just shot in the scene modes on her camera, they both got their ARPS and many of us thought her images were quite a bit more compelling than his :)

9. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

The only relevant point is whether Panasonic and Olympus continue to develop bodies and lenses for the MFT format. Any my-sensor-is bigger-than-your-sensor stuff is, of course, bollocks. But it's a rapidly changing camera market, with phones eating up a huge part of the consumer market, and 'luxury' seemingly being the hot ticket at the moment, so some people are worried about the medium-long term viability of the format.

Of course all our brilliant cameras are not going to stop working or taking great pictures just because these companies (hypothetically) aren't continuing support for MFT. But it is a worry if you're investing scarce cash in glass that will then become next to worthless, etc.

On phones - it's not that they are as good as compact cameras (they're not), it's just that a threshold has been crossed where avarage person who would have gone out and brought a compact camera now feels that their phone is good enough to do the job - thus lower camera sales at the bottom end of the market.

editor likes this.
  10. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Have to say I really like that guy. His tech guides are particularly well done.

editor likes this.