1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Clipless pedals are brilliant and about the best thing you can get for a bike. Yes, you will fall off at least once, everyone does. You will feel very silly and then it won't happen again. You just have to get used to the unclipping motion with your foot, fairly quickly it just becomes a reflex and you don't even think about doing it.

As for what type to get, all depends on the type of cycling you do. There's essentially two types "road" (e.g. Shimano SPD-SL) and "mountain bike" (e.g. Shimano SPD).

The road types use shoes with very stiff plastic or carbon soles and have exposed plastic cleats, with pedals you can only clip into on one side. They're great for long miles/speed. The main disadvantage is that they are very difficult to walk in off the bike. Tiled floors become like an ice rink and, again, you will slip and fall over at least once. Trust me on this :oops: :D

The mountain bike types typically use shoes that look more like (or in some cases are) normal trainers/shoes. The cleats are much smaller, made of metal and are recessed into the sole. This means you can walk off the bike normally. The pedals tend to be dual sided, which in theory makes for slightly easier clipping in. The disadvantage is that the contact point with the pedal is smaller than a pure road pedal, so some people find them not as comfy for longer distances. you can also get pedals with a clip on one side and a normal flat surface on the other, which means you can ride without having to wear your specific cycling shoes.

weepiper and Hellsbells like this.
  3. beesonthewhatnow

4. beesonthewhatnow

The other limit is speed - once you go past 15.5 mph the motor will cut out, leaving you riding a normal, but now very heavy, bike.

A quick google will provide many companies selling kits to bypass this, with the caveat that this makes the bike illegal for UK roads.

5. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

When I rode down to Raynes Park in rush hour last week I was tailing a guy along CS7 through Brixton on a disability trike with a motor (looked like a regular wheelchair from behind, with a trike bit out front). They were rolling along at a fairly steady 20mph, which made me wonder if or what power/speed limits there are for such things.

6. sealion

sealion Marilise Legijuana

Ta. I have had a good chat today with various local dealers. Not one of them would recommend the conversion, saying they are hit and miss and can weaken the frame, plus other issues that can go wrong. All in all my bike wasn't made to run on a motor, so i will look into getting a purpose built one at some stage.

7. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

The only one I could find that was in stock in any my local shops was weldtite TF2 teflon. the main thing they said was to avoid lithium.

9. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I beg to differ. I fell off 3 times with my pedals. It's terrifying at first and so I concentrated all the time but then as you get used it your brain waivers......then you suddenly fall sideways :facepalm:;) No damage in each situation but there do seem to be moments when your brain kind of gets stuck.

For your first pedals just get MTB SPD with recessed shoes , unless you're super fit and doing sportifs etc the ease of use is more preferable.

Hellsbells likes this.
  10. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Oh yes and as an avid climber here's my favourite climb. It's the classic English countryside olde track that goes into a tunnel, the Darkness. You wouldn't want to walk up here on a dark and stormy night. You're not rewarded with a view at the top but if you're lucky you'll meet other cyclists recovering.
    Anyone recognise it? obviously SE England

Attached Files:

11. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Yorks Hill, Sevenoaks. SE of Ide HIll?
    No been there (yet) - but you left the name on the image :D

May bear it in mind for future outings

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

The streets of Leeds are fucking with my bike.
    I think both of my wheels are slightly buckled, as the brakes tend to hold on to the rim on one side when I release them, and there is a noticeable throb when I apply the front brake sharply. Dunno if I should get new wheels or not, the back one is only a couple of months old.
    I need to get a new bike this year and am thinking I'll have to stop riding a road bike as the roads are so rough here. Don't want a heavy hybrid though. :(

13. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Hah, derrrr, it didn't embed, yes it's a must to tackle :oops:

14. beesonthewhatnow

If they’re only slightly wonky a bit of work with a spoke key should sort them out.

Just how bad are the roads? Maybe look to get one of the new “adventure road” bikes that can run fatter tyres - lower pressure = bit more comfort and cushioning

Orang Utan likes this.
  15. Orang Utan

Almost post-apocalyptic - they just don't seem to repair them at all, and the busier they are the less likely they are to repair them as the city is so gridlocked if there's any disruption. They occasionally get temporary fill-ins for some potholes but they just make the road even more uneven. There are some that I just can't avoid unless I swerve in front of fast moving and dense traffic.
    Here is a road in Leeds, yesterday:
    2011-10-09_00008.jpg

Hellsbells, a_chap and fishfinger like this.
  16. Orang Utan

Got some nice new shorts with padded detachable pants inside - they make so much difference.
    I also wanted to buy a new brightly coloured raincoat, but they're so dear - the first one I looked at in Cycle Surgery was £300. £300 for a bit of plastic! Surely there are cheaper ones that are just as good? And do they have to be yellow for safety? Or can I choose another colour and say safe?

17. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Yorks hill - you think you're ok, but there is a horrible kick at the end.

18. beesonthewhatnow

I wouldn’t worry too much about hiviz, fuckers still pull out on you.

Have a look at DHB stuff for the jacket - Wiggle’s own brand. I’ve got various bits of their kit and it’s all pretty good quality at reasonable prices.

Wiggle | dhb ASV Race eVent Waterproof Jacket | Cycling Waterproof Jackets is the waterproof I have - it’s brilliant, but very much a “race” cut that might not be so good for commuting. They do all sorts of others though - Wiggle | dhb Flashlight Force Waterproof Jacket | Cycling Waterproof Jackets maybe?

19. Orang Utan

Cheers, but the only dhb they have in my size is £96. Not sure if I can justify that - the shorts cost £60 and that price made me blanch to pay it.

20. beesonthewhatnow

Orang Utan likes this.
  21. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

No, they don't need to be yellow (and if you are riding in rural areas, probably best not to be yellow as in the wrong light that yellow and the green of the bushes/plants can get pretty similar looking, the was a court case in the last few years where the judge accepted the hi Vis had camouflaged the cyclist who was hit, can't quickly find it right now, but i can search if anyone wishes)

The purpose of hi Vis is to create a contrast in colour with your surroundings, because the human eye reacts to colour contrast. Any bright colour is likely to do this in an urban location. White and red together (checks for blocks of colour, rather than stripes) is probably the most effective. Anything bright is good. Hi Vis is flourescent which is essentially as bright a colour as possible and usually comes with reflectives which are far more important at night.

But hi Vis does fuck all for the drivers who do not look or do not look properly or far enough ahead, or aren't planning. Its effectiveness is practically very small in reality, it won't keep you safe, even if it does help some drivers see you a little earlier.

Rosemary Jest and Orang Utan like this.
  22. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

What bees... said

Gravel / adventure bike. Specialized Diverge has future shock front suspension on all but the lowest model, I believe. Ditto the Roubaix
    Trek Domane has something called isospeed that also cushions the bumps. Sure there are other makes as well.
    As well as fatter tyres, you could also go tubeless with compatable wheels, that would also let you have lower pressure

I love my Diverge

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Orang Utan likes this.
  23. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Potholes everywhere atm

24. Orang Utan

I suppose they get worse in winter cos ice expands in the cracks

25. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Got a job interview in three weeks and hopefully will get it. After I start I'm going to so the cycle to work scheme on a set if awesome wheels.

I'm thinking carbon disc tubeless :cool:
    Any recommendations other than hunt or fulcrum quattros?

26. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It was pretty satisfying getting rid of the noise on the front wheel by cleaning and greasing the bearings. I thought I did the cone nuts up a bit too tight, but actually I just loosened the quick release nut a little but and now it seems to spin fine. Is there anything else I can grease? I guess the back wheel bearings next... is it worth doing the crank bearings, or is that a nightmare?

27. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I have come to the conclusion that the most important tool/product for a bike owner to have is a rag... I reckon you could get away with just a rag pretty well.

28. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It depends on the vintage of your bike. Modern bottom brackets (mostly) use cartridge bearings and are so cheap that once you've got it out you might as well replace it.

rutabowa likes this.
  29. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

The frame is 90s, but it was entirely refurbed by some bike charity thing about 10 years ago and they seem to have used maintainable stock parts from what i can tell... I'll take it apart and have a look anyway it is quite fun.

weepiper likes this.
  30. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Careful, this is how I ended up a bike mechanic.

beesonthewhatnow and rutabowa like this.