The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maurice Picarda, Oct 23, 2013.

1. izz

izz Madam, to you. :-P.

Happy Birthday, Daniel the Spaniel :D

2. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

OK, so only just got my head around this and feel able to post;

On Friday we were at a beach in Devon, Pepper was being run ragged with the ball thrower, she just keeps coming back for more. Then a load of Lurchers and Greyhounds roll on to the beach and she's running with them, all fairly normal. Just as we are packing up she starts wandering off towards the incoming sea, just staring straight ahead, not responding to being called or anything. I ended up having to wade out in to the sea to grab her and put her on the lead and walk her back, she's looking spaced out but walking fine. A fairly long walk back to the car and she's walking fine, jumps in to the boot and off we go. About 5 minutes later we smell shit, get to a Tesco car park and she's convulsing wildly having a massive fit, foam and blood coming out of her mouth (bit her tongue) and shit out the back. She's roasting hot. We grab a bottle of cold water and pour that on her, a woman in the car park runs in to the store and comes out with a towel soaked in cold water which we place over her and I call an emergency vet number, the nurse is there, we go straight there. The nurse says she thinks it is a hypoglycemic episode as her own working gun-dog runs itself to exhaustion and does the same; she gets oxygen and starts rubbing sugar-water on pepper's gums. Her temperature is high, 40.5, her blood-sugar level almost nil. More cold towels, more sugar-water and she calms down, the nurse gets loads more sugar-water urgently in to her mouth and the fitting starts again, (turns out later that she was slipping in to a coma). The vet arrives and puts a glucose IV line in, tells us to go for dinner and check in around 2 hours later. Well, after 2 hours she's still spanked, which is odd as a hypoglycemic attack should have stopped with the arrival of the glucose. We have to leave her there overnight. They observe her every 2 hours. By the morning she's OK. The vet says that every time they get her sugar levels up they would just crash down again, classic Xylitol poisoning. No idea at all what she ate with it in, we went through everything in the cottage and couldn't find it listed on an likely ingredients and Pepper's not particularly greedy, so wasn't robbing sandwiches on the beach or anything, but it's clear she's got it somehow.

She was fitting for over 40 minutes, that would kill most people, she came so very close to death that afternoon. She has some liver damage, a further blood test will be needed this Saturday to seen the extent and if her liver is regenerating itself. Other than that and being exhausted from it all, she's fine and went off the lead this morning as if nothing's happened.

Fuck.

kebabking and joustmaster like this.
  3. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

That sounds fucking awful. But you did all the right things and helped all you could. Hopefully the dickhead will recover well.

I just went to fuss Twiglet, after your sad story. She was in the garden eating my shoe.

S☼I, Me76, Enviro and 4 others like this.
  4. izz

izz Madam, to you. :-P.

What a horrible thing to have had happen Bahnhof Strasse and I'm so glad she's still with you. She may have picked up something from the beach while you all were looking the other way possibly before she was chasing a ball around. I do hope she makes a full recovery.

Enviro and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Jive Miguel, he’s in from Bogotá..

So sorry to hear this about Pepper, Bahnhof Strasse. You must have been on the verge of collapsing yourself.
    Horrific story but hopefully Pepper makes a quick recovery and suffers no lasting damage.

I have not heard of Xylitol poisoning before. I am aware now.
    Distressing as it was for you all, thanks for posting and raising awareness.
    All my best wishes.

Enviro and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  6. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Christ, that must have been terrifying. Hopefully peppers bloods will come back good and the liver is regenerating itself. ((pepper and you and family)) x

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  7. Rebelda

Rebelda Nearly as bad as Badgers

Fucking hell Bahnhof Strasse :eek: poor Pepper :( Sounds so terrifying, but you handled it like a pro. Well done.

Edward Kelly and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  8. Rebelda

Hope the kiddos are okay, were they with you?

9. Bahnhof Strasse

It was the nurse who saved her life, the vet stated that categorically. Can't thank her enough.

They were. Younger one (six years) went off in her auntie's car and was nonplussed by it, too young to understand the implications. Older one (fifteen) came with us and was quite shocked by the whole thing, but is OK now.

Thanks for asking though. x

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    weltweit, Saffy, Enviro and 4 others like this.
  10. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Jeez, Bahnhof. Glad Pepper is okay now. Well, hopefully her liver is okay — livers at least do regenerate

11. Bahnhof Strasse

The nurse's biog on their web-site:

Having lived here all her life and, always knowing she wanted to work with animals, ********** joined the vet team in 2008 and has now been qualified as a veterinary nurse for 7 years. She enjoys many aspects of the job but has a particular interest in training student nurses. Another aspect of interest is in bandaging and x-raying, especially when it involves going on a visit to help a vet with horse x-rays. She also enjoys running weight clinics and puppy parties! In her spare time she enjoys walking her dogs and riding her horse.

She's a wonderful human being :thumbs:

Libertad, Saffy, S☼I and 8 others like this.
  12. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Fuck bahnhof that must have been so scary glad she seems to be ok, fingers crossed for the blood results.

Sprocket., Enviro and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  13. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

(((Pepper)))

Bahnhof Strasse relieved your quick actions getting her to the vet practice and then the veterinary nurse's expertise saved her.

14. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Scary stuff! Hope she continues to do well.

15. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

jfc that must have been awful for everyone concerned, best wishes for a full recovery

16. Sprocket.

F7B5B305-92B8-4F9B-99C2-FA9800DFC8F6.jpeg
    Izzi wondering what’s all the fuss about being outside in the sunshine!

Manter, Calamity1971, Saffy and 10 others like this.
  17. kebabking

kebabking Bretwalda

Bahnhof Strasse Doggy hugs mate. Glad all seems to be ok.

From the people who brought you I'm so sorry, he's never done that before....

IMG_20190422_075907453.jpg
    IMG_20190422_075909555.jpg

Monty has been attacked, again, by some fucking nasty fucking small fucking dog, with the acquiescence of its fucking cunting twat fucking owner.

Pity he's soft as shite and didn't kill the fucking thing.

Calamity1971 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  18. a_chap

(((Monty)))

:(

kebabking and Sprocket. like this.
  19. Sprocket.

Sorry to read this kebabking, there really are some shit dog owners out there.
    Hopefully Monty can shrug it off and not become so timid he starts nipping at little dogs!
    Irresponsible bastards! :mad:

kebabking likes this.
  20. Rebelda

Bloody hell dog thread (((lovely Monty))) :( was it play gone wrong or out the blue attack? Leg says not rough and tumble fun gone awry :( salt water or hibiscrub aplenty if it doesn't need a vet. Hope he's not too sore x

kebabking and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  21. S☼I

S☼I bullshit bullshit my line

Here's hoping Pepper and Monty are back to normal soon.

Good news from Steely Dogland - Luna has had her stitches out, is healing nicely and most importantly what they removed was just a fatty lump. Managed not to cry in front of the vet but had a tear or two on the walk home. And when we got in I gave her a teaspoon of mayonnaise for being so good.

Me76, iona, Calamity1971 and 7 others like this.
  22. kebabking

kebabking Bretwalda

Just an out of the blue attack - Monty was on a lead with his fuckwit grin and this other thing was off lead and yapping like a cunt. It ranrup to him snarning, jumped up on his back and started biting, Monty gets all yelpy and it digs in with the owner pretending this is all horribly new.

I got it off, far from gently, and got scratched and bitten. He's all right, too much fur to get in the way - I've had a tetanus jab.

23. Rebelda

Fucksake :mad: (((you both)))

kebabking likes this.
  24. Bahnhof Strasse

Oh Monty. Once Pepper's up to full speed again I'm sure she'd love to come up and kill the little shitbag for you.

25. Rebelda

Yeah, we'll bring up a crew of urban hoolidogs :cool:

26. a_chap

Time to re-post Lily saying...

fwyyr5.jpg

27. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

Oh no! Big hugs to all the poorly doggos. :(

I'm going to read about xylitol poisoning now because I don't know anything about it!

kebabking likes this.
  28. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Sorry to read all the issues.

I used to walk a lovely and gentle lurcher, she was attacked by a terrier in the park. Luckily no serious damage but I was amazed at the terrier's owner who didn't seem to care a fig.

And terriers don't have to be like that if their owners are responsible, we had two and they were fine with other dogs.

29. Bahnhof Strasse

It makes for very grim reading. It seems that Pepper has been phenomenally lucky.

Saffy and kebabking like this.
  30. dessiato

dessiato Life is a lemon, and I want my money back

Hoping all your dogs recover quickly and fully.

I'd never heard of xylitol poisoning.