1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Football Lads Alliance

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Jul 3, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's been mentioned in the EDL thread but I thought it was worth a thread of its own in response to this post

Who are the Football Lads Alliance (FLA)? - Stand Up To Racism

spitfire likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

3. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

What date does the season start again?

4. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

That article is more reaching than Diego Maradona. Perhaps not but at best it raises a few question marks and at worse it's clutching at straws.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The fact that they called it Football Lads probably hints at the kind of inclusiveness and modern thinking they're after.

emanymton likes this.
  6. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Isn't the site it's posted on an SWP front? The problem with articles like this is that they don't actually deal with the issue that people are worried about it . It's fine to out the far right but unless the left comes up with an alternative it will be the far right that will try and get its hands on the issue despite the organisers of the demos efforts .

7. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

It's that sort of thing I didnt like editor . It comes across a petty I think, like there's one way to oragnise a march we weren't invited so we're against you. The article is lacking any real meat and goes on a whatabouterry crusade. I don't know how they'll pan out but I found it a bit annoying.

ETA: I didn't know it was SWP when I wrote that either

8. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

9. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This comment seems to ring true. Why weren't ordinary football supporters' groups invited?

11. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Yea well no doubt it could have been better organised. And the name isn't exactly the work of Shakespeare. But i do think the overall intention was of good nature. They just don't know how to work the media. But fuck the media I say.

SE25 likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm a football fan and I've been directly involved in football campaigning and from where I'm sitting something doesn't sit right with this lot.

"Football Lads" FFS. This is 2017, not 1997.

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  13. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't there, but I like to keep an open mind about things

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Me too, and that's why I pay attention to the details and try to find out more. Like how they've decided to name themselves. I won't be going on any of their marches.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. sealion

Football barmies, lads and firms all have a different meaning in my experience. Barmies will wear club colours bang a drum and shake hands with an opposing supporter and avoid trouble. Lads wear the latest clobber have a sing song and follow a culture and some occasionly get into a bit of bother if it comes about. Firms are tight groups of mates that have a an organised punch ups with other firms often no where near the stadium, barmies or normal match goers.
    Any hooligan that knows the score won't use facebook or any other form of social media to arrange a meet. The football intelligence unit are all over it looking to stay a step ahead of the firms.

SpackleFrog likes this.
  17. sealion

18. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Barmies? I've literally never heard that used about anyone connected with football.

19. sealion

Very much like the barmy army that follows the England cricket team. Drum banging trumpet playing pissed up harmless fans.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm trying not to judge on appearance alone, but from what I've seen of the people on that march, the majority seem to fit a very narrow demographic. Geezahs, you might say.

21. juice_terry

juice_terry Here is a man who would not take it anymore.

22. juice_terry

Which is exactly what the march was .. it was organised by football hooligans for football hooligans .. hence being called Football Lads Alliance .. I don't understand the shock here that a march organised by hooligans for hooligans was attended by hooligans

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

emanymton and Magnus McGinty like this.
  23. sealion

Old and young. Some of the geezahs :D are in there sixties and way past it i would imagine.

24. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Do people have a problem with Clerical Fascists being protested against, or just if it's by the wrong sort of protester?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lads. It's all about the lads. Fuck the families, the elderly, the kids and the women. They're the wrong kind of football fan for this movement. This is for the lads only.

26. juice_terry

It was hooligans .. organised by and for hooligans.. next you'll be wanting them to invite the women and children for their next fight at a service station against each other !!! How about someone organises a demonstration against the extremists that can be a family affair ? That can really show a sense of community against these attacks.. (by ALL extremist fascist nutcases) instead of bemoaning when a group of hooligans do it .. yes this may come to light about being organised by the right but at the moment there's no evidence of that but still those on the left can't help tut and finger wag.. I'd support whole heartedly support an initiative from the left against extremism and terrorist attacks but everyone's too scared because you'll instantly have the usual suspects denounce it as racist

Fedayn, SE25, mather and 2 others like this.
  27. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I'm fairly certain most Antifa groups organise through closed channels and aren't open to kids and families either.

ffsear and mather like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How many of them have claimed to represent football fans?

29. juice_terry

No one on this march is claiming to represent football fans are they ? It is what it says on the tin .. there may or may not be right wing elements behind it .. there's no cast iron evidence to say that there is at the moment.. it's never been advertised as a thing for all football fans .. it's a hooligan thing .. I don't understand why you are failing to acknowledge this??

mather likes this.
  30. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Trigger warning - BANG!

Dude, can you turn that off? Quite interested in this thread, but that is very distracting.

I don't know how to do it, but there is a way. Thanks in advance.:)