The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maurice Picarda, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Rebelda

Rebelda Nearly as bad as Badgers

It really really drives me mad. There's an old JRT in our park that goes up to every dog it sees and attacks it. Owner basically ignores the whole thing, calls pointlessly with no recall and tells it it's naughty. Why the fuck is a dog like that not on a lead? Conversely, I keep my friendly eegit on a lead because she'd approach a dog like that, suffer its wrath then defend herself. Until I know Cara won't approach all dogs without fully respecting 'no I don't want to play' snarls (currently heeds big and old dogs but not small young ones) she walks on a lead until we meet a dog I know wants to play. They don't have a god-given right to run off lead in a public place.

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Rebelda I think all it takes is a few complaints to the local police and they will tell the owner they have to keep the dog on a lead, and sometimes I believe also has to have a muzzle on when in public.

There was a very badly behaved deaf boxer here that attacked a few dogs. Of course it had an as you would expect troublesome owner.

3. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

Telling the owner to keep their dog on a lead won't do fuck-all if other dogs getting attacked hasn't. Plus they have no way of policing it and repeated complaints just lead to more words had ime unless the dog does some pretty serious damage.

Rebelda and kebabking like this.
  4. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Well all I can say is that in the case of the boxer in question, when the owner kept him on a lead, other dog owners were able to keep their dogs away from it and for a while there was peace.

5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

6. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Willow caught a goose the other day. Or rather it didn't fly off and turned round and hissed. She looked kinda of confused about what she should do. So maybe the Patterdale heritage isn't showing totally through. She's still a Twaterdale though.

Visiting the farm she came from this weekend. Sadly Mum wasn't around. They strongly agree with our theory that Dad could have been a collie. :facepalm:

7. Rebelda

:D Did she nab it when it turned round then? Had the same with Cara and a goose this time last year. Her prey drive is slightly lower now I'd say.

Sprocket. likes this.
  8. UnderAnOpenSky

No, it made a swift getaway into the water when she stopped dead in her tracks. Willow avoids water like the plague. I've even seen her stop dead in her tracks when playing with another dog when it's run through a deep looking puddle. However the idiot fell in the canal today. Was charging around like a mad thing and just went. I had to fish her out. She was overdue a bath anyway...

I'm not sure if her prey drive is any lower, but it's been mostly transferred to balls and sticks. She'd go after them for hours if you kept throwing them.

kebabking likes this.
  9. UnderAnOpenSky

We are hoping to get a few days away in May and it will be the first time taking the pup, other then when we have visited my Dad. As always our budget is limited. We're really hoping to camp in Wales if the weather looks OK, but as its the UK...

Anyone know any good sites to help find self catering accommodation that's dog friendly? :)

10. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

Dogs Trust used to have a link on their website iirc, try that if it's still there?

E2a here

a_chap and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  11. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

You can filter so the search is pet friendly on Airbnb.

Maggot likes this.
  12. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Search | VisitWales
    Some options off the Wales Tourist Info site but the location descriptions on the summaries seems to copy the same thing "next to The Tweedmill"

13. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

Airbnb & Homeaway (and booking.com I think) have 'pet friendly' filters.

14. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

15. S☼I

S☼I Where are the prophets? Where are the visionaries?

16. Rebelda

17. S☼I

S☼I Where are the prophets? Where are the visionaries?

Ruby is going to be staying with twentythreedom's fiancée, which is good. They can look after each other.

18. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

That's a bit of good news in an otherwise grim situation. Dogs are great at providing therapy and comfort so hope his fiancée finds some comfort from having Ruby there.

Maggot, Shirl, Looby and 6 others like this.
  19. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

I didn't cry earlier but I am a little bit now, thinking of them holding onto each other :(

20. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

I wish you had the chance to get bored. May the wind be ever in your favour x

pogofish, kebabking, Looby and 10 others like this.
  21. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

So fucking sad. I heard about this earlier but the more I am thinking about it the more upset I'm getting.

Life's short people, enjoy what you've got.

Rebelda, Looby, S☼I and 9 others like this.
  22. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

And enjoy your dog(s) while you can too.

You never know what tomorrow will bring.

[wanders off to give Lily another hug]

23. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

It's very upsetting. I'm glad lovely Ruby has a home.

pogofish, Sprocket., Looby and 9 others like this.
  24. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I’m really sad :(

Sprocket., BoatieBird, a_chap and 4 others like this.
  25. Rebelda

Hugs all round xxx

Red Cat, Sprocket. and a_chap like this.
  26. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The wild beast is contained:

[​IMG]

Not because he's been out savaging livestock or anything - He was grumpy about getting a bit of a trim! :D

27. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

A neighbour just popped by with her new pup - Tilly,a Cavapoo, eleven weeks old:

[​IMG]

The tabby looked-on with interest, not anger as is usual with dogs!

28. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

Terriers, hearts like lions. :D

29. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

CA32CA89-515C-464C-B8A6-72C3BF77A8CD.jpeg
    This is what happens if you leave your chair to make a cup of tea!

30. Rebelda

20190430_171859.jpg

If I try and pick it up to throw it she grabs it and tug of war ensures, if I kick it she body blocks it, but PLEASE THROW!