1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Football Lads Alliance

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Jul 3, 2017.

1. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

There's some good points in there tbh - just a bit weird to get in some digs against posters on this thread for having opinions they don't appear to have - almost as if whoever wrote that post hasn't actually read the thread. Ironic, considering the topic.

chilango likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm afraid it lost all credibility for me at that point. It's not pleasant seeing posters (and this discussion) being misrepresented so unfairly.

3. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I'd imagine that, instead of reading the whole 16-page thread, they'll have taken LiamO 's word about what he was responding to tbh. Not sure why Liam would want to misrepresent what was being said though. Maybe he could explain what's happened there?

editor likes this.
  4. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

Indeed. I wonder why they've come to the conclusion that

editor likes this.
  5. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

It couldn't be that Liam lied to his mates in Red Action about the content of this discussion to score cheap points against people here could it? Can't be.

MadeInBedlam, editor and Red Sky like this.
  6. MadeInBedlam

Did they just chance upon your post LiamO?

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, I'm looking forward to his explanation why he chose to deviously misrepresent people's views here.

8. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

A couple of things:

First - from the FB page in question - "RED ACTION NO LONGER EXISTS AS A FORMAL POLITICAL ORGANISATION. THIS PAGE IS EDITED BY FORMER MEMBERS OF RED ACTION". Worth just remembering that at this point.

Second - I think LiamO's post is a valid, and important, reminder of the role "football lads" have played in the past, and the importance of not dismissing stuff because of their involvement.

However, there seem to be different arguments getting mixed up here. Whether the FLA is racist/fascist etc. and should be opposed by anti-fascists versus whether jihadism is fascist and should be opposed by anti-fascists versus whether the FLA can oppose the jihadis in a similar manner to how the dash were opposed by RA/AFA in the 70s,80s and 90s versus a bunch of other stuff getting dragged into the mix.

The Flying Pig, LiamO and killer b like this.
  9. chilango

Noticing my typo in the post above has led me to a wave of "inspiration"...

Baesh the Daesh

Anti-Daeshist Action

Beating the Daeshists

...and so on.

You're welcome.

10. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Anti fascists are already opposing Da'esh/ISIS by travelling to Syria and joining the YPG. Not enough is perhaps made of the fact that some people who were scrapping with the EDL a couple of years ago are now advancing on Raqqa.

Pickman's model and LiamO like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So it's possibly just one person then and thus carries no more weight than someone posting here.

12. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I don't know the answer to this so don't shoot me, but is there any evidence that it's only anti-fascists doing that? Is it possible that people on the EDL side of those protests are also advancing on Raqqa, (not necessarily in the same units)?

13. chilango

I don't know.

That's the point.

It might be.

It might equally be a core of RA's cadre remain in touch and manage the FB page collectively.

Confirmation isn't really going to happen either way. Is it?

14. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

lol!! would love to see evidence of that, not been offered any in the past when brought the fact it is anti-fascists out there actually doing the do

Pickman's model likes this.
  15. chilango

Not really a strategy that many anti-fascists in the U.K. can usefully adopt though is it?

Nor is it challenging the growth of jihadism in w/c communities here either is it?

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If they're producing as stuff as sloppy and as ill informed as that last piece, I'll be giving them a miss.

17. Red Sky

There have been right wingers out there. They guy who originally set Pegida up (Timothy Scott?) had been out there. Apparently some right wingers from the states have joined Iraqi Christian militias on finding out what a bunch of pinkoes the Kurds were!

18. Red Sky

But it does illustrate pretty neatly where UK anti fascists stand on jihadism. The myth on the right (and in some sections of the Left it seems) is that anti fascists are tolerant of jihadism for fear of being called racists. That is emphatically not the case.

In my case I always thought that standing together with victimised Muslims against the EDL was also an act against jihadism.

19. chilango

The piece itself is good, for what it is. A reminder from history that we should be mindful of in these discussions.

Its pitching it as a response to something that hasn't happened that's disappointing. And unnecessary.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But by framing around a gross misrepresentation/personal beef, it renders the whole piece untrustworthy and easy to dismiss.

21. chilango

Again, I think there is confusion (not by you) at large here.

That undoubtedly sections of the Left have at times been too tolerant of Islamists ≠ Anti fascists are too tolerant of jihadism.

It's a lazy conflation. And a convenient one for some from all sides. Doesn't really stand up though, does it?

22. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

cheers. reinforces my thought that this really isn't that much of a left/right issue. Except....

yes. Racists will be racist and try to exploit anything they can.

23. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

correctomundo, so I believe.

24. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

lol

Smokeandsteam and Magnus McGinty like this.
  25. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

I spoke to no-one.

In fact I haven't spoken to anybody likely to be running that FB page in mebbe two years. I'm sure I was told who was modding it whenever it was set up. It popped up on my fb - as every post there does.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  26. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

Cos they can't read themselves?

Ho Chi Ming and Magnus McGinty like this.
  27. MadeInBedlam

Do you think this is accurate LiamO

editor likes this.
  28. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

Pure fantasy.

And the whining about misrepresetation is a bit rich coming from some of the people on here who deliberately misrepresented Magnus McGinty's position

Ho Chi Ming and Magnus McGinty like this.
  29. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Anyone who uses 'penned' is not worth taking seriously.

editor likes this.
  30. MadeInBedlam

Lol

editor likes this.