1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Football Lads Alliance

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Rutita1

Rutita1 Wicked, Wicked, HYSTERICAL!

What, are you being a dick? JUST say what you think the left should be doing...it's quite a simple question.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. I thinks steps post is a good starting point.

3. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

it means what it's meant every time anyone has proposed the same interventions anytime over the last decade or two.

I'm no theorist, is 'fascism' actually an appropriate term for religiously inspired suicide bombers? Is it a blanket term now? Are far right and pro-Sharia economic and racial/nationalist policies similar enough that minor social policy differences (eg demanding to keep children as sex slaves, that women must cover every inch of their bodies and that alcohol be banned) can be glossed over?

4. They're not inspired by religion, they're inspired by their politics. There's plenty of reading material out there that argues that ISIS (and Islamism) is fascism if you're interested.

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh. but what if they *are* inspired by their religion? from what you're saying, you know better than e.g. al-baghdadi what inspires him.

just because there's lots of stuff saying 'isis (and islamism) is fascism' doesn't mean a) that it's right; b) that it's cogently argued; or c) that anyone should bother with it. there's lots and lots of stuff out there saying jesus is the son of god, but i see no reason to equate the quantity of it with the quality.

Red Sky likes this.
  6. It's obviously interwoven but that doesn't make it non political.

7. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

a starting point, in 2017 that has so many echoes of both Prevent and EDL as to be distinguishable only in the fine detail

8. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

No doubt, but I'll bet there are orders of magnitude more focusing on religion written and published by the the Sharia types themselves.

9. Look your mind isn't going to be changed so why are you even posting on it?

10. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

is yours?

I've had my mind changed plenty of times by debates on here. I'm encouraging you and anyone else to stand up the proposition that's been made.

If, as claimed, the public is worried and seeking political direction then this is an important issue to explore, no? Convince me there is an identifiable left position that can and should be articulated and that the working class would benefit from the left doing so.

Or, it's just a bit of chatter on an obscure thread that will soon be lost.

11. But I'm getting the impression that I'd be wasting my time. There's already been goal post shifting - I'm expected to do your leg work and define it as fascism, show that they organise publicly (and presumably where?) and this comes after pages of the worried public red herring. And you're just downplaying everything and I haven't got the stamina.

12. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Surely it should be your leg work? If you think jihadism should be confronted like this , then lead the way.

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. Surely, as an anti fascist, you'd already know the answer if you were worth your salt?

14. Red Sky

Do you want people to mobilise against them or not?

15. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

you're making the definition, steps claimed the public is worried. I've made the mistake of querying when I should just accept what I read?

It's only a waste of your time if the proposition(s) you two are trying to stand up have no substance. If your position amounts to anything, it's very important, surely. otherwise the far right will be able to mobilise public opinion in their own, somewhat dubious, way because there is a vacuum where the left alternative ought to be.

16. Does AFN want guidance from me? :D

17. Red Sky

I'm not the AFN. In any case if you think this kind of mobilisation is a priority then you know what to do, all the rest is just hot air.

Pickman's model and Rutita1 like this.
  18. True.

19. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I'll add 'I think the claim the public are worried is overstated' to the rest of your 'query'

20. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

always a pleasure reading

21. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

There is only one, and that is to oppose fascistic Islamism even harder than the far right does-and to do it from the position of insisting that this is not racism, while pouring contempt on the Trot/liberal dinosaurs who try to claim that it is.

Your claim that nobody is worried about the actions and apparent strategy of these fucking fruitcakes is incredible, by the way.

22. Red Sky

Football Lads Alliance or at least their Twitter account seems to have taken a strong dislike to all things Celtic.

23. I wonder how their October demo will pan out. Leaving huge gaps between mobilisations tends to lead to momentum being lost. Maybe ISIS will help them out with some more attacks.
    It's good that in the mean time anonymous twitter accounts are focusing on stickers.

24. Red Sky

It's not really anonymous is it? It's their main public voice.

25. I don't know the structure so I'll accept you're right on this. And I will take it as evidence of patriotic leanings.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It still sits uneasily with me, so I won't be joining in.

B.I.G likes this.
  27. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Clapton part of the football lads alliance?

28. Red Sky

I doubt it.

29. It's bizarre to claim other football fans are extremists if they're hooligans, given they're made up of hooligans.

MrSpikey likes this.
  30. Red Sky

I'm guessing it's the whole Up the 'RA shtick. The FLA did a photo op at a recent commemoration for the victims of the Birmingham pub bombings.

That linkage between the IRA and ISIS is quite common on the far right, with some of the older bods behind groups like the South East Alliance having cut their teeth on attacks against Troops Out marches.

Reading their Twitter they're definitely moving rightwards. I think their October march could be quite big.