1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Football Lads Alliance

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

So far , they've only done the one event. It wasn't particularly provocative, more like a peace vigil. It wasn't opposed by anyone on the ground. "Wait and see" seems the logical way to go.

However given what happened in Manchester on the 5th, it would be foolish to totally dismiss the possibility that this movement or part of it could go on to be EDL MK 2.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. And maybe they'll become that if both the left and right are pushing them to be that.

3. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

Crap movement if they can't determine their own politics.

4. Red Sky

At the moment their politics seem to just to march and lobby the government to crack down harder on jihadists.

We'll find out more if and when there's another terrorist attack and they call a response to it.

5. MadeInBedlam

See the post above mine.

6. And if there's another terrorist attack and the left don't call a response to it. And instead call a response to those calling a response to it.

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yeh. Let's wait and see who the attack's by first eh.

8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

wondered about the width of neck allowed. Liam speaks of 'no pencil necks'. Whose pencil are we using as measurement here? My head is on a cocktail stick, but surely wider necks than mine will suffice. Its not the width of the neck, its what you do with it

bimble and editor like this.
  9. You're very aggressive about this mate, which I'm surprised about. I always assumed your politics were nuanced.

10. Pickman's model

They are.

ddraig likes this.
  11. I don't see any evidence of you suggesting organising against Islamist Fascists being a good thing but I'm happy to be corrected.

12. *taps watch*

13. Pickman's model

Yeh. So when you say terrorist you mean Islamist. Cheers.

ddraig likes this.
  14. In the context of how the FLA came about.

15. MadeInBedlam

No other terrorism going on then

16. Maybe if the far right were blowing up kids at concerts they'd let that slide?

17. MadeInBedlam

There is no far right terrorism in this country then? Yes/no?

18. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

:hmm:

19. Pickman's model

You don't think we'd learn anything from their response to another Finsbury Park

20. AFAIK, the left don't have a response to that either.

21. Pickman's model

Not sure how you know the FLA response will be no response.

22. Well I know your response will be no response.

23. Pickman's model

What about tomorrow night's lottery numbers?

24. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Exactly what response to a terrorist attack should the left call in your opinion?

25. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

This is the thing. Every time MM posts on this all I see him saying is "Something must be done about these terrorists! The Football Lads are doing something therefore that is good". It's just daft. Unless he thinks that the FLA marching around is likely in some way to reduce the chances of another islamist-inspired attack happening in which case he's stupider than I thought.

Red Sky and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  26. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

Probably not an A-B march.

27. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

no, nor tearing up (what's left of) civil liberties. Control orders & TPIMs are already in place (fwiw, put there by a Labour government). New jails are being built. As I said above the 'left', well Corbyn, has demanded an extra 20,000 police. The harder left response to that, along with armed police on the streets, increased security services, increased surveillance etc, even the response to military intervention abroad, has been muted or non-existent. ie the approach to Islamist terrorism seems pretty much consistent across the political spectrum, until you get to the deport them all types. Unusually for such a major issue (and unlike previous campaigns of terrorism here) this is not a left-right battleground.

It's all very well saying 'something must be done' but quite what response is being asked for is not at all clear. What exactly is the class based, materially focused, response to individual or small cell acts of terrorism ideologically inspired from abroad that 99.9999% of the population are massively opposed to?

28. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

Or to ask it a different way....

If most of us here are broadly in favour of the RA/AFA/IWCA approach to anti-fascism (and if anyone isn't, apologies) then what can be done, that isn't already being done, to extend that to domestic jihadi stuff?

29. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

That Red Action facebook post is a bit odd - it talks about adopting a 'wait and see' view, and suggests posters on this thread have dismissed the FLA as 'islamophobic'.

Surely the discussion on this thread is exactly how you 'wait and see' in situations like this? I've seen little dismissal, and none whatsoever on the basis of islamophobia - scepticism, perhaps... but I think that's fairly reasonable considering.

editor and emanymton like this.
  30. Red Sky

I think they're a bit lost unless they can claim to be in sole possession of the truth.