The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I think I would like it... where I live is massively oversaturated with bike shops at the moment though.

2. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I have been riding a bike for about 30 years and it only just occurred to me to dismount using the "high style method" as detailed in this link How to Dismount from a Bicycle
    (I didn't consciously decide to learn it, it just happened one time... I don't come to a full stop though, just gracefully step off when it's slowed to walking pace and smoothly walk off)

3. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

It's never occurred to me to do it any other way!

4. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Today’s cycling lessons were:

A) Don’t believe the forecast when it says you won’t need your rain jacket

And

B) At 30mph frozen hailstones in your face really fucking hurt

:rolleyes: :D

PursuedByBears, mojo pixy and a_chap like this.
  5. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Take it down to Pedaler's Arms (near Mabgate) and they'll show you how to sort the wheels out. If you're into fixing stuff yourself it's well worth the £15-25 per year recommended donation for membership. Got tools for any job.

As for jackets, Aldi ones are fine for the money, do the job for commuting.

Orang Utan likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

cheers that looks great - didn't know about it. I shall certainly pay a visit as it's not much of a diversion from my commute

7. Dogsauce

It's a great place, sometimes have bike-related film nights too. Opening hours can be a bit erratic as it's volunteer-run, so keep an eye on the website.

Orang Utan likes this.
  8. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

We had a customer today who had a 15 minute stand-up row with the manager over a 7 pound labour charge. :confused::mad::facepalm:

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  9. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Not normally a fan of Halfords for bike stuff but.... they have the odd good value thing there.
    Just picked up a Kryptonite Fahggettaboudit U-Lock for £65 - which is cheaper than I could find anywhere else on line

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. beesonthewhatnow

You mean your shop doesn’t fix things for free?

:facepalm: :D

11. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

12. beesonthewhatnow

Christ, what a stupid cunt.

iamwithnail likes this.
  13. Dogsauce

I need a wet weather bike. That and the space to store more than one bike in the flat. Fucking winter.

14. beesonthewhatnow

Today I Had my first ride of the year so far that wasn’t miserable in some way or another. Sun was out, roads were dry (just about anyway) and I’m back to averaging over 15mph again.

It was bloody cold but meh, can’t have everything at this time of year :D

PursuedByBears likes this.
  15. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Sounds nice. I went out on Saturday and did 80 very hilly miles in persistent drizzle interspersed with heavy rain. Many of the roads were like rivers. First proper ride of the year. I did enjoy it though..... kinda.

16. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

left crank on bike has some play. i tried tightening but it's still wobbly.
    is this bad news? :(

17. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

If it's a square taper BB the crank has deformed and is finished.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  18. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Thanks - I had the BB replaced in my last service 4 weeks ago.
    Shoddy job then.

19. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

The crank bolt probably wasn't torqued correctly allowing the crank arm to move on the BB axle. As the crank arm is softer (aluminum) than the axle (steel) it deforms with movement.

20. Orang Utan

Looking kinda ridiculous in the shorts/long johns combo of my winter riding outfit, bit I am very warm and toasty:
    IMG_20180207_085451.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    weepiper likes this.
  21. beesonthewhatnow

I've come to the conclusion that all cycling clothing looks fairly ridiculous, so you may as well embrace it. Most of mine is fluro yellow and orange :D

22. Orang Utan

Glad I spent a fair bit on a decent bag/rucksack too. I barely feel it on my back, despite carrying a heavy chain and d-lock everywhere in it.

23. Dogsauce

That happened to me once when out on a solo ride, tried tightening it back up but the thread was ruined. Ended up having to ride from Fylingdales back into Leeds with one pedal (with an old-school cage). Fortunately there were quite a few long gently sloping downhill bits to coast on so it only took about an hour longer than usual.

24. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm fine with looking like a div as long as I'm comfy/dry.

25. beesonthewhatnow

26. braindancer

braindancer not for long

15,000 riders? Jesus! Sounds like utter mayhem....

27. beesonthewhatnow

RIde London has 20,000 iirc

Was the same number for Velo B’ham. Riders set off in waves over approx 2 hours, fastest riders first. The feed stations were a bit crowded but otherwise it was fine. Closed roads remember...

28. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Fair enough - my bike rides are normally comprised of me, myself and I - it's what I do to get away from other people so this doesn't appeal in the slightest! I live in Sussex though and cycle round the downs a lot so I'm sure it will be a nice route....

PursuedByBears and Orang Utan like this.
  29. beesonthewhatnow

Most of my riding is on my own, but the B’ham ride was an amazing experience. Riding on closed roads was fantastic - being able to fly through junctions and roundabouts without having to slow and check, using all the road etc, plus the atmosphere of having so many other people riding around at once as well as cheering crowds was brilliant :cool: :)

braindancer likes this.
  30. beesonthewhatnow

Put some chunkier tyres on my daughters Frog this morning, as we have plans to go explore a few trails in Derbyshire over the half term holiday :cool:

269A9FC6-C8DD-4482-BFF6-09BB9252C6A3.jpeg