The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maurice Picarda, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Right, Urbanz, name my dog.

He's scruffy, he'll be bigger than a Lab, (Google German Wirehaired Pointer, and hes black with a little white fleck on his chin) he'll do little bit of shooting but he's a family dog.

I like Bramble, or possibly Agamemnon. The kids like Dave the Dog or Gabby, Mrs K likes Thorn, Tangle, or Bob.

Views, and better names welcome.

PippinTook likes this.
  2. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

GIGANTOR!

BoatieBird and kebabking like this.
  3. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Bramble and dave both good.
    How about a German theme? Albert or Kai. Or Otto, a painter not a pointer.

PippinTook, BoatieBird and kebabking like this.
  4. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

'Gustav' springs to mind for some reason

PippinTook and kebabking like this.
  6. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

Otto sounds good

PippinTook likes this.
  7. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Biscuit is having difficulties weeing. Took her outside after a walk just now, five attempts in a minute, not sure any of them were productive. I can leave her alone in the kitchen for thirty seconds and find a 3cm wee puddle, too :hmm:

May be time for the vet? :hmm:

kebabking and PippinTook like this.
  8. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

We've been approved to adopt a puppy! Going to meet them on Saturday. Here's 3 of them yesterday
    27629468_10155518906080674_1588066674278489763_o(1).jpg

9. trashpony

Could just be the cold

PippinTook likes this.
  10. mrs quoad

Her bed is also sodden, I’ve just discovered.

I feel pretty awful - haven’t checked it for a few days! She’s been refusing food in there since yesterday evening, so I’m wondering if it was either sodden since then / yesterday night (poor girl still went in it last night!) or if she unleashed a total torrent of wee between 2300 and 0600 last night :hmm:

Edit: she has also, more generally, been refusing her crunchies - including on her second bed. Which is dry. When out, she’ll try to wee repeatedly. Inside, she’s weeing on the floor multiple times each hour. Mostly, as soon as she’s left alone, but sometimes when our backs are turned!

Hmm! Possibly not a very happy doggo :hmm:

(Lapping up pints of water as I type tho, which is sort of reassuring :hmm: )

11. trashpony

Oh dear - maybe take her to be checked over then? Has she been dry at night up until now?

PippinTook likes this.
  12. PippinTook

PippinTook Some are born to endless night

What about Rolf....mixing the German with wolf. Rolfie is nice....
    Plus wolf day / the day of Rolf, is 6th March. .and he might be with you by then...

Or Schwartz.....seeing as he has black hair?

13. mrs quoad

Yeah. She was totally smashing it.

That said, my mum said she’d been whimpering at about 5am yesterday morning. That might’ve been a trigger point. I think we’ve stayed pretty much as good at taking her out last thing, and my mornings certainly haven’t got any later!

She also seems to be a bit lonely / nervous this morning. LOTS of people round this weekend, and she whimpered at the kitchen stair gate when the wife and toddler left today.

Dunno! She might be uneasy, might be unwell. (I moved some bedding next to my kitchen office chair, and she’s instantly gone to sleep on it).

PippinTook likes this.
  14. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Could there be some separation anxiety is she's wimpering?

I'd get her checked out about the weeing problem. Better safe than sorry.

Saffy, trashpony and PippinTook like this.
  15. Archimage

Archimage Kat Knapper

Here's Alice (the dog) and LucyFur (the cat)
    catdog1.jpg

catdog4.jpg

Rebelda, Sprocket., S☼I and 21 others like this.
  16. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Kai is the Maori word for food, it's also a Swedish first name.

kebabking likes this.
  17. PippinTook

trashpony and Archimage like this.
  18. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

View attachment 126776
    She's still very young. So hopefully its a thing you can work on.
    But worth going to the vets for a check.

Twiglet has decided that one of her three beds is for pissing on, then looking ashamed about.
    She now has only two beds.

PippinTook, mrs quoad and trashpony like this.
  19. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Yesterday we went on her first walk. 10 mins down a quiet road to a pub.
    She did OK. There were a few moments where she was unhappy about the whole thing, and that sitting down and fighting the lead was the only option.
    But mostly she trotted along enjoying all the treats that were used to bribe her on her way.

She loved the pub, though. People giving her attention and they had a tub of free biscuits for dogs. upload_2018-2-5_12-43-8.png

20. trashpony

My dog did a lot of sitting down when he was a puppy. I expect the new one to be exactly the same (although maybe he'll be keen to follow his big brother? )

21. mrs quoad

I'm kinda waiting for official dog training (Weds) before working on the lead. I'm having a go atm, but it isn't straightforward. Whereas we have two huge open stretches of land within 5 mins walk, so I've been carrying her up there, letting her off the lead, and tbh she's fantastic.

Have also been giving her a go off the lead on deserted roads (uni backroads at weekends) to see how she reacts to pavements / following. I mean. It's all great. No concerns in principle. So far.

But it wouldn't take much for it to go horribly wrong IRL, so definitely need lead improvements!

22. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Be careful even on quiet roads. Our receptionist has a well behaved young dog. Walking it something spooked it. It ran into the path of a car. €2000+ of surgery etc the dog is recovering. It's got scaffolding in a leg, a kidney had to be removed, and it'll never walk properly.

trashpony likes this.
  23. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Yeah, from your photos it looked like you have a lot more open space than me!
    I am right on top of finsbury park - but there's a lot going on there. So will build up to it.

The only tip I can give you about lead training is to use shit loads of meat.

PippinTook likes this.
  24. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

kebabking he looks like a Gruff or a Griff to me! But Otto would be good. Or Heinz or Franz?

trashpony and kebabking like this.
  25. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

Personally there's no way I'd let a dog off lead (gardens etc aside) until I was confident it would respond to recall straight away, no matter what distractions there were nearby. Which I think Biscuit is a bit young to be doing, isn't she?

I'll admit I probably have a bit of a thing about this though after the amount of times Giz has been attacked by off-lead dogs.

26. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Yeah, I'm thinking something German - Gunter perhaps...

It's got to be something you can say softly when you're cuddling him on the sofa, and can scream with 'you fucking bastard dog' as he disappears into the next county at warp 9 chasing something small and furry.

Difficult.

PippinTook likes this.
  27. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

What's the German translation of Fenton? :D

28. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Berthold or Reinholdt then? - can be either aggressive sounding or coochy coochy coo depending on the tone of voice ...

trashpony and kebabking like this.
  29. trashpony

I like Otto. Or Gerhard :)

kebabking likes this.
  30. PippinTook

I like the name Rolf...
    The neighbours' dog is called Rolf. And when he barks he sounds like he's barking his name.
    The kids call him Rolfie.
    The owner usually can be heard shouting "Rawwwwwwwlllfff" at top of his lungs when he gets out and makes a run for it ...

On the other hand...
    If I had a German dog I would be tempted to call then Schnitzel :D

kebabking likes this.