1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Also, a question for weepiper or any other mechanically minded velocipedist - is there a trick to getting the spring tension on v-brakes adjusted properly/evenly? I spent bloody ages trying to get the front one of the frog above right this morning. It’s knda there but still uneven enough to annoy me when I see it working :D

2. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Monsall trail on the old railway line from Bakewell is ace if you fancy something easy and scenic, going through the tunnels is fun. Derbyshire has quite a few decent old railway paths.

Ted Striker likes this.
  3. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

It's just practice really. Make double sure the wheel is in straight, if you've just changed the tyres. If it's not quite lined up in the dropouts it's harder to balance the brake.

4. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

The spring rates of V brake springs can vary considerably. When you adjust the screw you are changing preload not rate so if you have a mismatched pair of springs they will never balance. You can tweak the spring rate by judicious bending but proceed with caution as even a small deformation can cause a significant change in rate.

Also make sure the posts and bushes are clean and lubricated. A shitty post on one side will cause balance problems.

5. beesonthewhatnow

Wheel is definitely straight. Will keep fiddling/swearing at it.

6. weepiper

What DD said too then. Take the brake boss bolts out, take the brake arms off the bosses, clean the boss with a rag and maybe give it a wee rub down with some sandpaper, grease it and refit the brake arms. Make sure the spring ends are both sitting in the middle one of the three holes. Adjust the screws again.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  7. beesonthewhatnow

That's the first one on our list :) 16 miles ish there and back which will be about right for her. Can't yet decide if I'm just going to hire a bike there or risk riding my road bike on it...

Dogsauce likes this.
  8. beesonthewhatnow

Just found a pair of Schwalbe cyclocross tyres for sale online that will fit my bike (30mm wide) for less than the cost of a days bike hire on the Monsal trail. I’ve got an old pair of flat pedals somewhere that I can put on instead of my SPD-SL’s as well. One road bike turned into a gravel trail explorer. Sorted :cool:

Dogsauce likes this.
  9. a_chap

a_chap A closed mouth gathers no feet

10. beesonthewhatnow

Something strange has happened to my tyres and pedals... :hmm: :D

IMG_0560.jpg IMG_0561.jpg

a_chap likes this.
  11. freethinker

freethinker Mindful

Today I saw a Dr. Bike set up locally. As you all probably know they claim to give your bike a free maintenance check and offer advice. A quick google search shows that they DO charge for repairs so I was wondering...are they honest, i.e. not likely to fabricate/exaggerate something that needs repairing for the sake of cashing in?

12. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

13. beesonthewhatnow

Errrrr, no?

14. High Voltage

High Voltage Bring on t'dancing girls & put t'champagne on ice

Now I'm no cyclist but even I can spot the changes to your bike - I also predict a major bike cleaning session in the not too distant future

beesonthewhatnow and a_chap like this.
  15. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Dr bike should just be a check over the bike and adjustments made (eg: tyre pressure, aligning brakes, indexing gears) but no parts replaced.

The company I work for isn't a bike shop and doesn't offer repairs so when we do Dr bikes we send people on to bike shops for repairs, there's no question of suggesting unnecessary work for profit.

If the person or company doing the Dr bike offers you repairs, they are no more or less likely than a bike shop person or company to be inventing unnecessary work so really it's just the same question of trust as a paid bike service isn't it?

freethinker, a_chap and weepiper like this.
  16. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I think my alcohol intake last night might have been responsible for this rather than your frame.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  17. beesonthewhatnow

:D :cool:

18. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Thanks, I think I've found my next bike:
    Specialized Diverge E5 2018 Adventure Road Bike | ROAD BIKES | Evans Cycles

weepiper and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  19. weepiper

Orang Utan likes this.
  20. Orang Utan

:( That's the top end of my budget

21. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

How are those Tektro Mira brakes? I've never seen a set in the wild and have always assumed they are crap.

22. beesonthewhatnow

23. weepiper

No, they seem pretty good really. Obviously I've only seen brand new ones so can't comment what they're like when they're worn in but they set up pretty reliably and they have a good lever feel compared to a lot of other cable op discs.

24. Orang Utan

25. beesonthewhatnow

While the suspension thing is nice I wouldn’t view it as essential. If you can get something that can take big (35mm wise or more) tyres then the lower pressures you’ll be able to run at will massively increase the comfort levels anyway. If you go tubeless you can go lower still, with the bonus of basically forgetting about punctures.

Are you set on drops or would flat bars be an option?

26. Orang Utan

Would prefer not to have drops as I never use them - I don't feel safe or comfortable when crouched over my bike and I get sore hand from having to reach for my brakes

27. beesonthewhatnow

Flat bars opens up a load more options then... Will be back after tea/kids bedtime :D

28. weepiper

I have a new (to me) toy. My first drop bar bike since I borrowed one to do my cycling proficiency test on 30 years ago.

IMG_20180218_125533587.jpg

beesonthewhatnow and waxoyl like this.
  29. beesonthewhatnow

Something like this maybe?

Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc 2018 Flat Bar Road Bike Green £724.99

Aluminium frame/carbon fork, Sora gears, hydraulic disc brakes, comes with 32mm wide tyres but frame has clearance for wider if you wanted...

Orang Utan likes this.
  30. beesonthewhatnow

There is a version of that with the future shock suspension thingy, but it’s somewhere around 1750 quid...