The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maurice Picarda, Oct 23, 2013.

1. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

How is she at coming when called? Twiglet is doing a great job, unless there are distractions of people and dogs - then she isn't interested in what I have to say.

2. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

It looks like our puppy has Parvovirus.

There's been an outbreak near us, and he's developed what appears to be the classic symptoms. He's staying at the vets now.

Devastated, absolutely devastated.

3. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Fuck :(

kebabking likes this.
  4. iona

iona toxic clown

kebabking likes this.
  5. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

kebabking likes this.
  6. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Desperately sad news kebabking :( :( :(

Hoping he pulls through.

kebabking likes this.
  7. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

8. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Oh, that's sad. Poor pup.

kebabking likes this.
  9. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Another of my niece's dog, Sophie. I love this dog. I wish I could have one. I miss having a dog in my life. So I live my dog life through Sophie. IMG-20180223-WA0000.jpg

10. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

kebabking likes this.
  11. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Oh, fuck. Really sorry to hear it, kebabking

That is full-on worrying. I was never unworried, during our first weeks of Biscuit. Good luck!

kebabking likes this.
  12. mrs quoad

With the most important lesson of dog training recounted on the screen :cool:

13. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

kebabking fingers crossed your dog recovers.

kebabking likes this.
  14. mrs quoad

Are you taking her to training?

Biscuit was variable.

Then there was beef.

And now she is 100% awesome, in pretty much every imaginable situation.

We start each walk with several repetitions of attention games, then she's off the lead. She's rewarded with a piece of beef every time she checks in / turns to look at me, and rewarded every time she comes.

There has only been beef since the weekend; the difference is unimaginable, and the change in pace of learning is - frankly - breathtaking.

Then again, Biscuit is a very food-motivated dog... Cuddles, less so. Food, hell yeah.

PippinTook and Saffy like this.
  15. hegley

hegley new and improved 2.3

A food-motivated labrador - say it ain't so!! :D

Rebelda, PippinTook, Saffy and 4 others like this.
  16. mrs quoad

Tbf, I'm under-complicating it there.

Things she will sort of work for: most kinds of food.

Things that will turn her into a training slave: beef / turkey.

We've had a pretty wide variety of wobbles that were not being solved by 'food,' as such. Like, the wife can't really be arsed with her during the day, so was just letting her out into the garden for half an hour at a time. And in the garden, we'd left half a dozen toys lying around. So perhaps unsurprisingly, Biscuit's attention just wasn't on me when I was at home / taking her out for walks, because we'd begun to teach her to entertain herself. (So we've tidied away all the toys, except when someone's with her; and we only let her out when someone's there).

Equally, we had chuffing weeks of basic repeats of basic things in our garden that would then go awry bc I'd take her out, we'd attempt a recall (or similar), IT WOULD WORK, but then she wouldn't be interested in the treats I had on me. So she wouldn't be 'rewarded' for either the recall, or for the click that I'd instituted as she was coming my way.

Or she'd be walking perfectly at heel (incidentally), I'd be trying to reward her by dropping treats by her nose, and she'd just ignore them bc they weren't interesting enough / the field was too interesting. So, again, we'd come home after a walk in which she'd effectively learnt nothing (and may've de-learnt some things - the clicker was becoming meaningless, or dissociated from rewards. Which was not great).

It properly is beef that made the difference. It's not just food; it's high-value treats. And not even high-value treats, but properly top-end ones.

Before that (and no doubt continuing!) we've had a pretty wide range of interactions that've made 'food motivation' anything but straightforward. If that makes sense?

17. twentythreedom

twentythreedom BREAD FUCKING SAUCE

I'm gonna roast some beef for Ruby - her recall is hopeless if there's dogs or people nearby, which there always is on the beach here. Thanks for the tip mrs quoad :thumbs:

kebabking I hope the poorly pup pulls through asap, poor thing :(

18. mrs quoad

Box of casserole beef, snip it into tiny fragments, low oven (140-160) w/ steam (bowl or water in the bottom, whatever), done in under ten. Sainsburys normal casserole beef is the equivalent of 81p/100g; their turkey is 70p/100g. Animal welfare aside (not sure how much of a role that plays in normal dog food!) that’s cheaper than most shop bought treats.

And the meat water at the bottom of the pan is a big hit w biscuit, too :thumbs:

trabuquera and twentythreedom like this.
  19. twentythreedom

twentythreedom BREAD FUCKING SAUCE

20. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Very sorry about your yettobenamed pup's troubles kebabking - best wishes for him & you

kebabking likes this.
  21. Oh no kebabking, thoughts and prayer to the pup, you and your family :(

kebabking likes this.
  22. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Thank you everyone, I'm grateful.

Some good news, he's been on a drip and antibiotics, but he seems to be perking up and the vet is letting him go home this evening, with a follow up tomorrow and another injection.

He's being treated as if he has Parvovirus, and the other dogs at the kennel have been given precautionary antibiotics, and the whole site has been drenched in bleach.

We've no idea when he will be fit enough to come to us.

This is serious shit folks, it has a fatality rate of 80% for young dogs, it's transmitted through the faeces of unvaccinated dogs but it's can be transported on any surface - footwear, car tyres, clothing, skin, wood, vegetation.

Here's the thing: the virus can live for between six and twelve months, and disinfectant doesn't kill it - only a prolonged exposure to bleach solution works.

We're not out of the woods yet.

PippinTook and Calamity1971 like this.
  23. a_chap

I know; that's why I've been thinking about you and Blurry all day.

Delighted that the news is good so far. We have everything crossed for you here.

kebabking likes this.
  24. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

kebabking likes this.
  25. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Very unfortunately, I don't think there is a vaccine, either.

26. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

kebabking all the best of your pup. It's such a worry.

Because I've been away from home Cassie has gone absolutely bonkers when she saw me today. I thought she was going to faint!

It's nice to be missed and loved though. :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  27. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Saffy - I know how that feels ...
    Whenever I go away, our Ben dog watches me go - with an obvious huff coming on, yet when I get home again, he goes completely "puppy nuts" for several minutes. Also, somewhat embarrassingly, he practically ignores my OH, who does the majority of the driving.

28. iona

iona toxic clown

That's good news kebabking. Fingers crossed for a full, and quick, recovery.

There is a vaccine for parvo.

kebabking likes this.
  29. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Hoping your lovely puppy pulls through, kebabking
    Its good news that he has perked up a bit.
    Everything crossed for a good outcome..

kebabking likes this.
  30. a_chap

There's a vaccine to prevent Parvovirus but no drugs to combat it once an animal's infected.

Parvovirus in dogs