The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

The 1/4" Snap-on Fixed Head "Techwrench" is a good torque wrench for bikes as it is accurate down to very low torques like 1Nm. Bicycle specific TWs are, without exception, useless garbage.

Sprocket. likes this.
  2. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

Everyday is a school day.

3. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Mate, I own 3 different torque wrenches, spanning a range of 1nM up to a brute that could probably do the bolts on a battleship :D :cool:

(also prefer Facom tools to Snap-On :p )

4. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for bikes for teenagers?

The frog bike recommendation for kids on here was good but I think she was on the biggest size they do and she outgrew it, looking for something bigger but probably still not full size so not too expensive?

She'd hate a road bike because bending hurts her back, the style of bike that seems to be ubiquitous in the Netherlands would be good but they're so heavy so probably mountain bike or hybrid

Thanks for any help

5. beesonthewhatnow

What sort of budget have you got, and what sort of riding does she want to do?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  6. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

We are looking at something like this for our 13 yo:

6KU Odessa 8spd City Bike - Coney White

Best thing is to get down to your local independent bike shop and try a few out.

weepiper likes this.
  7. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

How tall is she, and what's your rough budget?

8. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

About 5ft tall, I think
    Budget is probably under £500, preferably under £400

9. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

I expect that it's mostly riding around town, maybe some light off road on trails/tracks

10. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I suppose I'm looking for a fairly broad recommendation, what brand of bikes are well made or cheap shit sort of thing, and then off to the shop for sizing

11. beesonthewhatnow

There should still be Frog bikes that fit her then...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I had a horrible metal crunching sound when pedalling, kind of like when the bottom bracket was failing and the cranks were coming lose, but I had that fixed a couple of months ago... then I left the bike out in heavy rain last night and the sound has miraculously vanished! I guess it needed a power clean, was probably a twig or something.

13. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

My partner is considering something like this depending on fit, they'll visit a shop to try bikes out

2019 Pitch Womens

14. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Managed to snap my gear cable and only just got it back, but my wheel's on its last legs according to the mechnanic. I'm not likely to do massive amounts of distance over winter so think I'll hang off 'til Jan before I get a new one. Also need to find a new LBS as the nearest one is shutting - was saying he's been struggling all year against the online sales/amazon - after Christmas last year he didn't sell a helmet until well into January, as an example. That combined with the incessantly rising rents round here means he's done. Gutted.

15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Nietzsche on a bicycle. That gear ratio is a bit Will to Power, isn't it.

DtrNtuJXQAAgv_J.jpeg

16. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

In the 2001 edition of London-Edinburgh-Edinburgh, during the climb over Yad Moss, I was passed (fucking passed!!) by Steve Abraham riding a fixed wheel bike with a chain ring the size of a dinner plate. Looked remarkably like Nietzsche's.

Sprocket. likes this.
  17. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Quite impressed Nietzsche appears to be doing a track stand there.

18. a_chap

Is it me or do Nietzsche's bike's front forks look to be the wrong way 'round?

weepiper

19. beesonthewhatnow

Looks a bit like the fork on Froome’s Dogma F10

FE29D066-9898-4E5F-814E-3A0FE45F6448.jpeg

iamwithnail likes this.
  20. weepiper

It's a stayer bike. Designed for drafting a derny on the track. The backwards fork lets the rider tuck in closer to the derny bike for maximum aerodynamic benefit.

Sprocket., iamwithnail and a_chap like this.
  21. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

I have had a puncture every week for 4 weeks. Absolute balls. Gp 4000 all season, so decent tires, but shocking road conditions

22. a_chap

You learn something new every week!

Thanks, Weeps :thumbs:

Sprocket. likes this.
  23. weepiper

Check this bad boy out.

1971---moser-stayers-1.jpg

24. beesonthewhatnow

25. beesonthewhatnow

Finally got round to getting my bike winter ready - a new pair of Conti 4 Seasons, plus a set of full length mudguards.

The latter were a total PITA - they’re specific to my frame, so in theory fit really well. However, it would appear a hole that should be threaded on my bike, isn’t. So I’ve had to get a dremmel out and create a new hole in the guard that enabled me to fix it using a cable tie, albeit in an area you can’t actually see so it’s not so bad. Even more annoying though was the fact a bolt supplied with the kit for mounting a little bracket where the brake bridge usually is (I have discs) wasn’t long enough, so they wouldn’t stay in place.

Success was had though by raiding my “that may come in useful one day” store and using an old fastener from a kitchen cupboard I fitted around 8 years ago :thumbs::D:cool:

Sprocket. likes this.
  26. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Tap the hole. Tap and die sets are mega cheap on ebay/amazon.

27. weepiper

Giant Speedshield guards? They're a PITA.

28. beesonthewhatnow

No, for my Cube Attain.

Now I’ve got them on, they’re pretty good and actually look OK compared to some. It’s just a shame Cube didn’t put the right bolts in the pack and seemingly forgot to add the thread to a part when they built my bike :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  29. beesonthewhatnow

If you think I’m poking anything with a cutting edge into my carbon frame you can think again :eek: :D

30. weepiper

Sprocket. likes this.