Was listening to the radio lunch time when they mentioned a sugar free sweetener that people are using more often, I forget the name, anyhow turns out it is poisonous for dogs. A woman who rang in said her dog had eaten a couple of brownies she had made with it, the dog became more and more ill over a few days and eventually died.
Wish I could remember the name of the sweetener, anyhow it is apparently in more and more food including some peanut butters. Deadly for dogs, no effect on cats.
OK, so only just got my head around this and feel able to post;Heres an article about it
Xylitol Poisoning In Dogs: A Deadly Sugar Substitue
That sounds fucking awful. But you did all the right things and helped all you could. Hopefully the dickhead will recover well.OK, so only just got my head around this and feel able to post;
On Friday we were at a beach in Devon, Pepper was being run ragged with the ball thrower, she just keeps coming back for more. Then a load of Lurchers and Greyhounds roll on to the beach and she's running with them, all fairly normal. Just as we are packing up she starts wandering off towards the incoming sea, just staring straight ahead, not responding to being called or anything. I ended up having to wade out in to the sea to grab her and put her on the lead and walk her back, she's looking spaced out but walking fine. A fairly long walk back to the car and she's walking fine, jumps in to the boot and off we go. About 5 minutes later we smell shit, get to a Tesco car park and she's convulsing wildly having a massive fit, foam and blood coming out of her mouth (bit her tongue) and shit out the back. She's roasting hot. We grab a bottle of cold water and pour that on her, a woman in the car park runs in to the store and comes out with a towel soaked in cold water which we place over her and I call an emergency vet number, the nurse is there, we go straight there. The nurse says she thinks it is a hypoglycemic episode as her own working gun-dog runs itself to exhaustion and does the same; she gets oxygen and starts rubbing sugar-water on pepper's gums. Her temperature is high, 40.5, her blood-sugar level almost nil. More cold towels, more sugar-water and she calms down, the nurse gets loads more sugar-water urgently in to her mouth and the fitting starts again, (turns out later that she was slipping in to a coma). The vet arrives and puts a glucose IV line in, tells us to go for dinner and check in around 2 hours later. Well, after 2 hours she's still spanked, which is odd as a hypoglycemic attack should have stopped with the arrival of the glucose. We have to leave her there overnight. They observe her every 2 hours. By the morning she's OK. The vet says that every time they get her sugar levels up they would just crash down again, classic Xylitol poisoning. No idea at all what she ate with it in, we went through everything in the cottage and couldn't find it listed on an likely ingredients and Pepper's not particularly greedy, so wasn't robbing sandwiches on the beach or anything, but it's clear she's got it somehow.
She was fitting for over 40 minutes, that would kill most people, she came so very close to death that afternoon. She has some liver damage, a further blood test will be needed this Saturday to seen the extent and if her liver is regenerating itself. Other than that and being exhausted from it all, she's fine and went off the lead this morning as if nothing's happened.
It was the nurse who saved her life, the vet stated that categorically. Can't thank her enough.
They were. Younger one (six years) went off in her auntie's car and was nonplussed by it, too young to understand the implications. Older one (fifteen) came with us and was quite shocked by the whole thing, but is OK now.Hope the kiddos are okay, were they with you?
Just an out of the blue attack - Monty was on a lead with his fuckwit grin and this other thing was off lead and yapping like a cunt. It ranrup to him snarning, jumped up on his back and started biting, Monty gets all yelpy and it digs in with the owner pretending this is all horribly new.Bloody hell dog thread (((lovely Monty))) was it play gone wrong or out the blue attack? Leg says not rough and tumble fun gone awry salt water or hibiscrub aplenty if it doesn't need a vet. Hope he's not too sore x
Fucksake (((you both)))Just an out of the blue attack - Monty was on a lead with his fuckwit grin and this other thing was off lead and yapping like a cunt. It ranrup to him snarning, jumped up on his back and started biting, Monty gets all yelpy and it digs in with the owner pretending this is all horribly new.
I got it off, far from gently, and got scratched and bitten. He's all right, too much fur to get in the way - I've had a tetanus jab.