1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by llantwit, May 31, 2006.

1. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

i went to the hardwick yesterday. fucking lush. what an awesome place.

2. pigtails

pigtails putting the tit in titilate

OMG *jealous*
    We're going in may, can't wait!!

3. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

went to fish at 85 last night. cracking meal. excellent staff. loved it.

4. JKaranka

JKaranka Active Member

Went to the Vietnamese Pho Bac. Some interesting flavours but not in love with the food. Very good service and reasonable prices, but wouldn't make the treck unless I had a good reason to do so. Puddings are very good, though.

5. pepper78

pepper78 Well-Known Member

Went to Bangkok Cafe last night in canton. Was nice but think next time I'd just order a load of starters as these were the biggest hit. Tom Yum soup.....mmmmmmmmmm

6. pigtails

We had a bit of a gastronomic tour this week
    Sat - The Canteen on Clifton Street - always good and great portions!

Sun - Ruthin Castle - It was good but not amazing and certainly not as good as any of the next 3 places and was more expensive!
    1.jpg
    Starters: Belly Pork with sour apple + Comfit pheasent, pheasent breast and caramalised red cabbage
    Mains: Duck with dauphinoise potatos + Fillet of Lamb with stew and rosemary dumplings
    Puddings: Assiette of puddings: Raspberry Cheesecake, Orange Creme Brulee and choloate and pistachio mousse + Taste of the Carribean: Homemade bounty, banana panna cotta and rum jelly

Wed - The Bell at Skenfrith - Really good but a bit try hard for me
    1.jpg
    Starters: Chicken and Caerphilly Tureen with spiced carroy chutney + Crab mousse, smoked salmon with red pepper sorbet and avacardo
    Mains: Pork Belly with butternut squash, champ and seasonal veg + Rack of Lamb, Confit lamb, lambs kidney with crushed peas and sauted potatos
    Pudding: Vanilla Panacotta with strawberry jelly, basil sorbet and cracked black pepper caramel + Passion Fruit cream with coconut jelly, mango and cardamon sorbet

Thurs - The Fox Hunter at Nantyderry - really good food and a lovely atmosphere.
    1.jpg
    Starters: Mushrooms with garlic, capers and parmesan on toast + Smoked halibut on scrambled eggs with dill and brushetta
    Main: (Both had the same) Roast Hake stake, sauteed potatos, piquillo peppers, chorizo and watercress
    Pudding: Cheesecake cream and poached strawberrys + Lemmon Posset and cantucci biscuits

Fri - The Hardwick - Best by a long way, defo one of the best places I've ever been to!
    1.jpg
    Starters: Crispy breadcrumbed pork belly and black pudding with apple mustard sauce and pickled fennel + Pan fried ravioli of goats cheese with brown butter, beetroot and watercress
    Main: Bah Bah Black Sheep - A taste of local organic lamb; Roast loin, merguez style sausage, Faggot and braised neck, shepherds pie and crispy breadcrumbed leg - to share
    Puddings: Creme brullee + Homemade Apple sorbet, vanilla ice cream and pineapple sorbet
    The pork belly starter is defo one of my fave dishes ever!
    Anyway we're right stuffed and probably put on a stone and spent a fortune - good birthday week for me though!
    :D

7. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

bloody ell! :eek:
    vegi fest on tonight in Roath for ya

8. pigtails

Yeah and maybe some All Bran!! :oops:

9. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Quite a week.

Out of interest, were you full up when you left Ruthin castle, or did you have to stop for chips on the way home?

10. pigtails

:D
    We didn't stop for chips but no I wasn't particularly stuffed!
    Mind you that's probably not a bad thing sometimes.

11. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

the hardwick have a great offer on sundays. room for the night and a meal for two - £80. awesome place.

wayward bob likes this.
  12. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

i'm gonna get that lamb dish next time i'm there. i think it's the one he did on gbm.

13. pigtails

It's fucking amazing!!!

14. nogojones

where did you see that offer?

15. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

was told about it by our waitress. don't think you'll see it advertised, but you could phone and ask.

16. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

17. JKaranka

JKaranka Active Member

Six Flavours in City Road is underrated. Vegetarian curries are the best there. Went in a group of eight today and we had a few of the starters, followed by a variety of mains, and then all the puddings. Everything is proper hot but tasty at the same time. Vegetarian curries, specially with cottage cheese or aubergine really shine. Egg curries very good as well. Also, it is one of those where you bring your own drinks and there are no set menus, so we stuffed ourselves for about eight or nine quid (they probably got a twenty pound tip, though!).

18. cheesetoastie

cheesetoastie New Member

19. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Noodlebox Cardiff, Salisbury road, Cathays
    happened again! :mad: :(
    really gutted, disappointed + sick to find chicken in Vegi noodlebox for 2nd time. once a mistake, twice is careless :( shame

last time they were really apologetic, genuinely concerned and mortified. refunded and gave us a free replacement so forgave them. this time offered a replacement but didn't seem that concerned.

gutted.

20. nogojones

The times I've tried them I've been underwhelmed as well.

21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

it can be really nice sometimes when they make an effort
    back to safe chips for me!

22. nogojones

How hard can it be to cook noodles?

23. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Is that cn Chinese place off Albany Road any good? Might go tonight.

24. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

few reviews on this thread, people seemd happy

25. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

DO NOT! DO NOT! GO to el paso on City road Cardiff, was throwing up violently after going there the other night and still feel weird
    seemed like frozen peas and carrots not cooked properly that made up most of it :(

26. poisondwarf

poisondwarf I have a chance...and it is fat.

That's a shame, it used to be great in the 90s.

27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

partner was ok but thought food was grim
    maybe it was the hygene, was a bit dusty in there

28. poisondwarf

The old butchers in menai bridge is well worth a visit if anyone is in anglesey or north wales. It was a fantastic fine dining experience and the service was attentive and relaxed. The free dishes in between the main courses made it all the more special.

29. poisondwarf

It changed owner about a decade ago and i haven't been back since.

30. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

el paso's food was shite when i tried it 10 years back. dunno why you were faffing with noodlebox ddraig, tenkaichi ftw :thumbs: