1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Expanse" - New near-future sci-fi TV

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Crispy, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Corax

Corax Read my blog you bastards.

Hmm. Okay.

For me personally, it didn't jar, as we know little of the younger years of anyone other than Holden & Tex Kamal. Even those that grew up on 'Mars' or 'The Belt' - we don't get given anything more specific than that, so could have been subject to regional/cultural dialects etc.

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

sense8

Corax likes this.
  3. Corax

15 minutes into the first episode and I already love it. You r00l Dotty. :cool:

DotCommunist likes this.
  4. Corax

Four episodes and still brilliant DotCommunist

They're like a geographically disparate Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers :cool:

5. DotCommunist

there was an xmas special and srs 2 is due soonish. :cool:

Corax likes this.
  6. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

As it was your recommendation, I started watching it last night. Really good. :) Series 2 is already available on torrent sites and Kodi.

DotCommunist likes this.
  7. DotCommunist

excellent I'll get a download tonight. Big snooker final first lol

J Ed and teqniq like this.
  8. Corax

Is it? Not finding anything on TPB, KAT or ET... :confused:

9. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

10. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

I torrented it less than a day after the last episode had aired. I'm just waiting for my joy to fade so I can binge the whole series :D

11. Corax

Aaah - I thought you were still referring to Sense8!

(which is also due S2 soon - on the 5th I think)

12. DotCommunist

the 5th yes. xmas special is listed as part of srs 2 hence earlier confusionz

13. Corax

Just about to hit play on Sense8 S01E12. Christmas special and Expanse S02E01 Thursday, but what am I going to watch on Friday that's anywhere near as good as these two?

Ah, of course - I can catch up with The Great Indoors.

[​IMG]

:hmm:

14. DotCommunist

Mrs Browns Boys

15. Corax

I've already worn out my box-sets.

16. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

I've watched this up until the opening episode of Season 2. When did SyFy start making stuff like this, decent hard-ish TV sci-fi, as opposed to pure shit like Sharknado?

Season 3 is coming out next year. It's going to be annoying having to wait that long.

Signal 11 likes this.
  17. Corax

It's getting insane. Not just SyFy, and not just Sci-Fi, but generally. The 'golden age of television' rhetoric doesn't appear to be as much bollocks as it sounds. I was considering starting a thread about it tbh, but couldn't be arsed.

Here's a little list, which is of course biased by my particular tastes.

The Expanse
    Peaky Blinders
    American Gods
    Westworld
    Game of Thrones
    Sense8

I could chuck more in - Into the Badlands, Legion, Stan Lee's Lucky Man, Gotham - but those above I imagine have wider appeal.

Even if these aren't your cup of tea, the production values are way above what we've seen before. It's not long ago people were spewing hot yoghurt over Breaking Bad. Most of those above kick BB in the ballsack.

oneflewover likes this.
  18. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I think people have realised the cinemas a con which helps.

Hook the audience with a decent TV show and you put bums on seats for longer and get the money from marketing tie in merchandising as well.

19. DotCommunist

the best stuff is also coming from people who already have a subscriber base in the US or worldwide as well.

20. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Great end to the series. Just binge watched the last four episodes. I want S3 to start already!

21. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

22. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

Couldn't stick with the sense8 'special', it was so bad that we switched off after about 45 minutes. Funny thing we both (husband and I) agreed it was bad :D Never went back to it after that. (Yeah, S1 we enjoyed)

23. Artaxerxes

Yeah the special was terrible.

Just seen S2 episode one and much better so far.

24. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I see there's a boardgame coming out: The Expanse Board Game | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
    2 player is Earth & Mars
    3 player is Earth, Mars & OPA
    4 player is Earth, Mars, OPA & Protogen

sounds interesting, there's a thread there with the designer talking about the game and how much he loves the book/tv series, it sounds good and I would play OPA even in a two player game (one for the informal anarchist action thread obv). End of August apparently.

25. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

SyFy stuff is good. Also check out Z Nation. Which is superlatively cheesy zombie stuff.

26. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

The Expanse isn't that good though. The guy with the hat is so generic and his hat substitutes for his/a personality.

27. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

It's space opera with enough hard sci-fi flourishes to keep nerds like me happy. In that case I can forgive Miller being a typical broody hardboiled detective from noir fiction. Especially since the guy playing him does a good enough job for me to actually care about the character.

28. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

It's arguable that Miller is going to be more interesting as the story goes on. All he really needed to do in terms of the narrative was
    have a good excuse to be chasing Julie Mao, so as to catch her and become protomolecule with her or something like that.

tl;dr, that character didn't really need to be deep and nuanced anyway IMO

29. Corax

*hat tip*

Brousaaaaaard! :cool:

[​IMG]

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

30. Artaxerxes

He's a lot more enjoyable to watch than seeing captain pretty boy pout for the tenth time.

oneflewover and mojo pixy like this.