1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fall

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by J Ed, Nov 29, 2016.

1. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

Never really managed to get into The Fall despite 3 decades of trying.

The EP of covers done by Sonic Youth is quite cool though.

4 Tunna Brix - Wikipedia

mojo pixy and SpookyFrank like this.
  2. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

I love The Fall, been listening to them on and off since I first heard them on Peel's show in the mid-80s. He always claimed they were his fave band, and certainly they recorded about (at least) 10 Peel Sessions over the years. They're also unbelievably influential and dozens if not hundreds of bands owe(d) a lot to their sound / style.

Never seen them live and that's fine, I'd rather see a band whose set isn't deliberately ruined by the vocalist's vanity. Don't love all their albums but a few that I rate highly are This Nation's Saving Grace, The Frenz Experiment, Grotesque after the Gramme. More recently I've enjoyed Country on the Click, Imperial Wax Solvent and Fall Heads Roll.

My little boy (aged 4) likes them too.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

What about the meek?
    I say they've got a bloody cheek.

I like the fall.

J Ed and danny la rouge like this.
  4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Five?

Five of these.

IMG_1153.JPG

craigxcraig likes this.
  5. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Been listening and liking Slates this weekend :thumbs:

danny la rouge likes this.
  6. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

My unpopular opinions on Fall albums:
    1) Bend Sinister is one of their very best.
    2) Weird and Frightening World is really poor. Worse than Cerebral Caustic.

7. mojo pixy

Can I offer an unlikely Fall opinion as well?
    I like Shift Work.
    There, I said it.

8. Andrew Hertford

Andrew Hertford Chocolate Jesus

I first saw The Fall in 1978 and I must have seen them dozens of times over the next 20 years or so. They were amazing. My favourite album is still This Nation's Saving Grace, although I haven't heard them all... yet.

Favourite video:

9. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

One of the highlights of last years Glastonbury for me .

he even smiled and I love his blue jumper .

neonwilderness likes this.
  10. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

you know it's nearly 40 years since 1978 now? :hmm:

11. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

He hasn't seen the Fall in the last 20 years.

12. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Listening to this playlist on spotify, This is: The Fall - its brilliant. Loving Fiery Jack and many others :)

13. butchersapron

New album is actually good.

14. butchersapron

Scratch that, it's effing briliant.

craigxcraig and neonwilderness like this.
  15. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Victoria Train Station Massacre manages to live up to its title, which is nice.

16. mojo pixy

The last ten years or so have IMO seen some of the best Fall albums I've heard. Fall Heads Roll, Country on the Click and especially Imperial Wax Solvent have been great. But then, everyone loves different things about The Fall.

Looking forward to hearing the new one.

17. petee

petee i'm spartacus

thanks to my clued-in best bud at the time i heard them right from Live at the Witch Trials, tho' i missed all of their 90s stuff, which I'm nibbling through these days (Extricate: fantastic; Shift Work: not to my taste). This Nation's Saving Grace is a personal favorite.

the first few Blue Orchids albums were great too.

18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I was made aware of this dub track by the fall recently, my word it is very fine. (cover of lee perry; him and mark e have got some similarities as personalities)

19. butchersapron

Why on earth did you write 'dub' there?

20. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It's dubby.... trust me I know about this. I don't know much about the fall, but I do know about dub. several fall tracks that I've heard have very dubbed out production actually.

21. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Like that one off this nations saving grace... paintwork? that is very dubby too.

22. butchersapron

You think the LP song kimble was 'dub reggae'? Behave.

23. butchersapron

Paintwork just has some echo whilst he moans about his house. A recurring theme on that album - see also no bulbs.

24. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I'd never heard Lee Perry's original version, no that isn't dubby at all... The Fall version is dubby tho (not dub reggae, but "dubbed out production"... studio as an instrument, non linear structure, out of control echoooo, organic effects)... doesn't Paintwork also have some weird accidental backwards bit too? I forget, I just know as soon as I heard both of them my brain tagged them as dub.

Like I said I am no expert on them, I haven't even listened to this nations saving grace all the way through... I seem to enjoy them more just occasionally being introduced to or accidentally hearing random obscure tracks that sound very diverse.

25. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I also enjoy them live, but that is a totally different kind of enjoyment.

26. butchersapron

Paintwork has about 20 diff things all going at once - backwards forwards, sideways, inside out...

One of my favs.

27. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

yep it definitely sticks out for me... first time I heard it it came on halfway through this homemade compilation tape that someone had made, it blew everything else on the tape away

28. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It's kind o interesting, actually, that Kimble song, how the fall take one of lee perry's straight, undubby songs (that he did a lot of earlyish in his career), but cover it in a very dreamlike dubby fashion like Perry's most fucked-up black ark productions (like e.g. his "Revolution Dub" album)

29. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I first saw the Fall in 1983, in Berlin on a school trip:thumbs:
    We were allowed to go of by ourselves at might in Berlin :eek: I was 14.... Anyway I went an area surrounded with bars and clubs and saw the Fall!!!

I bought a ticket to see em in Bristol in March, but they cancelled due to Himself having a chest infection. I sent the tickets back to giant as instructed - by recorded delivery at my own expense....forgot about it, got an email saying they were playing again later this year, emailed them with the original ticket ref, saying I'd sent em back - but cus I can't find my tracking recipit there is nothing they can do, so that's £21 + ££ down the shitter!! :mad: Might go and see em again though.....

30. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

they were pretty banging at the Garage last year... best I saw them I think.

Johnny Vodka likes this.