The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

I got a pair for these for Xmas...

[​IMG]

Got to be worth 0.1w/kg.

2. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Nipped out for a few miles this afternoon, hoping to enjoy a bit of wind propulsion, but instead it seemed like the roads of Norf Landen were crowded with every fuckwit imaginable, cars doing U-turns just when they felt like it, or pulling out of parking spaces without looking, or just merely existing in the wrong place. Fucks sake, I felt like a caged animal. How is a young man supposed to cut loose on roads like this? I've still got a bit of a cold at the moment too, and my lungs are no less sore for having to repeatedly shout 'cuuuuunt' at some metal box operator for not bothering looking.

3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

*Joins thread*

I bought a Coyote Connect E-bike yesterday - Halfords have it on sale for £500 but I got it for £300 second hand. It's not a bad little bike. I took it out for a 16 mile test run today through Richmond Park and Kingston and it's so satisfying to get the battery assist and feel like I'm getting gentle, not vigorous sweat-breaking exercise. At times on a flat road it feels like your not making any effort at all, as long as you're moving your legs and peddling. Plus it folds down to carry on the tube or throw in the boot of a car.

Anyone else interested in these things? Or is this thread only for hardcore pedal power purists? :D

sealion likes this.
  4. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I suppose the obvious reposte from cyclists to this statement "At times on a flat road it feels like your not making any effort at all" is....Get a better bike ! That bike looks like hard work if it didn't have a motor and battery (extra weight)

You can get a super non E bike from halfords for less....£162=>

[​IMG]

5. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Please don't buy one of those, you'll regret it.

6. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Anyone else watched this bizarre film about the hill climbing season. There's something very English about the whole thing, a bit mad with tea & cake added in. The Canondale customised bike is fascinating. yes, the bloke himself is a bit annoying.

7. weepiper

First proper ride of the year today (besides commuting I mean). Went out with the intention of an easy pootle for an hour or so. Came back from 20 offroad miles with 1500 feet of climbing ice, whoops :)

IMG_20180107_145438818.jpg IMG_20180107_143410692.jpg IMG_20180107_150728849_HDR.jpg

8. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

It was an example. My nephew had a similar cheapo one last year with no problems so far the Carrera Zelos. Even saw someone from cycling club riding one !

9. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I’ll be out for the first time since Xmas this coming week. I’m not looking forward to it :oops: :D

PursuedByBears and weepiper like this.
  10. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

11. weepiper

The Zelos while still cheap is miles better than that Apollo one. It has a much better riding position, actual sti shifters and brakes that will actually stop you.

12. weepiper

I had to really drag myself out because it was minus two :D but once I was out it was grand.

PursuedByBears likes this.
  13. beesonthewhatnow

I’ve got a lovely new thermal jersey and gilet, so I can’t even use the cold as an excuse :D

14. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Went out for a pre-dawn run this morning but felt absolutely shit, still not over the festive illness (after about three weeks) and also carrying a couple more kilos on the waist than a couple of months ago. Have to wear so many layers when it's this cold also makes sprinting hard work. Shame as there was a pretty good easterly wind today for the first time in ages so lots I could have had a go at. Winter can fuck off.

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Let's talk GREASE, i need to clean the wheel bearings after a dirty winter, they are making a noise, is there some recommended general grease? I guess chain lube is to liquid to work.

16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

... I was going to suggest using vaseline as a joke, but apparently it works fine.

17. DownwardDog

Park PPL-1 is fine, Finish Line Ceramic is best.

rutabowa likes this.
  18. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Got new wheels. :cool: They are fast.

19. beesonthewhatnow

More information required. And pics :p :D

20. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of getting one because i now live surround by hills (and i'm not getting any younger) :mad: It would certainly get me out and about more. Have heard good and bad reports back from friends and vendors alike. There is also an option of getting a conversion done on my existing bike- giant rapid hybrid-. Again i hear conflicting reports, Pros being not having to buy a new bike and saving money- Cons being a lot of alterations, bike not intended to be motorised and stuff about torque. So i'm undecided. Anyone got any knowledge on these conversion kits available ?

21. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

I'm considering getting some clipless pedals and shoes and was just looking for some advice.
    Will clipless pedals make much difference to my cycling? Will they help me get up steep hills? What if I fall off? Isn't it more dangerous as I'd still be stuck to my bike?!

22. DownwardDog

I did a conversion on a Giant CRX a few years ago for my wife and, while it was ok, I would not recommend it now. OEM e-bikes are now so much better than the conversions. Madame has a Lapierre Overvolt Shaper which she likes.

BigTom, weepiper and sealion like this.
  23. sealion

Tell me about these please :)

24. weepiper

I haven't seen a conversion kit that I rate at all. Agree with DownwardDog, electric bikes that have been designed round the motor are miles better, especially if you get one with a bottom bracket mounted drive instead of a hub drive as the centre of gravity feels much more stable and like a normal bike to ride.

BigTom and sealion like this.
  25. DownwardDog

This is the one she has:
    Overvolt SHAPER 800 | Lapierre Bikes

It's got Bosch motor and (importantly) Shimano hydraulic brakes with a 160mm from disc.

26. sealion

This makes sense. A geezer i spoke to said to remember that a conversion is no longer the bike i originally bought and may not suit at all.

27. sealion

Is it still classed as a bicycle if it's over 250wh ? and how much did it cost ? You can pm that if it's :eek: :D

28. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

I think going clipless is probably the best thing you can door your bike, after getting padded shorts. (IMHO)

Have a bit of practice somewhere quiet to build confidence of clipping in and out - until you realise how easy it is to unclip if needed (though we have all fallen off at least once from forgetting to clip out). My personal preference is 2 sided pedals with a platform so that you don't have to flip the pedal when setting off - but others may disagree.
    I have Shimano XT SPD trail pedals (2 sided) coupled with Vibrate soled shoes with recessed cleats, so I can walk. Used to have Crank brothers - Nice mechanism but the pedals kept on breaking avery 6 months
    Previously I had Time - again easy clip in but I was advised that they are falling out of fashion and are hard to get now

Mate got a nice road bike for Xmas (Synapse) - it came with "basket" pedals. He has just got lipless and has got the hang of it after only a couple of rides

Hellsbells likes this.
  29. DownwardDog

E-bikes with more than 250w are illegal here (Western Australia) so we bought it in France on holiday and shipped it back. I think it was about 1,900 euros.

sealion likes this.
  30. sealion

I don't think anything over 250w is legal here in England either.. Not a bad thing either i suppose.